Help! Expedition Everest / ToT!?

medisney115

Earning My Ears
I've been to Disneyworld once (where I got engaged!) - and have been to Disneyland Toykyo a few times.
I'm nervous about EE going backwards...any review/suggestions?
Also - ToT - I'm nervous about as well...I do like those pirate ships at carnivals (that don't go upside down) - and big thunder mountain is my favorite (couldn't go on space because of lines and lack of time last time - but am planning on it this time)

Not a huge roller coaster, have my tummy drop sort of person.

Review / suggestions are helpful! I'm going next week!

Was just in the World for the 1st time. Did EE and really enjoyed it, but it is quick ride so is great to FP if you can. When you go backwards in the dark I had the sensation of going upside down but I really don't know if we did. I would definately give it try.
Now in saying that I didn't give TofT a try as being strapped into an elevator and having it fall does not apeal to the claustraphobic in me. (I tried Mission to Mars earlier in the week which did not go well for me so I had extra fear about being confined do to that experience) So my DH, DS3 & DD4 did TofT and the kids came bounding off of it saying "Mommy that was so much fun, to bad you didn't come on!" Talk about making me feel like a scaredy cat!

I've been to Disneyworld once (where I got engaged!) - and have been to Disneyland Toykyo a few times.
I'm nervous about EE going backwards...any review/suggestions?
Also - ToT - I'm nervous about as well...I do like those pirate ships at carnivals (that don't go upside down) - and big thunder mountain is my favorite (couldn't go on space because of lines and lack of time last time - but am planning on it this time)

Not a huge roller coaster, have my tummy drop sort of person.

Review / suggestions are helpful! I'm going next week!

IMO, EE is pretty tame for a thrill ride. ToT would be the bigger issue if you aren't a 'tummy drop' person, but it's also fairly tame IMO. Especially since you can't see most of it....I have more of an issue with rides like Drop Zone @ Kings Island when you can see that you're 300' in the air (and @ the same level as the Eiffel Tower observation deck). :eek:

-Kevin

Please believe me when I say I cannot do roller coasters as well.

But I have done EE a few times and it is fine. YES I freak out a bit, but the thing is, it really isn't that intense.
The backwards motion is only a tiny bit of the ride, about 15-20 seconds and doesn't really whip you around. I just say to myself, what I don't see WON'T hurt me. lol
The drop isn't that bad either. To be honest the first time I rode it, since I didn't know when it was going to happen it was half way thru before I knew it was the drop. The second time I knew when to expect it, so I felt it a bit more...but again....fine.

I say ride it.........and remember what you don't know or see will be over before you realize it is happening. ;)

When you go backwards in the dark I had the sensation of going upside down but I really don't know if we did. I would definately give it try.

You didn't. RnRC is the only upside down ride in WDW.

-Kevin

I love roller coasters, but the older I get, they don't love me as much...:)

But when you have a husband and two kids who like them, you adjust. These are somethings I do:

1. I take non-drowsy formula Dramamine/Bonine. I take one every morning and get something in my stomach before hitting the parks.
2. KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN! For me this works because when I get into a dark place, I tend to close my eyes. When I do that, it only increases my disorientation. So, I have learned to keep my eyes OPEN and look for light.
3. I can't help you with TOT. I did it ONE time...and that was it for me. It is just not my thing - again the dark issue...

I did RRC and was fine - it was a fast ride and though in the dark, there many spots of light.

Good Luck!

I can't go backwards, either! I CAN, however, ride EE. ONCE and with non-ride time on both sides. I also know that my stomach tends to be queasy when I'm riding at WDW and take ginger with me to eat throughout the day.

I don't have any trouble on ToT or RnRC either. I've found that, at least at WDW, as long as I don't do rides of this type too close together I'm okay.

IMO, neither ride is all that bad, and both are well worth experiencing. The backwards section of EE isn't that bad--it's less of a "tummy drop" sensation and more of a "pushing you down into your seat" kind of thing. One good thing about EE is that it's a very smooth ride and doesn't bump you around a whole lot. ToT, I was REALLY nervous about the first time I rode it, but I ended up laughing and throwing my hands in the air and having a great time.

My advice would be to go ahead and try both of them. And if you have any problems with motion sickness, take something like Dramamine before you hit the parks. I'll never forget the time my sister and I rode EE twice in a row without any Dramamine--bad mistake on my part. :sad2:

I won't ride EE because of my fear of heights-I wouldn't be able to take the slow incline ride going up!:scared1:
I have ridden TOT several times, but it isn't my favorite ride! If you don't like drops, you don't need to ride! One drop would be okay, but you have several drops!!!!
Good luck!!!!:thumbsup2

I rode EE in 2006 and did fine - thought it was pretty tame, actually. I rode again this year and Yikes! I thought I might get sick right there on the ride! It was the backwards part that made my stomach upset. I ended up needing to sit down when I got off and felt queasy for awhile afterwards. Don't know what the difference was this trip:confused3.

I do not do roller coasters at all! I didn't do EE, TOT, or RRC in 2007 when we took our kids for their first trip. When we went in 2009 I said I would try them. I tried to back out of EE but my DD9 said she would do it if I did. How could I NOT ride it after that? Well, I rode it(with my eyes closed) and didn't think it was all that bad. I also rode TOT with my eyes closed but did open them when I could see the light. I had to get that view when the doors opened. They give you this teeny bar to hold on to. They expect 2 peple to hold on to that little bitty thing?! Again, not my cup of tea. I was so nervous about riding RRC because I do not like to go upside down. I have a fear of falling out of my seat. Well, I rode it, with my eyes closed AGAIN, worried the whole time about my DD9 being scared and when we got off the ride, she's the one that said how awesome it was..lol.. I informed my family that I wouldn't be riding those 3 rides this year when we go but I will happily await them at the exit..It's Disney World so you HAVE to ride everything atleast once! I did and I made it..

I understand your concerns. However I really must push you to go on these rides!

All Disney rides have been engineered so well. These two included. Statistically, it is more risky to drive in a car than to go on these rides. Although it may be nerve-wracking because you are not in control, all theme park rides, especially Disney rides, are VERY controlled.

If this is a motion sickness problem, don't worry. Rock N roller coaster bothers me more than these two, but the only Disney ride that has gotten me really motion sick is Mission Space. Keep your eyes open. Make sure you've eaten some protein at least an hour and a half before.

I promise that you will NOT regret these rides!

Life is short, my friend. Ride! Ride! Ride!!!! :rotfl: I am afraid too, but EE is one of my favorite attractions of any park anywhere! :cool1:

Big thunder mountain's my favorite too! I was so scared of EE because of the backwards part... I had to be dragged on there lol x3 I sat in the middle... going backwards wasn't bad at all imo! To me, it didn't feel like you were going upside down... it just felt like you were going backwards and up at the same time... kind of like going up a backwards J x] It was just really fun hahah.

Thank you everyone for your honest opinions! It makes me feel a little better...I've read some scary posts about feeling disoriented on EE...I keep telling myself it will only be for 15 seconds (which is nothing!) Last time I got out of all the 'scary' rides because I went with a group of people, not just my fiance. You would think at 23 - I would have these 'rollercoaster fears' under control!
Def going to ride EE...ToT we'll see :)

Oh - and what the heck does "DD4" mean? I keep seeing it posted on this site along with "DH"...help? :)

There is a slang thread somewhere on here. But "DD" means Dear Daughter and the age of the child....DD4, dear daughter that is 4yrs old.

DH stands for Dear Husband. DW...is wife or Disney World depending on the context.

DS is dear son.....and so on.

It takes a long time to learn all the abbreveations to things here. ;)

In my opinion you need to try them both. EE has the coolest Yeti inside and you only go backwards for a couple seconds. I was terrified of the ToT, the picture they took of me grabbing my 38 year old friends arm as we dropped is proof. However I would go on it again (only if I had someone to go with me though). EE is much tamer, so try that one first, and if you don't like it skip ToT.

have fun next week

thanks to the original posted for helping me muster the courage too to do EE.

I skipped it the past 3 trips but this time i WILLLLLL do it!!

the backwards part doesnt sound bad!

I imagine it as like im falling off the mountain in the dark backwards as fast as possible lol, but i guess its not that bad.

Just another suggestion...depending on what bothers you about the rides.

If it is the sensation you get (stomach in your mouth kind of feeling) that bothers you: SCREAM!!!!! LOUD!!! This works wonders on eliminating that sensation in your stomach.

If you're just scared of how high a ride goes or going backwards, closing your eyes at that point will probably help.

If it's nausea (motion sickness), take Dramamine or Bonine with your breakfast, you'll be good to go.

Have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter