Help! I nipped my baby's finger

Status
Not open for further replies.

hulagirl87

DIS Veteran
Ok, I should have known not to attempt this today... DD is 5 weeks old tomorrow. Today I had my first poop blowout, up the back, through the clothes and even in the car seat. Then she had a snot blowout where stuff just came flying out of her nose. Well, I decided to cut her nails anyway and I nipped the top of her thumb. You would have though I cut off her whole hand! DD was crying and bright red!!! But it isn't really stopping bleeding. I have had pressure on it for about a half hour and I just put a bandaid on it to see if it will stop. Yeah, bandaid on an infant finger, come on now! I called the dr. too to see if there is anything that I should be doing. Any tips? Have I done permanent damage? :confused3

It's okay :)

It's almost impossible to clip those teensy fingernails without doing that!
Just keep an eye on it, and take the band-aid off as soon as it stops bleeding (they are a big choking hazard for babies who put fingers in their mouths) but don't worry about it :)

First Breath. I it will be fine. Been there done that, I even cut a huge chunk of my own finger once & it grew back. I know you feel like one of worst moms ever right now but you are not. And yep it is going to bleed for a while.

I know all of my friends have done this. My sister used to make me do it for her, because she hated doing it.

Kae

We were taught to not use scissors, but to bite off baby finger nails. Sorry you did this.

It's going to be fine! I know you feel terrible right now, but it really will be fine!

I have done it myself and it was only a few months ago (My son is only 6 months old right now). His finger did stop bleeding (it took a while though). And it looks perfectly fine now- no lasting damage! (Well, except that I think of it and cringe every time I cut his nails!)

I did the same thing when my first dd was a baby! I felt so bad.....it didn't bleed all that much though. I read where you are supposed to cut their nails when they are sleeping, but I never wanted to risk waking her up once she was asleep! ;) Hope she'll be okay. You could try holding a cold washcloth on it, sometimes that helps.

In the future, use a baby nail file rather than clippers. Can't cut them that way. :)

I'm sure she will be fine. If you TRULY can't stop the bleeding then she needs to be seen by a doctor. But I'm betting if you keep the pressure on (try using gauze and taping it with medical tape rather than a bandaid) it will stop eventually.

I'll make you feel better. I did that but to my best friends baby:scared1: I was watching him and he was getting scratches on his little bald head so I decided to trim his nails:eek: Poor thing ended up having to get it lanced b/c it got infected. I think I cried for a week. Luckily, my bf wasn't mad at me..we are as close as sisters still 10 years later.

Don't beat yourself up..we all have our moments. I won't even tell you about the time I stepped on my dd's face when she was an infant:thumbsup2

:goodvibes Been there done that, just relax. It'll be fine. You have gotten some good advice so I'm just gonna offer a hug! :hug:

We were taught to not use scissors, but to bite off baby finger nails. Sorry you did this.

EEK! An accidental human bite is much more likely to get infected than a cut from a clean pair of scissors.

I did this the day I brought my first child home from the hospital. I cried more than she did! I learned that day that a good pair of round end scissors is much easier to handle than those cute little baby clippers.

Just keep constant, consistent pressure on it to stop bleeding. No peeking! It is the hold for a minute then check that keeps things going. Clean it well with soap and water, then put a tiny dab of antibiotic ointment on. If you see any swelling or drainage over the next several days see a doctor immediately.

And like someone else said, take a breath. Baby will be fine.

We were taught to not use scissors, but to bite off baby finger nails.

AND, my tooth chipped because I did this.

There are supposed to be clippers out there that are fool-proof. I'll ask my sister where she got hers.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I just talked to a nurse at my doctor's office and she said that pressure and a bandage are the best things for it. I can also put a tiny bit of neosporin on it as well. She said to leave the bandaid on for 24 hours and to check it after that. If it looks red or swollen to let them know. But it should heal up on its own. phew!

I tried filing but it didn't work that well. As for biting the nails, I was told by a nurse at the hospital that baby nails are so soft you run the risk of tearing the nail which leads to infection. I don't know if I would attempt to cut them when she is sleeping at the chance of waking her up! Never wake a sleeping baby! I have learned that the hard way :goodvibes

I feel like I have earned my mom badge today. Poop, snot and blood all in one day! sweet! :laughing:

Thanks for the replies everyone. I just talked to a nurse at my doctor's office and she said that pressure and a bandage are the best things for it. I can also put a tiny bit of neosporin on it as well. She said to leave the bandaid on for 24 hours and to check it after that. If it looks red or swollen to let them know. But it should heal up on its own. phew!

I tried filing but it didn't work that well. As for biting the nails, I was told by a nurse at the hospital that baby nails are so soft you run the risk of tearing the nail which leads to infection. I don't know if I would attempt to cut them when she is sleeping at the chance of waking her up! Never wake a sleeping baby! I have learned that the hard way :goodvibes

I feel like I have earned my mom badge today. Poop, snot and blood all in one day! sweet! :laughing:

I understand what you mean. (My kids didn't wake up.) It was so much easier to cut their nails. No flailing about. Quick and easy. If you try it shortly after the baby eats, the baby should be sleeping pretty soundly. It's worth a try!

I have done that more then once. I think it hurts us more then them. I agree with the baby nail file

:hug: Been there done that lol..so far DD Peanut (2mos) hasn't been nipped but mainly because I found the ONLY way to do her nails is to take MY nail file (forget that baby one lol) and file while holding my thumb on her nail (index finger on back of finger too) to keep it steady and in place (this way it doesn't bend or tear)..I also do it while she sleeps. I check to see if she's "really" asleep by picking up her arm and dropping it..if it is weightless I file, if not I wait lol. Sometimes it takes all day and several sleeps to get all the nails..now her toes forget it, she KNOWS when I try to get those even if she's asleep lol..

It's funny..when you are a mom you go through things you NEVER thought you would (I was once thrown up on..in my mouth ewww) and the littlest injury you do your child feels like you committed a felony assault lol..the worst is when your nails or ring or whatever scratches them right on that gorgeous face..talk about guilt!

I was the QUEEN of nipping my DD's fingertips when she was a baby. :sad2: What's worse, she was my 2nd child -- I never had a single problem clipping my son's nails. Hers? Just couldn't get it right. I felt like the world's worst mother every time I did that. Everyone's right though. They heal just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter