Help! Just booked last minute trip with senior mom

reneesam

DIS Veteran<br><font color=purple>Tag fairies do n
Hi-
I've been to WDW many times, but my parents would never come with us. Now that my dad is gone, mom still is afraid to come because she doesn't want to "hold us up" and is worried about the fast pace, but I know she really wants to go.

I booked her a 4 day trip in May...just the 2 of us, staying at BWV. Can you advise me on what things adult seniors especially enjoy? We're not planning anything too taxing, just taking it slow. We might do just 2 parks (Epcot and either MGM or MK.) What do you think is a "not-miss" for a once in a lifetime trip? Show or restuarant advice?

Thanks in advance for your responses to my wide open question;)

Renee

I'd recommend going to the Magic Kingdom over MGM. IMHO, the Magic Kingdom is just more magical. The castle is an amazing sight, especially for someone who's never seen it. It's also my favorite park to go to when I just want to take it easy, sit back and watch people having fun. Also, May is Star Wars weekends at MGM, which means it will be more crowded than usual. I would recommend after spending a day in the Magic Kingdom having dinner at the California Grill. It overlooks the Magic Kingdom and is the best place to see the fireworks before the park closes. If that would be too late to have dinner, perhaps you can arrange to see the fireworks show from a boat, which is another spectacular place to watch them from.

Fantasmic at MGM is just magical, in my opinion and so is Illuminations at Epcot.

If your mother is worried about keeping up, she might want to consider renting a wheel chair or ecv. If you're just going to take it easy, then it shouldn't be an issue.

Don't forget to stroll the boardwalk after dark. The buskers are very entertaining.

I imagine your mother would really enjoy Adventurer's Club at Pleasure Island. It's very entertaining and a smoke free environment.

Katholyn

I'll second Native Texan's recommendation of renting an ECV. After my last solo trip to WDW, I convinced my parents to take a trip with me last fall. My parents are 66 and my Mom has fairly bad arthritis. We rented an ECV from Randy's Mobility and we were able to see and do so much because of it. There were quite a few things we missed, but I made it clear to my parents that I didn't actually miss them, because I've done them before. One of the really great things about WDW is that there are so many things that you can do that don't fall into the "thrill ride" category. Sometimes, half of the fun is just staying still and soaking up all the Disney.

I can tell you that my parents were especially fond of Fantasmic. My Mom also has a soft spot for It's a Small World, which she has, regrettably, passed on to me. Starting our trip with that ride is something of a family tradition.

I would definitely rent an ECV from an outside agency, so that you can use it outside of the parks.

I took my senior mother in September of 2000. She absolutely loved the World Showcase the most. She walks fine, but I knew that there would be a whole lot of walking that day, so I got her a wheelchair.

She did not want to take the wheelchair at first, but she got used to it really quickly.

Doing this, we were able to tour the World Showcase as much as we wanted to (she wanted to re-visit some of the countries) and she had a great time.

She also really liked Animal Kingdom, but that's because she's an 'animal person.'

She also loved 'La Nouba.'

Redbeard52

Another vote for suggesting a EVC. It saved the trip for my uncle the last time he went and he loved it.

My mother would box my ears if I called her a senior ;) but she enjoys all the parks. Her favorite is the Animal Kingdom - she loves the tree of life, and the safari. She is an animal person.

Her next favorite is Epcot. She loves to shop and the world showcase is just set up for that! She also enjoys Future World. I think Epcot is so big that it takes a good two days to see it all.

MGM would be her third favorite park there she enjoys the shows, and the animation tour. and closely followed by MK. She loves the PoC, Small World, and the HM.

I think you will have a great time!

I think tea at the Grand Floridian would be great for your mom. It is very relaxing and an easy break when you are at the MK.

My Mom and Dad have been twice. This last trip they were 69 and 74. Mom really liked Disney MGM studios including Tower of Terror!!! She still loves Star Tours but the rest of us can't handle it so one of us usually goes with her and closes our eyes.
Mom has arthritit in her hips and knees but still walks and refuses a ECV...so far.
Because she has been to Disneyland so many times I think she is tired of the MK. Your Mom may like that a lot. Mom seemed to like the AK quite a bit too. She doesn't seem to be too impressed with Futureworld, except for Body Wars! :( She does like World Showcase though.

If you do go to MGM, be sure to arrange your schedule to include the musical stage shows (Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid). She also might get a big kick out of eating at 50s Prime Time Cafe or maybe even SciFi Dine-In. As others have said, be sure to plan for Fantasmic.

At Epcot, besides all the wonderful attractions, you might enjoy taking in some of the "street entertainment." Get a schedule for the day at any gift shop and see what you can fit in. The living statue, Chinese acrobats, masquerade, Voices of Liberty, Fife & Drum are ones that come to mind.

Around the Boardwalk, it's fun to get a drink or coffee at an outside table at Big River Grille. You and your mom can sit and enjoy the waterfront view there. Not to mention people watching! ;) She also might enjoy some ice cream over at Beaches & Cream by Beach Club.

Have a wonderful time with your mom. Sounds like she is very lucky to have such a caring daughter. :D

Took my mom for her 60th last December and we stayed at the BCV. My mother has been to Disney before but always enjoys the Magic Kingdom and her Haunted Mansion ride!

I believe I'd try the Animal Kingdom (if only for the Festival of the Lion King Show) for a day, Magic Kingdom and perhaps Epcot for Illuminations/stroll through countries.

My mother found the sand bottom pool a lot of fun, not to mention a dip in the hot tub.

I agree with the ECV rental - it will enable you a day at Downtown Disney if you like, a stroll around the Boardwalk, or the stroll over to Epcot.

Have fun!

Took my mom in January of this year and stayed at Beach Club Villas. She is 82 and mobile, but when we went to world showcase at Epcot, we used a wheelchair from the hotel. She really enjoyed the outdoor entertainment there at each country. We also enjoyed visiting the lobby of the Grand Floridian at night and listening to the orchestra.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter