HELP! in getting "tag along" involved in planning

WDW2002

DIS Veteran
I have been planning our Dec 2002 trip since June 2000. Well a year later my mom decides she wants to come too. I told her straight out that I hadn't planned on anyone else coming (just me and my 2 girls) and giving her the reason that I didn't want to have to accomidate someone elses needs. She said she understood that but this might be the only opportunity she has to go to WDW. So I gave in. I told her that she needed to be very involved in the planning along with me. Now my question is How do I get her involved? This was THE main reason I didn't want her to come. I don't want to be the one doing ALL the planning and then have her think I am going to accomidate her later.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get her involved?? I have already given her MY planning video, my unoffical guide book and the url for this site. HELP!!

Christa

How receptive has she been to you giving her all these things to help plan?
Does she enjoy Disney?-That will make all the difference in the world.
If she is a complainer, I wouldn't take her. She will put a damper on the whole trip.
I have a Mother in Law that states she wants to go everywhere, but while we are there, she complains about everything, prices, food, aches and pains, etc, etc. I know I should not take these things personally, but how can you not at times?
I think that if this is a special trip with you and your daughters, it should remain that way. I just returned from the most fabulous trip with just my DD (5).
If she is not recpetive to planning and is a complainer, it will be very hard on you! However, maybe she will discover the magic when she sees her grandaughters and all their magical experiences! If she will not help plan, you plan your heart out! (That is a secret part of the fun.) Then, when you get there, she may really appreciate all the hard work you did. Either way, you'll have a great time. If she is unenthusiastic, she always has the option of staying by the pool in the hotel. Hope it works out!

I think the crucial detail is if she actually wants to help plan. And does she think you really want her to help?

I think you made a good start. The video will help get her in the mood and the book will be a good tool for finding out what it there and what she might like. I am a huge fan of the Passporter, you may want to look into that. It is more of a workbook where you are not afraid to mark up the pages and write notes.

Ted

"How receptive has she been to you giving her all these things to help plan?"
She watched the video and her response was WOW! she didn't realize how much there was to do. I am not sure if she has even looked at the book.

"Does she enjoy Disney?"
She seems to, she is the one who got me into Disney. I went to DL before age 2 and at least once a year for the next 10 years.

"If she is a complainer"
Not a complainer per se but I have a feeling that she might think that if she does or doesn't want to do something we are all going to or not going to it. I have already told her that if she is going that she needs to be okay with staying back at the room if she doesn't want to do something or going off on her own if she wants to do something that we don't. This aspect is what makes me not wanting her to go. We went to Disneyland this past December the first time just the three of us (me and my 2 girls) and it was the best trip.

Where are you staying? Does it have a good pool area? Also woudl she be ok say strolling along and touring EPCOT while you and your daughters did MK? How si she for being by herself? if she dosn' mine you all may have a great time....

i woudl maybe put in in charge of one specific thing.....i can't think of what at teh moment....or maybe one day where she can plan stuff fo ryou guys...or is she good at making PS's??? maybe sit her on the phone to get you some great character meals?

I pray to god that I am wrong, but I just get this feeling that the whole trip will blow up at some point. We went with my mother to the east coast, and there were a couple times where I had to say are you 8 or 78 years old! And I love my mom!!!
If you take her, do all the planning and don't worry about it!!
If you do your research, your plan will be FAR BETTER than anything she could do.
Just drag her along, and hope she gets some of the magic!
If you are there in November, maybe we will see you!!

Husband, 9yr son and I are staying at Wilderness Lodge with my MIL in Oct for 6 nights. Then going to MILs winter home near Vero Beach for 3 nights. Im planning on being in charge of what I am paying for - Wilderness Lodge, meals, Arabian Nights, fireworks cruise. MIL will be in charge of what she pays for - park hoppers, Hoop De Doo. Yes this does mean I may have to tour the parks by her schedule - if I dont agree I'll just go back to WL and sit my butt by the pool. On the other hand it may just be my son and I at some of the character meals I have scheduled. In all honesty it will be my husband who cant keep up with the rest of us!!

Is your Mom a take control person or someone who likes to be led? I would ask her to pick 1 place she wants to eat....ask the girls also. Ask her to list what she wants to see in each park... her must do list. Then when you are there vote when needed. If she wants to do one thing & the girls do too, Do it. :rolleyes:

We're taking my mom along with us also. We started having family meetings every other week. Takes up a half hour or so, and this way we're all on equal planning. The kiddies are in the room for the good stuff. Information about the rides, what we plan on doing, things they "must" see, itinerary plans, etc. Then they go watch a Disney movie that relates to something we just talked about (which I had rented beforehand.. hehe). For example, we might talk about 'Honey, I shrunk the Audience", and they watch one of those movies. Then while they're busy, the adults--my mom, DH, and I do the talk about money, length of visit, what do we expect from each other, where to stay, what we'd like to see, etc. Sometimes, I'll find out something new here that I share with them or they have great ideas. I think this can be an enjoyable vacation, and the one thing we have to look forward to is my mother making memories for my daughters. Thats something that will last forever, even though mom won't. :( So, anyhow.. JMTCW. I hope your vacation is wonderful! Oh yeah.. one other thing we do before the meeting. (maybe I go overboard.. but is this a bad thing?.. lol) We have dinner together and try to fix something we've (ok I've) found on a disney related recipe board. The cobb salad is great!!! And we've had mickey mouse pancakes.. lol SHUT UP KATHIE.. lol :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter