Help from the experts needed ASAP!

czycropper

DIS Veteran
OK - so I've been asked by my DD high school cheer coach to take photos of the cheerleaders tonight at the last game of the season. I have a Canon EOS T2i and 2 lenses - 18-135mm and a 50mm.

I'd like to take photos of them stunting and I have tried using the "Sports" auto setting and it comes out blurry or at least it has in the past. I have also tried "TV" setting with an ISO 3200 but I'm not sure what to put it on 1:400 or lower.

Should I do "P" setting? or what setting should I put it on?

These photos will e used for the Senior Cheer banquet on Nov. 17th - so I want them to look as good as possible.

Thanks for any & all help!!!!

What type of cheerleading, in that do you have space to move around? If you have space to move around, I would use the 50 because of the large constant aperture, using the foot zoom. As Havoc stated, the fastest shutter speed that you can get away with. Do you have an external flash? That is another option. If you do, check with the school to see if it is allowed. Many times HS sports restrict flash photography as it may interfere with the athletes during the event. I would say, without the flash, my slowest shutter speed would be 1/400 and I would try to go higher, if possible. I would sacrifice some noise instead of a blurry image.

It's football cheer but they stunt/tumble after every score (homecoming the score was 56-12-so lots of stunts & tumbling). I've been granted access to be with them in the field but try not to use the flash too much since they're so close to the sidelines...

50mm.

I have also tried "TV" setting with an ISO 3200 but I'm not sure what to put it on 1:400 or lower.

I also think the 50 is your best option. The zoom lens is just not going to give you enough light at your average high school football game. I'd try TV and 1/400, or 1/320 with the highest ISO you can set. The noise from the high ISO setting will be a lot easier to clean up than blur from a too-slow shutter speed.

You might try positioning yourself so they tumble/stunt toward you, and stand still taking pictures as they approach. That way you can have some group shots, and then try to focus in on individuals as they get closer.

Also, you might consider setting your autofocus to AI Servo. This will force the camera to adjust the focus as your subjects move toward or away from you. This will be important as the depth of field will be shallow with the wide apertures you get from the 50mm lens.

Good luck!

OK - so I've been asked by my DD high school cheer coach to take photos of the cheerleaders tonight at the last game of the season.

I'd like to take photos of them stunting and I have tried using the "Sports" auto setting and it comes out blurry or at least it has in the past. I have also tried "TV" setting with an ISO 3200 but I'm not sure what to put it on 1:400 or lower.
QUOTE]

I realize this advice is kinda late.... but I would have positioned myself under a stadium light to brighten up the images at night, especially with the quick movements.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter