Help: Hats in the Parks and DTD (Recently)

SOCALMouseMommy

DIS Veteran
I could really use some help so I wanted to reach out to everyone here.

My 9-year-old niece was diagnosed with cancer this summer. It’s been very difficult, but the issue of the moment is all her hair recently fell out and she’s feeling very upset. She doesn’t want anyone to look at her (not even on Zoom for school).

She is a huge Disney fan (we all live locally and my kids and I used to go to the parks with my niece and my SIL all the time until she was diagnosed). Not only can my niece not go out, neither can my SIL or brother, so my older son and I have been bringing her special gifts from Disneyland.

Has anyone seen soft-looking hats in the park lately that are not beanies (it’s just way, way too hot right now). Preferably something that comes down low to hide her bald head?

I’m going to make a special trip to try to find a good hat or two, as well as some other little things (pins and other small items) they been using to help bribe her to take her meds. I won’t have a lot of time, probably squeezing in a night visit after the kids go to bed, so it would be great to have some leads. I’ll of course look at Emporium and the Mad Hatter, but if anyone has seem something in either of the parks lately I would love some suggestions!

My son and niece (they are the best of friends!)
90C5E0E8-0769-44B2-BFC1-D29605B6C09D.jpeg

I am so sorry to hear about your niece's diagnosis.

I know there is a Madame Leota baseball style hat with pretty beads. That might not be what you're looking for though.

They have a lot of new hats in the stores now! There is a cute bucket hat with lots of splashes of pastel colors, although I don't know how soft it is, but bucket hats are usually pretty soft/flexible. It's the newer tie dye pattern they just released. A bucket hat is a good choice because it covers down to the neck and they are usually small sized.

They have a lot of new hats in the stores now! There is a cute bucket hat with lots of splashes of pastel colors, although I don't know how soft it is, but bucket hats are usually pretty soft/flexible. It's the newer tie dye pattern they just released. A bucket hat is a good choice because it covers down to the neck and they are usually small sized.
Ahhhh bucket hat is a great idea. I keep feeling like the baseball caps won't be enough coverage for her. I'm also going to look for beanies because as soon as it cools down (whenever that is!) her head will be cold. Those are so nice and soft too.

I could really use some help so I wanted to reach out to everyone here.

My 9-year-old niece was diagnosed with cancer this summer. It’s been very difficult, but the issue of the moment is all her hair recently fell out and she’s feeling very upset. She doesn’t want anyone to look at her (not even on Zoom for school).

She is a huge Disney fan (we all live locally and my kids and I used to go to the parks with my niece and my SIL all the time until she was diagnosed). Not only can my niece not go out, neither can my SIL or brother, so my older son and I have been bringing her special gifts from Disneyland.

Has anyone seen soft-looking hats in the park lately that are not beanies (it’s just way, way too hot right now). Preferably something that comes down low to hide her bald head?

I’m going to make a special trip to try to find a good hat or two, as well as some other little things (pins and other small items) they been using to help bribe her to take her meds. I won’t have a lot of time, probably squeezing in a night visit after the kids go to bed, so it would be great to have some leads. I’ll of course look at Emporium and the Mad Hatter, but if anyone has seem something in either of the parks lately I would love some suggestions!

My son and niece (they are the best of friends!)
View attachment 699314
Big hug to your niece and to you! Have you looked on Etsy? I've found super cute Disney hats in lots of styles there. Often, the vendor can work with you on customizing a hat to specific measurements. So an adult hat can be made for a child or in a specific color or personalized. Hope you find lots of cute things for her!

Big hug to your niece and to you! Have you looked on Etsy? I've found super cute Disney hats in lots of styles there. Often, the vendor can work with you on customizing a hat to specific measurements. So an adult hat can be made for a child or in a specific color or personalized. Hope you find lots of cute things for her!
Thank you so much! Poor sweetheart, it’s been so terrible for her and her parents (and us too!).

I'm so, sorry to hear about your niece. I hope some Disney magic can brighten her difficult days even a little bit. The only hat we bought last time was a Guardians of the Galaxy baseball hat in Avenger's Campus, but maybe that isn't the style she's looking for. I agree with the previous poster about checking Etsy. I find so many good Disney things there.

Thank you all again for the feedback and well wishes. We ventured out today (hottest day of the year, yikes) and found these two great hats (my niece loves Stitch). Also picked up some pins and a pineapple cookie for her. Mission accomplished (until it cools off and it’s beanie time).

ED19B3EA-1502-40B9-AF99-D15F53CB11DB.jpeg
F49DB8B3-AFC7-4B06-8D72-CF2A480DB822.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter