HELP! EBTA cruisers, didn't leave the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would just bite the bullet and do a round trip in and out of the USA. Norwegian Air has a round trip flight from AMS to JFK on 07/28 returning 07/29 for $1369.00USD. It would not be ideal losing $1400 bucks but it's better than losing out on never being able to return to the U.S. or missing an upcoming DCL cruise.
Losing $2800 bucks because there is no use if I can return, but my husband can't

Losing $2800 bucks because there is no use if I can return, but my husband can't

I can definitely understand that but it sounds like you have about a week to get this resolved. The closer you get to the end of that week, the more last minute airfare will increase. Relying on DHS/CBP/INS etc to resolve a major issue in less than 6 days may not happen. Unfortunately we have tens of millions of illegal immigrants living in the U.S. (more than any other single country in the world). I'm sure you're aware this uses up considerable DHS resources, causing law abiding people like yourself to be treated like back of the bus. I know Europe has some immigrant issues too but luckily that is spread out over almost 30 different countries, so no single country has to bear the overwhelming burden like we do. I know it's $2800 bucks but waiting till day 6 or 7, it may be three times that amount.

On another note, it sounded like at first DCL was hesitant to take up your issue. Didn't you pay your port fees to DCL? Weren't the port fees supposed to cover manifests, customs documents, passenger lists, etc. To me, if I paid my port fees to DCL and the port fees didn't cover what they were supposed to cover, that is definitely on DCL to get that resolved since you paid your port fees to them to handle on your behalf. Just saying.

Flying to the US to try to show that you've left strikes me as a bad idea on several levels. Besides the significant cost and inconvenience, if they have no record that you left the country, what are they going to say when you try to return?

Even if this doesn't get sorted out in the next few days, I really don't believe that you will be banned from the US forever. Mistakes happen (obviously), and they have processes to correct them. I think you're right to be concerned and proactive, and absolutely have every reason to be outraged that you're being put through the stress and effort of getting it fixed, but it will almost certainly be straightened out in the long run.

If you're not certain that the proof you've provided is sufficient, one option might be to get a notarized letter explaining the situation and stating your current location. The notary would be verifying your identity and witnessing your signature. Where I live, a city employee can do this without an appointment for $15.

I can definitely understand that but it sounds like you have about a week to get this resolved. The closer you get to the end of that week, the more last minute airfare will increase. Relying on DHS/CBP/INS etc to resolve a major issue in less than 6 days may not happen. Unfortunately we have tens of millions of illegal immigrants living in the U.S. (more than any other single country in the world). I'm sure you're aware this uses up considerable DHS resources, causing law abiding people like yourself to be treated like back of the bus. I know Europe has some immigrant issues too but luckily that is spread out over almost 30 different countries, so no single country has to bear the overwhelming burden like we do. I know it's $2800 bucks but waiting till day 6 or 7, it may be three times that amount.

On another note, it sounded like at first DCL was hesitant to take up your issue. Didn't you pay your port fees to DCL? Weren't the port fees supposed to cover manifests, customs documents, passenger lists, etc. To me, if I paid my port fees to DCL and the port fees didn't cover what they were supposed to cover, that is definitely on DCL to get that resolved since you paid your port fees to them to handle on your behalf. Just saying.
I wish we could just blow almost $3000,- to fix an issue like this. But we can't. Not doing it might safe money in the long run too, no more cruises or WDW or Hawaii :rolleyes1

Got an update from DCL, everybody who send them a message seems to have gotten this exact same message:

Disney Cruise Line has confirmed that the information presented to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) regarding the May 12, 2019, Disney Magic sailing from Miami, Florida, to Barcelona, Spain, was received correctly.

We are working with CBP to understand why some Guests received notification of potentially over-staying their visas. Guests who receive these types of notifications are encouraged to submit their travel documents to CBP as proof of their travels.

I am so sorry you experienced this!

For reference, we've sailed on Disney Cruise Line in 2018. When returning to the US, we were expecting the border agent to re-stamp our passports to extend our stay in the US, but nothing happened. We didn't ask since we didn't need extension anyway.

I hope that you will have your issues sorted before it is too late. You have probably been thinking about it, if I were you, I would leave/re-enter the country, even if it costs!

There was once a similar issue with UK visitors departing through Sanford International. Their departure was not processed correctly by either the airline or the authorities, so every single passenger was then shown as overstayers, which of course they didn't find out about until having booked their next trip when they were all denied boarding as their ESTAS had been revoked. The chaos that this caused was unbelievable and resolving it took forever. It cost the passengers thousands of pounds in lost vacations not to mention the disappointment to children who had been looking forward to a trip to WDW. I can't remember how it was eventually resolved but it was without anyone admitting liability for the mess.

For reference, we've sailed on Disney Cruise Line in 2018. When returning to the US, we were expecting the border agent to re-stamp our passports to extend our stay in the US, but nothing happened. We didn't ask since we didn't need extension anyway.

What kind of cruise was this? If it was a closed-loop cruise (starting and ending in the same US port), you don't actually go through passport control prior to boarding the ship, so this is completely normal.

There was once a similar issue with UK visitors departing through Sanford International. Their departure was not processed correctly by either the airline or the authorities, so every single passenger was then shown as overstayers, which of course they didn't find out about until having booked their next trip when they were all denied boarding as their ESTAS had been revoked. The chaos that this caused was unbelievable and resolving it took forever. It cost the passengers thousands of pounds in lost vacations not to mention the disappointment to children who had been looking forward to a trip to WDW. I can't remember how it was eventually resolved but it was without anyone admitting liability for the mess.
I was actually wondering if the same could happen if a plane wasn’t registered correctly. Good to hear it got resolved in the end! Since we know now before we’re overstaying, we won’t loose any vacation, as we don’t have any planned right now (we actually almost booked a trip to WDW this week, but didn’t in the end!), I really don’t care who’s fault it was and if they are willing to admit to it or not. I just want it resolved.

So far Disney confirmed the correct passenger list was send to CBP (is that border protection?) and CBP confirms receiving it. So they seem to be following its path

For many Europeans, the only way to move to America is to go on a tourist visa and over stay. There are thousand of Europeans living in America who have overstayed their tourist visas.

Same for many many Americans wanting to move (no one wants Americans, especially once they are over 30 and/or aren’t independently wealthy).

I nearly did that (just stayed) in 1995 when I didn’t want to leave Ireland. But I didn’t want to be caught then sent away never to return, so I went “home”. Sigh.

I'm sure media would be interested in this story, someone should consider contacting a journalist or newspaper

And that’s what someone was saying earlier. The fact that it happened to a big group means it could easily be brought up into the light of the media.

I was actually wondering if the same could happen if a plane wasn’t registered correctly. Good to hear it got resolved in the end! Since we know now before we’re overstaying, we won’t loose any vacation, as we don’t have any planned right now (we actually almost booked a trip to WDW this week, but didn’t in the end!), I really don’t care who’s fault it was and if they are willing to admit to it or not. I just want it resolved.

So far Disney confirmed the correct passenger list was send to CBP (is that border protection?) and CBP confirms receiving it. So they seem to be following its path
I really hope that it is resolved for you quickly. I can only imagine the worry and annoyance.

Same for many many Americans wanting to move (no one wants Americans, especially once they are over 30 and/or aren’t independently wealthy).

I nearly did that (just stayed) in 1995 when I didn’t want to leave Ireland. But I didn’t want to be caught then sent away never to return, so I went “home”. Sigh.

And that’s what someone was saying earlier. The fact that it happened to a big group means it could easily be brought up into the light of the media.
But also a lot of different countries. Seems the country with the biggest bunch of people effected and the place where the media would jump on it would the UK. Not sure Disney would be impressed with media coverage in the Netherlands. Also only 11 guests effected.

CBP is the abbreviation for Customs and Border Protection, so yes ;)
Thanks

Also thanks everybody for the compassion! It really is a worrying experience to go through. At the moment I've accepted it, for what it is. It likely will work out, if it doesn't, it doesn't and this was a freak thing that I really couldn't do a lot more for the resolve.

Last edited:
Do you know how many Europeans are affected? How many from the UK?
No, I don't they didn't give the number the first night this cruise. Also Disney still uses words like, "some people", while, as far as I know, everybody how checked had the issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter