Help me choose where to stay for first 2 nights!

elphaba91

DIS Veteran
I have made the fairly last minute decision to come to Orlando to visit (well actually, pick up!) my sister who is doing the DICP after Christmas. Unfortunately the resorts are really full so it's pretty slim pickings for rooms. I've managed to book CBR for my last 5 nights at a very good rate, but still need somewhere to stay for my first 2 nights.

My options for those 2 nights are to either stay off property both nights (my sister assures me that she has friends who can pick me up from the airport and then drive me to CBR. She even says that people have offered to let me stay with them, but I'm a little nervous about imposing on people I've never/barely met!) or I can stay at an airport hotel the first night then stay at a Disney resort the second night. The Disney resorts available to me for that night and the price differences from the cheapest are:
  • All Stars – standard room: $0
  • Saratoga Springs – Deluxe Studio: +$70
  • Copper Creek at Wilderness Lodge – Deluxe Studio: +$305
  • Boardwalk – Boardwalk View Club Level: +$347
  • Polynesian – Lagoon View: +$405
  • Polynesian – Theme Park View: +$418
I'm unfortunately not allowed to specify the prices on here, but they are lower than rack rate (apart from the All Stars).

At WDW I've previously stayed at the Cabins at Fort Wilderness and OKW in a 1 bedroom villa (both times there were 3 of us though) and loved both. Typically when travelling though I just stay at Hiltons - basic but clean is fine with me.

So...what would you do? Is it worth it to stay one night at a deluxe, especially if it will likely be your only time? Or would you save the money and stay somewhere cheaper?

If you are going to MK, Poly would be cool. BW if you are planning on EP or HS. SS if you want to hang out late at DS.

I would probably go with AS-- you'll have extra money to spend later and the CBR is sure to feel like an upgrade! After the others, CBR is likely to be a let-down.

I'm not a big "view" person, so I don't think I would pay the upcharge for the Boardwalk or Poly rooms. If you'd like to try a deluxe, I would go with Copper Creek. WL is absolutely gorgeous. If you would rather save the money, I would do SSR.

I think I’d just go for the value. Its only one night and if its at the beginning of the trip it will spoil you and you wont want to switch if you stay at a delux from the start.

I wouldn't want to go from two nights at a deluxe (or even a nice off-property hotel) to five nights at a Disney moderate. That would feel like a serious downgrade. I'd start off at a value or another moderate.

I wouldn't want to go from two nights at a deluxe (or even a nice off-property hotel) to five nights at a Disney moderate. That would feel like a serious downgrade. I'd start off at a value or another moderate.

I agree with this. We did 2 nights at Poly once followed by 3 at CBR. We dislike our stay at CBR for several reasons, one of which was that it was such a downgrade. I went in with the expectation that it would be but it was more disappointing than I thought, even being prepared for it!

Assuming you don't have a car, I'd probably stay onsite or a Hotel Plaza Blvd resort (like the Hilton, Doubletree, etc.). For the prices you listed, the Saratoga Springs option looks the best to me. Its a little more than the value, but after that is a big jump in price that I don't think is worth it. The moderates at Disney are beautiful resorts in their own right, so I wouldn't worry about the "downgrade" to CBR after Saratoga.

Thanks everyone for the responses! I think I've decided that I'll stay the first night at an airport hotel as originally planned (I get in in the evening and will have traveled about 30 hours so will just want to shower and sleep!) and then get the Magic Express to a value the next morning. I think you're all right that I will feel like I'm downgrading and then not enjoy CBR if I start in a deluxe, plus I'd feel obligated to stay at the resort that day.

So, any votes between Music and Movies? I'm a total Broadway nerd so think I'm leaning towards Music in the hopes I'll get that section.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter