"Help me choose a paint color" picture thread

elizke

<font color=darkorchid><font color=blue>Has feelin
I was hoping I could start a paint color thread, where people would post pictures of their rooms painted with colors they are happy with, and maybe those they are not. People could also post pictures of rooms they are trying to choose a color for, as I am about to do.

This is the first time we will have to hire someone else to paint for us, as the walls are too high and I just can't watch DH climb up there with a can of paint over and over. It's also the largest area we've ever had to choose one color for. The entryway all the way through to the family room and upstairs hallway will have to be one color. And I just can't make that final choice. I don't want too light and boring, but I don't want oppressively dark either.

I was originally thinking of green, but our furniture is green, and that's too greeny. DH says we won't have this furniture forever, but in the meantime, it'll be too green. So then I was thinking of just a greenish brown, or caramel, or a nice light coffee. And the more I think the further away I get from a decision.

So here is the room with painter's flat...The dark green couch may go someday, but the curtains (a dark warm green paisley tapestry fabric) will stay.
249388410-L.jpg

And this shows how the entryway and stairs will have to be the same...
249388532-L.jpg

(these are what the drapes really look like; my inspiration for the room. They do look alittle darker in person than this pic.)

65074111203CZ.JPG

And please post some pics of rooms you love or hate!!!!!!!!! I can look at a million decorating photos, but they just don't show what real life would look like. I will post some of my old house, with colors I liked, later.

Here are some colors in my old house....

Family room....(I way overdid the fake flowers back then :) )
121039755-L.jpg

Living room....
121038595-L.jpg

Half bath...
121040321-L.jpg

Master BR...
121040516-L.jpg

Upstairs hall bath, the only place with a faux finish
121041023-L.jpg

Close-up of the wall finish, which was very subtle and done with Walmart grocery bags......
121284299-L.jpg

DD's room
121041964-L.jpg

DS's room
121041366-L.jpg

I hope I've inspired you to post yours!

I'll bite. :) I actually just started a thread asking for help picking a color for my bathroom! lol

First, I LOVE the yellow that you had in your old living room - could you do something like that in the new one? Or maybe a Tuscan-y orange-ish color?

Second, here's my pics:
506507113_741bb51b82.jpg

Imgp9576.jpg

Imgp9578.jpg

Help!! Help me find something that will make the tile look nice and not make the room feel all closed in!

I love your bedroom OP. Do you remember what color and brand of paint you used?

Thanks. :)

I'm sorry I don't have the color name anymore. I do remember it was from Sears, and actually was a very light lavender on the chip that on the wall just looked like a tinted white.

I'll bite. :) I actually just started a thread asking for help picking a color for my bathroom! lol

First, I LOVE the yellow that you had in your old living room - could you do something like that in the new one? Or maybe a Tuscan-y orange-ish color?

Thanks! I do love that classic yellow, and we thought about using it again, but in this family room I just think it'd be too much yellow. Just seems like with the tall walls it would just hit you in the face like a too sunny day. We'll probably use it again in another room. I am considering a Tuscany gold though...

But speaking of yellow, it would look nice in your bathroom too. A nice fresh looking, not orangey yellow. There's also a lot of green in your floor, so lots of mid to light greens wold look good.

I downloaded a $10 program from Pittsburgh Paints where you can paint your own pictures with their paint. There are some others that have it too. It's very helpful. But I still want to see everyone else's real rooms!

How about a light shade of sage? It would look good with your sofa and curtains. Or is there a color in the drapes that you could "pull out" and use?

How about a gold,not to yellow.I love the gold colors. We are starting the building process and we are going to go with a gold for our main areas.Just not decided on which tone we will use just yet.

But with the furniture and drapes you have i think it would be a geat color.

The paint my parents used for their front room would be gorgeous in that room. It's a Benjamin Moore paint. I can't remember the entire name but it something linen. It's a cream with very light hints of yellow and sage in it. It sounds weird but it's a beautiful cream color - I'm going to do my living room the same color. I have green furniture also

47b8df10b3127cceb5057fb5200200000036100McNmjVq5Yy

It won't work. Monitors need to be calibrated or one color will look different to everyone.

Unless you are just talking basic roygbiv

Mikeeee

The paint my parents used for their front room would be gorgeous in that room. It's a Benjamin Moore paint. I can't remember the entire name but it something linen. It's a cream with very light hints of yellow and sage in it. It sounds weird but it's a beautiful cream color - I'm going to do my living room the same color. I have green furniture also

That color does sound lovely.

Master bath:
Kitchen025.jpg

Kitchen:
The pantry doors are painted a different color now.
Picture074.jpg

Master bedroom:
We have different bedding now and Stitch has been moved to DDs room. :laughing:
Kitchen012.jpg

Those are all the pictures I have in my Photobucket account right now.

How about a light shade of sage? It would look good with your sofa and curtains. Or is there a color in the drapes that you could "pull out" and use?

Thanks, I am definitely thinking of a sage, but with the space so large feeling, I'm wanting something more cozy. Still considering it seriously though.

How about a gold,not to yellow.I love the gold colors. We are starting the building process and we are going to go with a gold for our main areas.Just not decided on which tone we will use just yet.

Gold tones are on some of the paint chips taped to the wall. It's a definite possibility. It would bring out the lighter color in the drapes.

It won't work. Monitors need to be calibrated or one color will look different to everyone.

Unless you are just talking basic roygbiv

Mikeeee

I am aware of monitor calibrations and variety in color from cameras and from monitors. There is no need to be precise here, just looking for how a room feels.

If anyone is interested in a color and has a name they can go get a paint chip to see the real thing.

That looks lovely! It's just a few shades lighter than our old family room. I think for my family room it's too light, but I might use it in the office or half bath. It's very relaxing to look at.

elizke - here are 2 shades of brown that might work for you - I have the darker in my foyer & the lighter in the family room.

IMG_1650.jpg

IMG_1647.jpg

It is Sherwin Williams Haycock to the right going down the front stairs, Sherwin Williams Latte to the left going down the back stairs.

I have FOUR different shades of gold in the house. I will try & post pics of them all. To anyone else they probably all look the same so I don't know why I stressed so much.

I have my entire bottom stairs painted this yellow. I use cranberry accents. It is called Melted Butter by Behr. I have rounded corners so we have no stopping point. My entryway is 22 ft and I have 12 ft ceilings. We painted ourselves using an extension paint pole.

Here is the entryway:
100_1134.jpg

We used a color called Autumn Goard by Behr in my dh's study. I have not taken a pic yet but it is a very pretty color. I will try and take a picture and post it later. The color is not orange or gold but something in between. He has olive/sagey colored drapes with a paisley topper. We get compliments all the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter