Help - Hotel Advice Needed!

Tinkaroo

DIS Veteran
My DH and I are making an excursion to DL next month - DH has never been, and I've only been once, about 18 years ago.

Question - I have a room booked at the HoJo with the Mousesavers discount of about $79/night. After reading some reviews regarding noise, attractiveness, etc., I began to rethink, and could also reserve a room at the Candy Cane Inn, but the cheapest available on their site is $139/night.

Then, I read about the Fastpass privileges with a AAA package at a DLR hotel. If we booked the DLH (the only one I'm interested in), the room would be about $233/night with taxes (and I'm assuming resort fees).

What would you recommend? There doesn't seem to be as much information floating out there about DL like there is for WDW, and I'm torn. TIA!

I too struggled with the on site vs off site, cheaper vs more money issue. In the end it is really about what you want out of a vacation that you can afford. We are going late January and staying at the DLH. (which is where we stayed for the first time in April.) I finally decided to stay there for the following reasons:
1. I love the hotel
2. I really can't justify the extra expense of the grand California,
3. I want the option of room service, which we used twice last year. (also I enjoyed the bar on property for an evening glass of wine as we wondered the property)
4. I enjoy the walk through DTD on the way to the parks, and not having to worry about traffic, (I have a DD 5)
5. We only take nice trips about once a year so I am willing to spend a little more.
6. The hotel was clean, confortable and well maintained.
7. No noise issues or freeway issues.
8. traveling with a 5 year old we actually spend time in the room, as we cannot do the parks from open to close.

Whatever you decide I am sure you will have a great time.

I have stayed at the DLH and the Candy Cane Inn, so I can at least speak to that. Since I see that you have stayed at the WDW hotels, I feel that the DLH will be a bit of a let down after those. While it is clean and nicely located, it is not really worth the money in my opinion. You may use Fastpass with any ticket you have in the park. You don't need to use AAA for that or stay at the DLH.
I feel that if you are trying to save a bit of money, the Candy Cane Inn would be well worth it. It is charming and has a decent breakfast in the morning. It is walking distance from the main entrance. I will be staying there the next time I go. I feel the money you save would be better used eating a nice dinner at the Blue Bayou. Hope this helps... :)

The HOJO consistently gets good reviews as a good value and great hotel on this site. That said - I haven't stayed there - so I can only give you info on the other 2!
We adore the CCI - it's well worth the money if you can afford the upgrade from the HOJO(again - never stayed at the HOJO). It's walking distance, but also has it OWN dedicated shuttle that runs every 30 minutes. They have an outstanding breakfast, great rooms, etc. We truly enjoy staying there. As far as an offsite option - it's #1 for us.
Now - if you can afford to spend more, and know that you are paying for magic (not a bigger room or nicer room!) - the DLH would be great. The theming is wonderful, it's very convinient to the parks - and you never have to leave the Disney atmosphere , you're in it day and night. That can be really important to many people - and I personally really enjoy it when we can afford it.
If you think you can handle leaving the Disney-magic for your sleeping and save the extra money for restaurants/souveneirs/tours/etc - CCI is really in no way a step down from DLH as far as quality- it's just not Disney. If this is the only time you will be going to Disneyland for a LONG time and have the extra money to spend - you should probably consider going the DLH route and getting the full immersion experience!
Just my $.02!

Does the package include park passes? If not, I don't think it's worth the extra $100 per night for unlimited FP in janaury. I would have also kept the HoJo reservation over booking at the Candy Cane. I've only heard good things about the HoJo, especially when you pay a bit extra for a Park View. I guess I should look at the more recent reviews.

Have you considered the Hilton? They show King Room net-direct rates of $98 per night and it is a very nice hotel. Especally if your have Hilton Honors Gold Status or above. It is a 15-20 minute walk to the park entrance, or you can pay for the ART.

I have stayed at the Hojo many times. I won't go back to any other hotel, unless it is on Disney property and I am getting a great rate. I loved the room size (the home offices are great)....and the high speed internet access is wonderful. There is a fridge, coffee maker in the rooms, and we have always had two bottles of water put in our room daily. :) Never had a problem with staff...etc.

Request the tower building in the front. It is closest distance to the park and easy to get to Mimi's Cafe. We always order breakfast in the morning via phone. One of us runs down and picks it up and we eat it in bed. The food is so good at Mimi's and also very cheap! (Two eggs, potatoes, muffin and juice for only $5!)

Thanks for the comments thus far - I do appreciate them. Being that we will be there in early January (5-8, so that does include a Friday and Saturday), I thought the AAA unlimited Fastpass feature might be a good thing to have. I see talk that the weekends this year are more crowded than previous years because of the celebration (that's one of the reasons we're going), and since we're not familiar with DL as we are with WDW, we're probably going to need all the time and extra help we can get!

Keep them coming!

I have used the unlimited FPs on a previous trip. Don't get me wrong, they really rocked! But I hardly missed them on my last trip. I returned from my most recent trip over Haloween (Thurs-Sun) which was so crowded that all the Disneyland hotels were sold out. We ended up at the Hilton and they upgraded us (my DH is HH Diamond) to a Park View Suite on the Executive floor. The parks were crowded, but I really never felt I needed to have more than one FP at once. The park was pretty empty in the morning and on Saturday I was able to ride Big Thunder with a 5 minute wait at 9:30 AM. Sunday was busier. So ... even if you're going over a weekend I don't think it's worth $300 for just the FPs.

Ah, decisions, decisions! I have stayed at the Hojo and the DLH. I think the DLH is wonderful, we have had nothing but great stays there (5 in all). I do not think the HoJo can compare to the DLH. I also think that if you are used to staying onsite (and I know others will disagree) at WDW than the HoJo could be a letdown. The hotel rooms are fine and very clean but it is on a busy street and the hotel is older (though well maintained). If you are used to staying onsite than you are used to not leaving the magic behind which is what happens (imho) when you start walking up or down Harbor Blvd. I think the rooms at the DLH are very nice and have nice, subtle Disney touches and a much more updated feel than the HoJo rooms. The room service, valet, bell services and other amenties at the DLH are also nice. I find the DLH to be nicer than the moderate (POR) we have stayed at WDW. However, I do think the HoJo is a good deal at $79 a night. Just as I won't pay full rack to stay at a value at WDW, I would never pay over $100 a night for the HoJO. But $79 is a good rate. That is when I stay offsite, when I can get a really good deal that makes it worth it to not stay at my favorite, the DLH. I have not stayed at the Candy Cane but I am not sure I think it is worth $60 a night more than the HoJo, even with the free shuttle and the continental breakfast. I see somebody mentioned the Hilton. If you can get that $98 rate I think that could be a good compromise for staying offsite. We have friends who love the Hilton. I haven't stayed there because generally when I check, their rates are as high as the onsite properties. And last but not least, that unlimited fastpass would be great but I am not sure you will need it that time in January except on Saturday. When the parks are slow the fastpass machines are often covered up so that would be a bummer if your deciding factor was the unlimited fastpass that was often unapplicable. With your knowledge of WDW, you undoubtedly know a lot of good secrets, namely getting to the parks at opening, which will save you a lot of hassle and waiting in long lines. If the extra money won't put you in a pinch than I say go for the DLH. However, if that extra money causes you to at all second guess yourself or skimp on fun things you want to do on that trip, than go for the HoJo or maybe the Hilton and enjoy your extra money!

I wouldnt spend the extra money for the DL hotels. At WDW its different because of the size and staying on premises is just easier because of price and choices. DL on the other hand is tucked among LOTS of choices and your still very close and part of the fun. Even if stayed at a hotel a mile away you would be closer to the parks than most of the places at WDW. Anaheim is such a great tourist hang out that just walking over to the park can be fun and interesting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter