Help deciding! Split stay?

Kristine3204

Mouseketeer
Hi! First time using DVC — can’t decide whether to do a split stay (AKV kidani savanna view for 4 nights, then VGF2 studio the following 4 nights) or do the full 8 nights at VGF. We’re a family of 4 (with a 2 year old and a 4 year old). Would it be too much to transfer hotels with small kids? There’s just too many amazing resorts we would love to try!

And trying to throw Polynesian in there too but figured a split stay between Poly and Vgf would be too similar? (Going thanksgiving week)

Help! Too many great choices.

I'm strongly anti split stay unless there's no other availability, particularly with young kids. I can't settle in when I know I have to move in the middle of the trip. An 8 night trip is nice and long. Two 4 night trips flies by.

IMO, I would do the Kidani/VGF split. The kids will probably love the animals. I would use that time to enjoy the resort. I would use VGF to enjoy MK and monorail stuff. It is annoying that you only have buses from AKL, BUT we have done it with a 3 and 7 year old and it was fine. I also had a scooter on the trip. We LOVED Kidani. Both resorts have kiddie splash areas.

The hotels handle the luggage for you so we basically make sure to have a change of clothes for the kids and anything else you may need before evening. You never know when the next room will be open. It's just something to factor in to the day's schedule. It may be hard for your 2 year old if you need to get back to a room. If that's the case, then stay at 1 resort.

I agree with the previous poster. We recently got back from our 5th WDW trip, which was the first time we did a split stay. I don't think I would do it again unless I had to. It felt like the whole thing just flew by much faster than previous trips. That said, we stayed at Kidani twice when our kids were a little bit younger and really loved it. The splash area at Kidani is so nice for the little ones.

We are relatively new to split stays but now really love them. If your kids like animals they will love AKL, and around Thanksgiving you may appreciate not having to go into the (super crowded) parks every day. It's hard to beat AKL for a hotel day.

We love split stays! We have young kids and almost always do a split stay... either epcot resort with mk resort or animal kingdom with mk resort. We use our moving day as a "sleep-in" day and then do a fun character meal or disney springs. Our boys love getting to explore 2 resorts and 2 pools in one trip.

Just imagine having to take time away from your fun to pack- and find all the things… and organize, and decide what to toss (maps, gift bags, receipts) … and repack after the four year old reeeeaaallyy wants the toy you just packed… and wait for Bell Services to carry your bags down (by the end of the first leg of our last stay we had 11 bags for four people)… and then realize you forgot something in a bag so you buy a replacement for the day…and the two year old’s (necessity) was left in the last room… and then unpack and get back to the vacation…

I love AKL, it’s my favorite resort. But I am never doing that again. Of course, you may be more organized than we are!

Did a split stay with a 1 2 and 7 year old. We drove so that helped, but we absolutely loved it. Like Sandi said, its almost like two vacations in one trip. I think doing AKL and VGF would be great. AKL to hit up AK and either HS or Epcot, then move to VGF with that easy walk or monorail for a couple days at MK.

We did sleep in, did a nice breakfast vs grabbing stuff as we ran out the door to rope drop, then hit the pool all day on our transfer day.

Was our first dvc stay and if we can get good splits, plan to basically always do a split stay now!

We just did a poly/RIV split stay with our almost 3 year old and it worked great! He enjoyed getting to try two different splash pads. We moved from a studio to one bedroom though which made a huge difference. I think we will always do three nights in an mk studio followed by 4 nights in a 1 bedroom from now on. Just need to buy either a few more RIV points or some VGF points.

We just did a poly/RIV split stay with our almost 3 year old and it worked great! He enjoyed getting to try two different splash pads. We moved from a studio to one bedroom though which made a huge difference. I think we will always do three nights in an mk studio followed by 4 nights in a 1 bedroom from now on. Just need to buy either a few more RIV points or some VGF points.
this happened to us as well.... did a split with a 1 bedroom and realized how much we LOVE the 1 bedroom with kids! we've added on a few times now!

We are big fans of split stays and have been doing them since before #2 was even conceived. (They are now 6, 10) - and this is what we do too:
We love split stays! We have young kids and almost always do a split stay... either epcot resort with mk resort or animal kingdom with mk resort. We use our moving day as a "sleep-in" day and then do a fun character meal or disney springs. Our boys love getting to explore 2 resorts and 2 pools in one trip.
Are you in a studio at both places? If so, my vote would be to do a split, but we have had good experiences and never had a sick kid. The main challenge is if someone naps or is tired on move day, what to do. When my kids were that young, we would do a late-start park day with a double stroller, we'd do laundry the night before so everything was clean, and book an ADR near the second resort. We got pretty good at finding good places for a stroller stroll/nap and were never too late getting in to the second resort.

(One exception - on move out day from BCV, we'd spend a pool day at BCV and maybe go to epcot for lunch.)

We love split stays so much that we have another one coming up and we bought in the MK and EP/HS areas for that purpose. 3 nights is my minimum time in each place, though. We did do a 3-way split in April 2021 - BCV 1br (3) - AKV 1br (3) - RIV st (2) and that was a little too much moving. Also - since the short staffing during covid we've moved our luggage ourselves. I'd be interested to hear if the luggage transfer has gotten better. The luggage transfer to AKV was a nightmare during that trip - multiple calls that our luggage had arrived when it hadn't, etc. that when we moved to RIV, DH took an uber with our stuff while I took the kids to Epcot, and he met us there.

I would vote for the AKV/VGF split stay. Do AK and HS while you are at AKV and then MK and EP while you are at VGF. Then you only have to deal with the buses while you are at AKV and you can use the Monorail to EP while you are at VGF.

We did one split stay, CC& BCV to try CC & BCV in January 2020 (we love Wilderness Lodge and always did BRV/VWL) and never again lol not packing up unless I’m going home!

Thank you so much everyone!! I booked the full 8 nights at VGF late lastnight after reading everyone’s replies.

But then after reading todays replies… I’m torn again 🤣

I started a thread on why I’ll never do a split stay again for another perspective, may strike home given the young ones. Some interesting reactions to our predicament Ranging from understanding to outright hostility suggesting we spend time sitting in a park

https://www.disboards.com/threads/never-doing-a-split-stay-again.3878884/
I read your thread lastnight and was shocked at some peoples reactions. The unnecessary hostility was amazing, it’s like they’ve never had a sick kid before🤦🏽‍♀️.

But kids unexpectedly getting sick (or even just being cranky) during transfer day is definitely something I didn’t consider before reading that. Between your post and the person right after you, it made me think staying in one place is definitely a good idea lol.

Just imagine having to take time away from your fun to pack- and find all the things… and organize, and decide what to toss (maps, gift bags, receipts) … and repack after the four year old reeeeaaallyy wants the toy you just packed… and wait for Bell Services to carry your bags down (by the end of the first leg of our last stay we had 11 bags for four people)… and then realize you forgot something in a bag so you buy a replacement for the day…and the two year old’s (necessity) was left in the last room… and then unpack and get back to the vacation…

I love AKL, it’s my favorite resort. But I am never doing that again. Of course, you may be more organized than we are!
Lol yes I can imagine it now.. unpacking and repacking again definitely does not sound fun.

We are big fans of split stays and have been doing them since before #2 was even conceived. (They are now 6, 10) - and this is what we do too:

Are you in a studio at both places? If so, my vote would be to do a split, but we have had good experiences and never had a sick kid. The main challenge is if someone naps or is tired on move day, what to do. When my kids were that young, we would do a late-start park day with a double stroller, we'd do laundry the night before so everything was clean, and book an ADR near the second resort. We got pretty good at finding good places for a stroller stroll/nap and were never too late getting in to the second resort.

(One exception - on move out day from BCV, we'd spend a pool day at BCV and maybe go to epcot for lunch.)

We love split stays so much that we have another one coming up and we bought in the MK and EP/HS areas for that purpose. 3 nights is my minimum time in each place, though. We did do a 3-way split in April 2021 - BCV 1br (3) - AKV 1br (3) - RIV st (2) and that was a little too much moving. Also - since the short staffing during covid we've moved our luggage ourselves. I'd be interested to hear if the luggage transfer has gotten better. The luggage transfer to AKV was a nightmare during that trip - multiple calls that our luggage had arrived when it hadn't, etc. that when we moved to RIV, DH took an uber with our stuff while I took the kids to Epcot, and he met us there.

Yes it would be a studio at both places! My kids don’t nap in the room anyway so I figured transfer day wouldn’t be a big deal since they can nap in the double stroller like they normally do. Late start pack day and adr near VGF (second resort) would definitely work.

I’m leaning towards doing a split stay again😩. I THINK I can be organized enough to not have too much packing and unpacking to do lol. Thinking pack one set of luggage for first half of trip and another for the second half.

So another option is BCV 1br for 3 nights then 5 nights at VGF studio. Or still go for Kidani savanna/VGF split?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter