• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

help deciding what time of year to go for next trip

wendlle

Aussie Wendy
So, we typially go to Disneyland or WDW in September but I'm really over the extreme heat and kinda sick of Halloween. In 2022 I went in mid November and loved the Christmas feel but it was so jam packed with people at Disneyland it was hard to enjoy it.

I'm looking at coming back in 2025 and thinking of a different time of year but not sure when. I can't do mid December - end of March due to my job.

I have two young kids who next year will be 9 and 6, I'm wanting to take them to San Diego next year as I haven't been there for 10+ years and absolutely loved it there so will combine San Diego with Anaheim over a 2 week period.

Thanks for any tips, I know it's busy all the time now but would like to avoid major holidays or seasonal events as they seem to bring out more crowds for limited time stuff.

I really like early May. Nice weather, after spring break but before summer. Just beware of Grad Nites.

May would be a good time. It's before school gets out and the weather is nice. Just plan around Grad Nites. June can also be a nice time to go, but it's sometimes hot and summer vacation will have started for some schools.

May would be an OK time for me, It's also my birthday :) So that is a nice little birthday present for me too LOL
I'm going to lock it in for 2025
sadly no trip this year but will just mean 2025 is even more fun!

Early May likely will have Star Wars Nites and for 2024 they added “Season of the Force” from beginning of April to beginning of June. Could be a plus or minus depending on how much you like Star Wars.

Early May likely will have Star Wars Nites and for 2024 they added “Season of the Force” from beginning of April to beginning of June. Could be a plus or minus depending on how much you like Star Wars.
I do not care for Star Wars at all. we usually avoid the entire star wars area as nothing there appeals to us at all.
I imagine though most of the stuff would be contained to Galaxy's Edge? or Tomorrowland anyway?

We actually did thanksgiving week this year and it wasn't too bad at all. We had no problems riding most of the major rides we wanted with the worst of the bunch having 40 to 50 min waits. Love the seasonal decorations at the parks and Grand Cal. We've decided it's our favorite time to visit and we have already booked the week for 2024 with our VGC points. Halloween/OBB was okay, but we like the Christmas them/decor much better.

May isn't too bad. We had a good time last May. The light re-theme of Space Mountain was a hit for our family.

We actually did thanksgiving week this year and it wasn't too bad at all. We had no problems riding most of the major rides we wanted with the worst of the bunch having 40 to 50 min waits. Love the seasonal decorations at the parks and Grand Cal. We've decided it's our favorite time to visit and we have already booked the week for 2024 with our VGC points. Halloween/OBB was okay, but we like the Christmas them/decor much better.

May isn't too bad. We had a good time last May. The light re-theme of Space Mountain was a hit for our family.
I absolutely adored the Christmas vibe but would like to try a different time of year. I think May sounds good. What is the temp likely to be around this time of year?

I absolutely adored the Christmas vibe but would like to try a different time of year. I think May sounds good. What is the temp likely to be around this time of year?
Just scanned through the photos of our late May 2023 trip and it looked like we were wearing pants with mostly short sleeve shirts on and light hoodies or think jackets on. I remember it still cooling down in some parts of the day but also being warm enough to want to use our small portable fans from time to time.

Just scanned through the photos of our late May 2023 trip and it looked like we were wearing pants with mostly short sleeve shirts on and light hoodies or think jackets on. I remember it still cooling down in some parts of the day but also being warm enough to want to use our small portable fans from time to time.
hmmm, possibly sounds like the November weather we had. It was cool in the morning and evening but pleasant during the day. We wore pants and T-shirts and took cardigans or sweaters for the night.

What is the temp likely to be around this time of year?
I like to celebrate my May birthday at DL, so I’ve been many times. Typically, it’s beautiful, usually I just want a light jacket in the evening. However, one year we were there during a heat wave and it was 105+ on all 5 of our park days. Anything can happen.

We visited late April early May in 2022 and most days it was around 28 Deg during the day and cooler at night. We had a couple of 30 Dec days though which was too hot for us. We live in Daylesford in the Victorian Highlands and most of the year it is really quite cold so we just don't cope with the heat at all. If you come from a warmer area in Aus you will probably be fine.

Thanks for all the replies, I think i have worked out dates based around a disney cruise we are going to take, it would mean we are in Disneyland sometime arriving around May 20-25th time frame.
Would this be OK do you think?
I really don't think we can handle the heat we had last September again. It was just too much for my kids.

Here are some photos from those same days in 2023 -

IMG_7124 Copy.jpeg

IMG_7067 Copy.jpeg

IMG_7527.jpeg

IMG_7201.jpeg

Some days were warmer than others and I’d recommend being able to deal with a range of mid 50s to high 70s (low 80s if it’s very warm for that time of year). I see us in pants the entire trip and light jackets a good chunk of the time. I remember it being a nice time to visit :)

Thanks for all the replies, I think i have worked out dates based around a disney cruise we are going to take, it would mean we are in Disneyland sometime arriving around May 20-25th time frame.
Would this be OK do you think?

Depending on how long you are planning to stay, those dates will put you at DLR during Memorial Day weekend. Crowds will increase, but it shouldn’t be as insane as during Halloween and Christmas.

I would put in a vote for April - Springtime at DLR is absolutely gorgeous and so fun with ducklings waddling around. The majority of local school districts have spring break in March, so crowds aren’t too bad. It’s also worth it to avoid grad nites at all costs in my opinion - the entire day is pretty unpleasant on days they’re scheduled.

Depending on how long you are planning to stay, those dates will put you at DLR during Memorial Day weekend. Crowds will increase, but it shouldn’t be as insane as during Halloween and Christmas.

I would put in a vote for April - Springtime at DLR is absolutely gorgeous and so fun with ducklings waddling around. The majority of local school districts have spring break in March, so crowds aren’t too bad. It’s also worth it to avoid grad nites at all costs in my opinion - the entire day is pretty unpleasant on days they’re scheduled.
I can't come in April as this trip is part of a larger trip that includes a cruise which has a set date.
We would be staying for 4-5 days.

I'm a big fan of July. It's not as hot usually as September. Park hours are also at their longest, the most Magic Key's are blocked out, there's usually no special events/after hours, there tends to be very few rides under refurb, and entertainment is offered every night!

I'm a big fan of July. It's not as hot usually as September. Park hours are also at their longest, the most Magic Key's are blocked out, there's usually no special events/after hours, there tends to be very few rides under refurb, and entertainment is offered every night!
wouldn't the crowds be huge due to school being on vacation?

The crowds are huge all year. And no, actually July is less busy than many other times of year. It wasn't always this way, but has been for several years now.
good to know for the trip after the next, we are set on May as I booked a cruise as part of a larger trip.
Not sure I could handle July in Orlando (the trip to DL is also part of a larger trip that includes WDW) but July would be a good time to go for me as it's winter in Australia and a quieter time for my work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter