Help me choose which ship for first sailing

StEpHandMiKe<3Disney

DIS Veteran
Hi, my family and I want to take our first cruise in 2025. Our daughter will be 11. We have never cruised before but love Disney so figured that would be our first trip. I'm deciding between the Wish and perhaps the Treasure. The Treasure seems to only have 7 day sailings so that may be a deal breaker. Tell me if you would recommend the Wish for our first sailing and why. Also, my daughter is very outgoing and social, makes friends very easily, how much time will she want to spend in the Vibe club? Trying to plan accordingly! TIA!

So, I have only cruised 3 times on DCL and have a 4th scheduled. That being said, I have sailed 2) 3-nights, 1) 5-night and a 7-night is scheduled. The biggest 2 questions I would ask are 1) how many days are you wanting to sail? (This questions brings a whole new discussion on here about what makes sense) and 2) are there certain places you want to go or is the ship your destination?

We feel like 3-nights aren't enough for our family. After sailing the Wish on a 3-night weekend over Labor Day, we were left wanting more. The ship was fantastic and we didn't get to experience everything we were wanting to. For us, 5-nights are the new minimum for our family. Our goal is to sail on all of the ships eventually, so we are more focused on days and where makes sense along with which ship.

That weirdly long into to say, if it were our family we would say sail 7 nights on the Treasure! If 7-nights is too long for your first cruise, do the 4-night on the Wish. You will get the extra day at sea to enjoy the ship and have the additional day to not feel so rushed!

Whatever you choose, happy planning and enjoy DCL!!!

The Wish and the Treasure are essentially the same ship with just some theme difference. Overall the build of the ship is the same.

If its your first cruise I'd pick whatever itinerary fits your family the best in terms of what it offers, days, and price. I will say watch out for pricing on the newer ships. We were scheduled on a 3 night on the Wish for November. We happened to look a couple months later and found if we switched to the Dream we got a 5 night cruise for CHEAPER than the 3 night on the Wish!

All of the ships are wonderful tho! For a first timer I don't think you can go wrong with any of them!

If you are only choosing between these ships, and 7 nights seems too long(and/or expensive), I recommend a 4-night on the Wish.

Kids’ clubs can depend on who clicks with each other on any given week.

I started cruising (DCL only for years) on a 3-night Bahamas. Knew nothing going in, other than it was Disney. Next cruise, 4 nights Bahamas, just 4 months later. One year later, 7 nights Western Caribbean. (And it continues 16 years later, in varying lengths).

I have the most cruises on 3- and 7-night itineraries. Even though I don’t usually recommend the short cruise. Sometimes the weekend just fits better into life (Take off only 2 workdays for those who work M-F).

You can have fun on a 3-nighter. It may leave you wishing for more. I find it very much an unpack/ turn around and repack feeling. I would skip Nassau and use that as a “Sea” day to better experience the ship.

The 4th night seems to make things a little more relaxed, getting into the groove. You get the Pirate-themed dinner menu. Otherwise, you are going to have the same template of cruising: dining venues, menus, main theater (Walt Disney Theater) production shows for evening entertainment. These shows are

• Disney Treasure
    • Disney’s Aladdin. A shortened version of the film story.
    • Disney Seas the Adventure (As below.)
    • (new show about Moana)
  • Disney Wish
    • Disney Seas the Adventure. Goofy takes the helm of the ship and gentle mayhem ensues.
    • The Little Mermaid. As if a community theater troupe put on a version of the live-action film.
Expect Pirate Deck Party on 3-, 4-, or 7-night cruises to Bahamas and Caribbean.

I recommend looking at budget, including hotels and transportation + time off of work and school.

Other than my oft-repeated phrase to my nieces, “Some families save their entire lives for one trip to Disney,” if your cruise wasn’t enough, plan on doing it again. And purchase a deposit ($250, refundable) before disembarkation for a future cruise to save 10% on your next adventure. You might just start a lifetime of vacation memories. Or vow to never cruise again.

A longer sailing generally provides a better chance to really lean into cruising, so I'd recommend 5-7 nights for a first sailing. If the Wish doesn't have anything that long, I'd seriously consider the Treasure or going to Fort Lauderdale for a 5-night sailing on another ship.

I also have an outgoing 11-year-old and she spends a TON of time with friends she meets on cruises, both in the youth clubs and out and about on the ship.

If you can afford it do the treasure. Itl’l have the greatest hits of the broadway shows (beauty and the beast, moana, seas the adventure) and the ship/room themes will be beautiful (Pocahontas!). Otherwise do the wish and try to book the cruise that goes to castaway cay AND Lighthouse Cay (both of disneys private islands) for 4 nights. Skip the other ships. They look old and tired compared to this new class and most of the people that prefer the older ships is because they have nostalgia for them or are used to them

Our first cruise was a 4 night, our second cruise is a 4 night. The reason we picked a 4 night is that our kids have never cruised and I didn't want to gamble on a 7 night right out the gate. Also my youngest doesn't travel well. Basically the first morning she's ready to go home and by day 3 or 4 she's very ready to go home.

We picked a 3 night for our first cruise, not sure about seasickness and overall cruising. I loved it so much that we are always 7+ nights these days!

I'm in the "longer is better" club. Five days minimum. While the big ships are bigger, my heart is with The Magic and The Wonder.

We pick our trips based on itinerary and try to avoid Nassau and Jamaica when possible (or just stay on ship).

I am in the longer=better camp for myself but, for a first time cruising family, I don't think 7 nights is the best idea. 5 nights is the sweet spot to me but I think a 4 night on the Wish could still be a great vacation assuming you don't have to travel super far to get to Port Canaveral. I'd definitely do 4 over 3 though; you'll spend the first full day getting your bearings and it's a bummer if then the next day is your last.

If you can afford it do the treasure. Itl’l have the greatest hits of the broadway shows (beauty and the beast, moana, seas the adventure) and the ship/room themes will be beautiful (Pocahontas!). Otherwise do the wish and try to book the cruise that goes to castaway cay AND Lighthouse Cay (both of disneys private islands) for 4 nights. Skip the other ships. They look old and tired compared to this new class and most of the people that prefer the older ships is because they have nostalgia for them or are used to them
Just here to say, I have only sailed the Magic class so I have nothing to compare it to (yet) but it certainly didn’t feel old and tired. I’ve seen lots about the Wish, and it looks beautiful, but I wouldn’t dissuade someone from the older ships if they want to broaden their considerations beyond the two option they originally listed.

Skip the other ships. They look old and tired compared to this new class and most of the people that prefer the older ships is because they have nostalgia for them or are used to them
I hope you are just kind of kidding about this.
When you go into ports and look at the other ships Disney always looks better unless the other ships are new.
Disney is constantly touching up the paint. They have been known to wash the hull of the ship while in port which I have never seen other lines do. The interior never looks old and tired either.

As for nostalgia for the other ships, I think you need to go back and reread what concerns people have said about the Wish. When you have only 2 banks of elevators on the ship that is definitely large enough for 3, main dining rooms that are so cramped the servers can barely get between the tables, no walking/jogging deck which MANY people use are just for starters and so many other issues we won't get into here.

Granted it is a beautiful ship and many do love it, some of us see some big flaws.
We all wanted to love the Wish but for Disney to hire someone to design a ship that had NEVER been on a cruise it shows!

I hope you are just kind of kidding about this.
When you go into ports and look at the other ships Disney always looks better unless the other ships are new.
Disney is constantly touching up the paint. They have been known to wash the hull of the ship while in port which I have never seen other lines do. The interior never looks old and tired either.

As for nostalgia for the other ships, I think you need to go back and reread what concerns people have said about the Wish. When you have only 2 banks of elevators on the ship that is definitely large enough for 3, main dining rooms that are so cramped the servers can barely get between the tables, no walking/jogging deck which MANY people use are just for starters and so many other issues we won't get into here.

Granted it is a beautiful ship and many do love it, some of us see some big flaws.
We all wanted to love the Wish but for Disney to hire someone to design a ship that had NEVER been on a cruise it shows!
I think YOU need to go back and reread the OP. He has bever cruised before. Everything you listed as a fault is from The POV of someone who HAS cruised before and prefers the LAYOUT of other ships. Its nitpicking. 2 elevators instead of 3. A deck that wont let you jog all the way around it (you can walk around just not in a full circle) and a tight dining room.
From the POV of someone who hasn’t cruised, he will be experiencing the most beautiful rooms of all ships, amazing shows, better food than the other ships, topped off with castaway cay. And I say this as someone who criticized the Wish after reading all those complaints but sailed the older ships and realized the mistake I made.

I think YOU need to go back and reread the OP. He has bever cruised before. Everything you listed as a fault is from The POV of someone who HAS cruised before and prefers the LAYOUT of other ships. Its nitpicking. 2 elevators instead of 3. A deck that wont let you jog all the way around it (you can walk around just not in a full circle) and a tight dining room.
From the POV of someone who hasn’t cruised, he will be experiencing the most beautiful rooms of all ships, amazing shows, better food than the other ships, topped off with castaway cay. And I say this as someone who criticized the Wish after reading all those complaints but sailed the older ships and realized the mistake I made.
You are the one who said skip the other ships because they look old and tired and I say they don't. I would like to know where they look old and tired?
You said most of the people that prefer the older ships have nostalgia for them and I was just pointing out it is not nostalgia. We pay a premium for a Disney cruise and expect a premium product so yes we will nit pick it. But Disney really dropped the ball when they chose a person who had NEVER set foot on a cruise ship to design the ship.

I agree that the original poster will experience a beautiful ship and fantastic shows.
I also agree they should experience the Wish or Treasure.
I fully agree they may love both ships.

But to tell them to skip the other ships because they are looking old and tired compared to the Wish is so wrong!

And for the original poster, I would recommend a 4 night cruise first. That is just long enough to find out if you really like cruising. For someone who has never cruised before, if you hate it and you are on a 7 night it will feel like torture.
But if you really enjoy it you can book a placeholder on the ship and come back for a longer cruise!

You are the one who said skip the other ships because they look old and tired and I say they don't. I would like to know where they look old and tired?
You said most of the people that prefer the older ships have nostalgia for them and I was just pointing out it is not nostalgia. We pay a premium for a Disney cruise and expect a premium product so yes we will nit pick it. But Disney really dropped the ball when they chose a person who had NEVER set foot on a cruise ship to design the ship.

I agree that the original poster will experience a beautiful ship and fantastic shows.
I also agree they should experience the Wish or Treasure.
I fully agree they may love both ships.

But to tell them to skip the other ships because they are looking old and tired compared to the Wish is so wrong!

And for the original poster, I would recommend a 4 night cruise first. That is just long enough to find out if you really like cruising. For someone who has never cruised before, if you hate it and you are on a 7 night it will feel like torture.
But if you really enjoy it you can book a placeholder on the ship and come back for a longer cruise!
IMG_2289.jpegIMG_2290.jpeg

I am sorry StEpHandMiKe I kind of hijacked your thread.
I was just wondering if your question has been answered to your satisfaction?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter