• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HELP! Got stuck on Hulk now have claustrophobia on any restraint device

GOHERD

Earning My Ears
Ugh I got stuck on the hulk in a weird spot at a weird angle for about 25 minutes. I just hung there and talked to the person beside me. No big deal. All of the sudden after 20 minutes I started feeling really weird and nearly had a full panic attack that I was stuck and couldn't move. Fortunately the ride moved about 2 minutes after the attack. Fast forward 4 years and I now feel terribly uncomfortable in the back seat of cars, middle seat of planes, elevators, and almost any ride at Universal. Which sucks because I loved roller coasters. I can sometimes get back on the Hulk and have ridden it 3-4 time since but its really uncomfortable. I feel the panic as soon as the harness comes down and I stress the whole time that if it stops I will panic.
I even tried taking a Xanax (i have kids that want me to ride). I felt rather high but as soon as the harness came down, the feeling was right back.

Any home practice ideas to fight through this? I don't want to be that dad holding the bags like I did for 4 days last month.

Reactions: shh
I feel the panic as soon as the harness comes down and I stress the whole time that if it stops I will panic.
I don't have any great suggestions for you, so we'll see if others share. But just wanted you to know I feel EXACTLY the same way...only I don't start feeling like that until the ride is over.

When the vehicle comes to a stop...I start getting a little panicky worried I'll be stuck there. On rides where I can move a bit and the harnesses aren't too confining, I'm fine. It's just ones that hold you in place that freak me out - especially if you're stuck outside in the broiling sun and can't move - I'm actually getting a little freaked out just thinking about it - lol.

I force myself to fight the fear and keep riding because I love these rides so much, but I totally understand what you're feeling. It stinks.

I don't have any great suggestions for you, so we'll see if others share. But just wanted you to know I feel EXACTLY the same way...only I don't start feeling like that until the ride is over.

When the vehicle comes to a stop...I start getting a little panicky worried I'll be stuck there. On rides where I can move a bit and the harnesses aren't too confining, I'm fine. It's just ones that hold you in place that freak me out - especially if you're stuck outside in the broiling sun and can't move - I'm actually getting a little freaked out just thinking about it - lol.

I force myself to fight the fear and keep riding because I love these rides so much, but I totally understand what you're feeling. It stinks.
I have trouble even with Spider man and the Simpsons now. I had to stop the Jimmy Fallon ride mid way. I've fought thru it on the middle seat of a plane but it was terrible.
I was think to find something similar at home so that i can work thru it

Have you talked to a doctor about maybe a different antianxiety med that might work better for your situation?

I have only once felt like a panic attack was happening... fortunately I had an orange in my purse and the smell and peeling it gave my brain something else to focus on...
I use this when I am trying to drink something healthy like tomato juice I do not like tomatoes but I turn on the cold water to let it run while I am drinking it and my brain thinks it is water.
I usually try to have a lollipop in my purse or car because it actually takes a lot of techniques and careful eating so I find the concentration gives my brain a different focus.
I think elderly people like to have a wooden cross that is made specifically to hold and feel to help calm them or perhaps a smooth stone even. I did have a heart shaped button from a children’s game to hold. Wish I still had that.
I try to avoid the doctor but understand your situation is not so simple.
I am sorry this has happened to you . I hope you allow your brain to conquer this fear. It would seem the brain is causing the problem and the brain should solve it!

Sorry to hear about your anxiety. I've been dealing with a mild case of the last few years, but fortunately it has not come into play with roller-coasters. The closest I came was getting stuck on Superman at Six Flags over Georgia for what seemed like forever (but was probably just 5 minutes). It is a very awkward position to be stuck in to say the least. I had to constantly close my eyes and slow down my breathing to give me something else to focus on. When I ride now, I mentally prepare myself for it to happen again and hope for the best...

me, wife, and kid had our first Florida trip last year. first ride was Manta at SW...we got on in the first row for the first ride of the day!...it lifted us up and pointed us towards the floor before takeoff...then it dropped us back down onto the floor and they came over the speaker saying "we are experiencing technical difficulties." Like a couple minutes later they said it was ready and my wife and kid got on but I DID NOT! That "technical difficulties" really screwed me in the head for the entire trip. After that I was scared getting on the log rides that I have always loved and never feared even as a small child and the only roller coasters I rode were Hagrids and Mummy nothing big. I think part of it is knowing that once I get locked into position there is no getting off the ride at that point (unless what happened to me on Manta happens again). And I don't want a big roller coaster I'm on to have "technical difficulties." Going back to FL in the Spring and I hope I can overcome this. :(

Last edited:
Ugh I got stuck on the hulk in a weird spot at a weird angle for about 25 minutes. I just hung there and talked to the person beside me. No big deal. All of the sudden after 20 minutes I started feeling really weird and nearly had a full panic attack that I was stuck and couldn't move. Fortunately the ride moved about 2 minutes after the attack. Fast forward 4 years and I now feel terribly uncomfortable in the back seat of cars, middle seat of planes, elevators, and almost any ride at Universal. Which sucks because I loved roller coasters. I can sometimes get back on the Hulk and have ridden it 3-4 time since but its really uncomfortable. I feel the panic as soon as the harness comes down and I stress the whole time that if it stops I will panic.
I even tried taking a Xanax (i have kids that want me to ride). I felt rather high but as soon as the harness came down, the feeling was right back.

Any home practice ideas to fight through this? I don't want to be that dad holding the bags like I did for 4 days last month.

How about a few shots of fire whiskey over at Hogshead first!!!

I totally understand what you are going through. Mission Space at DW triggered me. I have the exact same problems as you.

Being well hydrated, and keeping a bottle of water on you at all times will help. Popping mints or a throat lozenge in your mouth will help to distract you. I find Halls is the best. I also keep a fully charged cell phone on me at all times. And I carry around 1 Ativan pill in case of emergency. lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter