• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help!!! in need meals ideas with only a Microwave, and a toaster oven... I am desperate...

The multi function air fryer is a great suggestion.

I got my mom the ninja foodie for Christmas. She loves it and can't believe how fast and the variety of methods she can cook using it.

Also like the idea of making several individual servings of foods and dropping those off for them.

Meals on wheels is another great idea, if they'll accept 'assistance'. I know some are funny and feel like it's a handout that others need more.

My Dad is having to use a walker right now and he can manage scramble eggs in the morning on the stove top.. and even that makes me nervous... right now neither of them can use the oven, no bending over... so something quick on the stove top...
Healthier might not be the best descriptor but maybe better than eating out of a frozen box...

Do they have a non-stick waffle iron? There is a book titled 'Will it Waffle' and the short answer to the question is, yes. I have waffled omlets, pizza, chocolate chip cookies, skirt steak, grilled cheese, saute's shrimp, and going forward it is the only way I will ever make cinnamon rolls.

The reason I bring it up here is that it takes all the guess work out of cooking. The light goes out when its hot enough, hit it with a little spray-oil (or brush it in there) stuff something in it and clamp it shut. It cooks fast because there is so much surface area in contact with the food. Omelets in particular come out fluffy but also just a lottle crispy on the edges. Usually whatever gets cooked is done in a couple of minutes, usually about the same time the indicator light goes off again. It cooks both sides at the same time so no worry about flipping or stirring.

Certainly not a panacea but it can add some variety.

I was a caregiver from my grandmother and lived about an hour away. I was close enough to bring her meals once a week. I would cook, pre-plate (meat with two veggies) and freeze her meals. I also made soup and cornbread (she loved homemade soup) She preferred sweet rolls/donuts and oatmeal for breakfast. It worked pretty well until she got sick. All she wanted was Cheerios, mac n cheese and donuts. I finally gave up the fight. She was in her nineties and had cancer. I let her have anything she wanted at that point.

Healthier might not be the best descriptor but maybe better than eating out of a frozen box...

Do they have a non-stick waffle iron? There is a book titled 'Will it Waffle' and the short answer to the question is, yes. I have waffled omlets, pizza, chocolate chip cookies, skirt steak, grilled cheese, saute's shrimp, and going forward it is the only way I will ever make cinnamon rolls.

The reason I bring it up here is that it takes all the guess work out of cooking. The light goes out when its hot enough, hit it with a little spray-oil (or brush it in there) stuff something in it and clamp it shut. It cooks fast because there is so much surface area in contact with the food. Omelets in particular come out fluffy but also just a lottle crispy on the edges. Usually whatever gets cooked is done in a couple of minutes, usually about the same time the indicator light goes off again. It cooks both sides at the same time so no worry about flipping or stirring.

Certainly not a panacea but it can add some variety.

There's also the old George Foreman grill. Does anyone still use theirs?

I agree with freezer meals. I'd use Ziplock freezer bags instead of the Rubbermaid containers. They take up less space than rigid containers. And if you fill them to the top, squeeze out excess air, no need for vacuum sealing. Just double or triple bag each one and label them well. The up side is that the parents can just plop the food into a pan for the oven or sauce pan, and toss away all the Ziplock bags. No extra washing of containers they have to worry about. And of one lays the bags flat in the freezer, they are very stackable. I found this out while stockpiling for our Stay At Home order.

The best foods for making into freezer foods have a bit extra liquid or sauce. This way, they automatically reheat in the sauce. I have freezer bags full of a spaghetti meat sauce. I left out the spaghetti so I'd have extra space in my freezer and just boil some fresh as I'm heating the sauce in a saucepan.

I also made a yummy dill chicken soup and divvied up the portions into freezer bags. The only up side to the Coronavirus for me is that I've learned to pack and stack my freezer more efficiently. I used to think my freezer didn't hold much. But when I get rid of a lot of packaging I really didn't need, and put everything into Ziplocks or wrapped in plastic wrap, I was able to stuff it quite well. I am actually quite proud of how much I have been able to put in. During the height of being in the epicenter, when it was potentially so dangerous outside, I didn't have to go out for food at all. :worship:

Can I have your recipe for the dill chicken soup please?

I am looking for more healthier options for my parents... 81 and 77 - they have both have been through alot in the health department in the last year and really can not stand to cook a whole meal for themselves... nor do I want them trying to cooking whole meals for themselves... they need/ want something easy to make... I do take them homemade food when I go over there... the problem is I live 135 miles round trip from them, so its not like I can just run over... I 'm taking care of them, not only due to this mess with the virus, for well over a year now... shopping, back and forth to appointments, whatever it is that they need, I take care of... I am not complaining... just trying to cover all my bases. I am worried about what they are eating... getting a sandwich, and soup or a TV dinner meal is just not getting it.... it's okay for every now and then... but I need some easy meals... I am buying them a larger toaster oven and a toaster, this week.. I said why don't you toast that bread mom, she was like the toaster quit working... I was like when, my dad around Christmas I was like why did you not tell me... we don't want to worry you...so you can see what I am up against...
My Dad is having to use a walker right now and he can manage scramble eggs in the morning on the stove top.. and even that makes me nervous... right now neither of them can use the oven, no bending over... so something quick on the stove top...

They have a crock pot but its small one..
Frozen food options are okay...

So I am looking for suggestion for all 3 meals...

Thanks everyone...

Instead of a toaster oven, you should get them a miniature convection oven. We lived in a place with no large oven for several years and I was able to make everything in that little countertop oven and it wasn’t expensive!

OP here... Thanks so much everyone with all the great suggestions....

I am looking at the Cuisinart Toaster oven... haven't pulled the trigger yet... still shopping around...

I am going to look into the meals on wheels options... I know our church ( where my parents live at) use to have the program ran out of the church kitchen... I use to volunteer in the kitchen making up the meals, and such... I'm not sure if they still have the program running out of the church... they could pay for the meals, I just don't think that they would agree to it at this point...

In talking to my parents yesterday, they were both like we just don't know what to make, or whatever so we just make a sandwich... or pop in a TV dinner... then DH and I were talking and he is like why don't you make up a like a meal plan or a menu... with directions, times and temps ... so that they can just look at the list and go from there... I am a big planner... and I meal plan for DH and I... So I thought okay I can take my menu planning... and start another file for them.. DH also said why don't you make some stuff over there, so you don't have to haul over there... Which is a good idea... I normally spend the whole day.. so I could make a couple things...

I do try to cook something the day or so before I go over there to take to them... I normally go every 2 weeks like clock work...there were times I was going daily when my Dad was in ICU, and still trying to maintain my mom at their house, and maintain my own home... Since then, I have been trying to go every week, some times I just can't... and I feel so guilty... and I will be watching my grandson this summer before he goes to Kindergarten too... with this mess with the virus, DD is out of work, Luckily our SIL is in essential service and is working...so once she goes back to work, they can put back money into the saving, instead of paying for day care... and the summer program is really expensive it would be almost 800.00 dollar a month... I can't wait to have him for the summer... fun times...

So I did get them some baking potatoes, and write down how to nuke them in the microwave... which they have really enjoyed...

So I kinda played around with a few things last night...

Baked potatoes - and I thought that I could get those frozen boxes broccoli and cheese... so that they could pour that into the potato for something different...

I thought that I could cook up some sausage and bacon and put in a ziploc this way my Dad could make his own egg in a cup with adding in some shredded cheddar cheese... as well I thought about the frozen hash-browns to go along with it...

Fish sticks or Fish bites or nuggets... or Fish square - they could make sandwiches, or fish tacos.. and I can pick up some tarter sauce to go along with it... and a head of lettuce... or give them part of a head of lettuce from my house this way there would not be any waste..

I am planning on making chicken salad for them, they both love my chicken salad... I make mine with poached chicken thighs....

I could boil a dozen eggs while I am over there... and peel them... so that would be a good snack or they could chop up and make egg salad...

When I went to Aldi, I picked up some tuna in the pouches and grabbed some chicken in a can... with the boiled egg they could make tuna or chicken salad on their own with out really any problems...

Last week I picked up some canned peach halves ... and my Dad said yesterday that they were pretty darn good... So I am going to pick up some more, adding pears, and fruit cocktail with lots of cherries... I tried fresh fruit and most of it went bad...

Next trip.... I am planning on making a meatloaf, with roasted potatoes, and some fresh beans or peas... and DD suggested a pot of chicken and yellow rice... so I could make both of those while I am there... without to much fuss...

They both like grilled cheese, so DD has a older sandwich maker that she said she would give me to give to them... so they could make some different sandwiches...

I also thought about the fresh veggie in the steam bags, the small ones would be just the right amount for them... as well as the frozen steamers veggie bags...

I am going to look at what the premade meals at Publix offer, and see if this is something that I could get them... I will need a large toaster oven for them first before I can go this route...

In thinking more about breakfast... some english muffins and or those 100 calories bagels... full size ones would go to waste... and get some flavored cream cheese, and some fancy jelly to go along with it...

Thanks again... Please more suggestions...

My son just made something new to us from Ore-Ida called "Crack an Egg."
A few varieties to choose from.
Like it says crack an egg and Microwave, simple and he said pretty good. Add a pice of toast easy breakfast.

We have an Italian Market here in South Florida and they make prepared dinners i.e. Chicken Parmesan, Chicken Francese, Rigatoni Bolognese, and good soups too, they are frozen. Pop in the microwave.
I pick those up for my mom because since my dad passed, she doesn't want to cook anymore.
Maybe you can locate a little shop like that for them, if not you can make a few things for them and freeze them.
They are a lot healthier, with less salt than frozen dinners from Stouffers and such.

When we lived in Pensacola ( Joey Patti's seafood market) and in Georgia we had those type of markets all over north GA... especially heading into the mountain areas, now where my parents live is like it is frozen in time... Nothing now... there was a little deli place, that offered all kinds of yummy meal offerings... the owner passed away, and his wife kept it going for a while, then the kids took over and drove it into the ground... We have a few place's where I live... they are super pricey... like WOW special occasion only price point... one place that we love... they are a small business and we did get some stuffed chicken breast there a couple of weeks back... and Potato Dauphinoise - it was over 50 bucks for 2 stuffed chicken breast and a the potatoes ( which are amazing by the way)... it all was really good... and we do go there once a month to get something special for dinner... and I know that they are struggling right now. ..

You gave me another thought... there is a mom and pop restaurant, and they offer something along those prepared meals...

Yay...
Thanks so much..

In thinking more about breakfast... some english muffins and or those 100 calories bagels... full size ones would go to waste... and get some flavored cream cheese, and some fancy jelly to go along with it...
Oatmeal, grits, cream of wheat, precooked bacon, precooked sausage patties can all be heated in the microwave.

Not the healthiest option but there are always toaster waffles. I prefer to make my own and freeze them but nice to have something different occasionally and I just make a few extra when doing waffles on the weekend.

I would also add peanut butter to the bread toppings as it is a good source of protein. Heck, I will just eat a spoonful of peanut butter as a snack, no bread needed. :D

Will they eat cottage cheese? Also a good source of protein. You can mix in whatever fruit you like. I like to add in crushed pinapple from a can.

Last edited:
I often get naan bread from the bakery section of my grocery store and make "pizzas" in the toaster oven at work. You can put anything on them ( sauce/ cheese/ veggies/ packaged diced chicken/ pepperoni/ pineapple), and then just pop them in the toaster oven( sometimes it can take 2 cycles).

My mother lived alone and was in a wheelchair. She knew that using the stove was unsafe so,besides the microwave and toaster oven she had a small electric frying pan that she used for eggs and hamburgers

Can I have your recipe for the dill chicken soup please?

It's basically classic chicken noodle soup, but instead of a lot of the usual herbs, just add garlic, onions, parsley, dill, (can be dried from a spice jar,) soy sauce, salt, pepper & a little bit of sugar for balance.(I don't have exact measurements as I taste as I go along.) This recipe below is close on how to make it. Although, instead of chopping up vegetables, I simply add a bag of a frozen mixed vegetable in at the last 3 min of cooking. I like the frozen "stir fry medleys" which have a combo of carrots, peas, onions, mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. Don't overcook the veggies. You just want to warm them up.

https://www.bowlofdelicious.com/easy-chicken-noodle-soup/

I am planning on making chicken salad for them, they both love my chicken salad... I make mine with poached chicken thighs....

If they are adventurous at all flavor-wise, you can make the chicken salad a curried chicken salad by adding a little curry powder to the mayo. OR make a dilled chicken salad by adding some dried dill.

They both like grilled cheese, so DD has a older sandwich maker that she said she would give me to give to them... so they could make some different sandwiches...

There are different cheeses for a change of pace. Instead of American cheese, there's cheddar or swiss cheese. Also different breads: light, fluffy challah bread, or a seeded rye bread with a slice of tomato.

When I went to Aldi, I picked up some tuna in the pouches and grabbed some chicken in a can...

There is also canned salmon.

For a whole serving of veggies, there's cans of V-8 juice.

Canned yams have 200% of the recommended daily allowance of Vitamin A, 20% of potassium and 10% iron.

I like some of the Lean Cuisine frozen entrees and the Smart Ones entrees. Both have a swedish meatball one I like. And they have some frozen ravioli, or pasta primavera, or a lasagne one. They are small enough that they can probably have one as a whole dinner and not feel they are wasting food. And Stouffer's makes a frozen mac & cheese.

Just be careful in that a lot of pre-packaged foods and take out foods are loaded with sodium. What might not be a problem now, may turn into one, if that's all they will eat.

I was a caregiver from my grandmother and lived about an hour away. I was close enough to bring her meals once a week. I would cook, pre-plate (meat with two veggies) and freeze her meals. I also made soup and cornbread (she loved homemade soup) She preferred sweet rolls/donuts and oatmeal for breakfast. It worked pretty well until she got sick. All she wanted was Cheerios, mac n cheese and donuts. I finally gave up the fight. She was in her nineties and had cancer. I let her have anything she wanted at that point.
This sounds like my 90 something Great Aunt. She would eat soup or something we’d made for lunch, but ate cookies for dinner. You’re 92 years old, you can eat cookies for dinner. I wasn’t going to fuss at her.

Cereals and oatmeal for breakfast with berries.
Soups and sandwiches with whole wheat bread for lunch.
Factor meals (delivery service) for dinner.

At their age, they really need extra fiber. You'd have to figure out if this gets them enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter