Help me convince DH to try the Fort!

iamadisneynut

Mouseketeer
Hi all! We are a family of 7! Five kids, ages 7, 10, 12, 12, and 15. Disney vets, have stayed on and offsite, usually offsite for more room.

I want to rent an RV and try the Fort this March but DH is concerned about the space, that it will feel too cramped with the kids.

I think it will be a great new experience to try camping! And at disney! So much to do we won't be in the RV much!

Help me convince DH to try something new!

Here is how it goes at my house:

Wife: Honey, I want a new comforter set for the bedroom.
Me: But we just got a new comforter set 9 months ago...
Wife: But it looks kinda small now and the color just doesn't blend the way I like.
Me: Look, we just paid $350 for a comforter se...(slap)
Wife: I'm sorry, what did you say?
Me: (getting up off floor) I don't see why we ne...(slap)
Wife: Did you just say you would start washing all the clothes?
Me: Buy a new set...get two just to make sure...
Wife: Great! Get a shower and we can go to town right now and shop for one.
Me: But I have some things I wanted to d...(slap)
Wife: I'm sorry, what did you say?
Me: I'll get the keys...

Here is how it goes at my house: Wife: Honey, I want a new comforter set for the bedroom. Me: But we just got a new comforter set 9 months ago... Wife: But it looks kinda small now and the color just doesn't blend the way I like. Me: Look, we just paid $350 for a comforter se...(slap) Wife: I'm sorry, what did you say? Me: (getting up off floor) I don't see why we ne...(slap) Wife: Did you just say you would start washing all the clothes? Me: Buy a new set...get two just to make sure... Wife: Great! Get a shower and we can go to town right now and shop for one. Me: But I have some things I wanted to d...(slap) Wife: I'm sorry, what did you say? Me: I'll get the keys...

Lol, that's funny! I could "convince" DH that way! But I was hoping for a more gentle approach lol

Iamadisneynut,

Little humor there for you. To be honest, it really depends on what size rv you rent. There are several that can sleep that many people comfortably and others here on the boards can suggest some rental companies that they have used. It is certainly doable.

As far as convincing husband, my advice would be to first get the kids on board with this plan. If you can get them behind you, he'll cave...trust me...been there...

The Fort has a lot of new things that other resorts don't have. There is archery, horseback riding, different themed pools, looping, wildlife running all over and through your campsites, the horse stables for all the Disney horses are here as well.

Trails End is a good place to get homestyle food, while the Hoop Dee Doo dinner show is a must for those who have never seen it and it is easily accessed from inside the Fort.

You have the boatride to MK, Wilderness Lodge, and several other resorts where you have even more restaurant options.

I think you just need to get the kids convinced and the rest will sort itself out. Are you planning on renting near your home and drive down, or are you wanting to rent near Disney and have them set it up? Knowing this may help some of the others give you some pointers on nearby rental companies to try.

Hope this helps some.

Iamadisneynut,

The best advice I can give you (coming from someone with four step kids and one little on on the way) is to try out your planned accomodations for a weekend at a local campground before you go to the Fort. This could go a longggg way in getting your husband on board.

You'll have time to get comfortable with setting up and staying in an RV (don't worry if it's not the one you'll be in at the Fort, just find a similar one in the same class, I'm assuming you'll be in a Class A or C). Once he sees that you all can have fun and be really comfy in the camper, you've lept over your biggest hurdle.

Also, I would look for an RV that has a "bunk-house" style setup. Usually these will have a Queen or King sized bed in the bedroom, a pullout sofa and one or two sets of bunks in the hallway.

Remember, if one bathroom doesn't seem like enough, the comfort stations at the Fort are impeccably clean and never very far away. You can always request to be put near one if it makes you feel more comfortable.

If you have any specific questions, let me know. We camp almost every weekend during the summer in our camper and are really familiar with the ins and outs of it all.

Good luck!

Iamadisneynut, Little humor there for you. To be honest, it really depends on what size rv you rent. There are several that can sleep that many people comfortably and others here on the boards can suggest some rental companies that they have used. It is certainly doable. As far as convincing husband, my advice would be to first get the kids on board with this plan. If you can get them behind you, he'll cave...trust me...been there... The Fort has a lot of new things that other resorts don't have. There is archery, horseback riding, different themed pools, looping, wildlife running all over and through your campsites, the horse stables for all the Disney horses are here as well. Trails End is a good place to get homestyle food, while the Hoop Dee Doo dinner show is a must for those who have never seen it and it is easily accessed from inside the Fort. You have the boatride to MK, Wilderness Lodge, and several other resorts where you have even more restaurant options. I think you just need to get the kids convinced and the rest will sort itself out. Are you planning on renting near your home and drive down, or are you wanting to rent near Disney and have them set it up? Knowing this may help some of the others give you some pointers on nearby rental companies to try. Hope this helps some.

Love the humour! :-)

We have visited the Fort before to ride the ponies, see the Hoop Dee Doo, rent boats. My husband hasn't always been on those trips. But I have come to appreciate all the Fort has to offer!

We would rent from a company in the Orlando area for the RV. We aren't campers but I think this would be a great way to try it out with all the comforts of home!

We also have a small dog we would bring with us.

Thanks for all the advice! Hoping I can persuade DH! Five kids in an RV might be a lot but there's so much to do!

Give them a choice: RV or tent and I'll bet they choose the RV! :)

1) My past advice to wives has had great reviews and compliments.
2) We go to The Fort, OR
. . . you cook your own meals
. . . you dust and vacuum for the next full year
. . . you do your own laundry
. . . you babysit the kids, solely, for the next two weeks

NOTE: The last two usually get IMMEDIATE AND POSITIVE results!

Hi all! We are a family of 7! Five kids, ages 7, 10, 12, 12, and 15. Disney vets, have stayed on and offsite, usually offsite for more room. I want to rent an RV and try the Fort this March but DH is concerned about the space, that it will feel too cramped with the kids. I think it will be a great new experience to try camping! And at disney! So much to do we won't be in the RV much! Help me convince DH to try something new!

Have you guys ever camped before? We are a family of 11 (DW, 6 DSs, 3 DDs, and me) and we'll have 10 of us in an RV at the Fort in January, but we've been tent camping before and know that we'll be ok.

If you treat it like a camping trip and people expect to sleep wherever, you'll be fine. We've found that the kids love the idea of just dropping a sleeping bag anywhere on the floor if needed. Makes it more of an adventure.

7 should be no problem in a larger RV. If we can do it and have fun, anyone can.

Enjoy!

Good choice in renting down there. We travel from Ontario as does CDNcruiser. It is a long drive if you have never driven a RV or trailer.

By staying in a trailer at the fort you spend very little time INSIDE the trailer. the Kids will acually have way more space to run around and play outside. They do not allow much vehicle traffic within the campground.

Pool is only a small walk away ( includes a slide, play area and hot tub) Afternoon games at the pool, Boat to MK, fireworks from the beach, movie everynight

Just to name a few of what we like about Ft. Wildnerness.

Have you guys ever camped before? We are a family of 11 (DW, 6 DSs, 3 DDs, and me) and we'll have 10 of us in an RV at the Fort in January, but we've been tent camping before and know that we'll be ok. If you treat it like a camping trip and people expect to sleep wherever, you'll be fine. We've found that the kids love the idea of just dropping a sleeping bag anywhere on the floor if needed. Makes it more of an adventure. 7 should be no problem in a larger RV. If we can do it and have fun, anyone can. Enjoy![/QUOTE

We have never camped before.

We aren't really "roughing" it kind of people but an RV appeals to me! Kudos to you for tent camping with that many kids, I could never. But I like the outdoors and the idea is nice! I'm hoping DH comes around.

I think he likes the space and privacy our own house affords us so worried he'll be stressed in the RV. And I don't want a stressed vacation!

But I think the kids would love it and have lots of freedom to ride their bikes or go to the playground.

Seems so great!!

Hi all! We are a family of 7! Five kids, ages 7, 10, 12, 12, and 15. Disney vets, have stayed on and offsite, usually offsite for more room.

I want to rent an RV and try the Fort this March but DH is concerned about the space, that it will feel too cramped with the kids.

I think it will be a great new experience to try camping! And at disney! So much to do we won't be in the RV much!

Help me convince DH to try something new!

When at the fort the kids hang OUTSIDE. Plenty of room to roam. The camper is simply the shelter for sleeping. :-)

By staying in a trailer at the fort you spend very little time INSIDE the trailer. the Kids will acually have way more space to run around and play outside. They do not allow much vehicle traffic within the campground.

Pool is only a small walk away ( includes a slide, play area and hot tub) Afternoon games at the pool, Boat to MK, fireworks from the beach, movie every night.

^^ THIS ^^

Also, along the lines of tiggerdad's story about his persuasive DW, I think you should invoke your "woman's prerogative" to decide you guys are doing the Fort this time and everyone will like it! Since ya'll are Disney vets as you said, try it once and if you don't like it you won't have to do it again.

But I bet they will and it will become your preferred way to stay.

Happy to have you with us campers!

Bama Ed

Along the lines of the previous posters, rather a Camper, condo or hotel room how much time on vacation do you really spend in a room? The Fort just provides more opportunites for the children when you are not at parks or doing something else. I brought a pop-up and granted there were only 4, there was plenty of extra room for individuals to sleep (I didn't even turn my eating area into a place that 2 children can easily sleep). When we got back from the parks we rode bikes or did something else. A couple of times the children went and did something and the wife and myself just sat in chairs in front of the camper and it was very relaxing. I understand camping is not for all families. It could even be for some of the children they will enjoy it and for others they will not. In an RV it will not be miserable.

The camper is simply the shelter for sleeping. :-)
I'll be a slight voice of dissent. My DW is not an outdoor person. She doesn't "camp", but she will "RV". There is a difference. For her, the RV needs to have all the comforts of home (A/C, satellite, microwave and enough space to be comfortable) This last point would be the primary reason she would resist renting an RV (motorhome or trailer) with such a large family. They do make RV's that can sleep 7, but I'm not sure how comfortable 7 people all inside on a rainy day would really be. On the flip side, 1 or 2 rooms at a moderate resort would only be slightly more comfortable to me.

You know your DH. If he won't be interested in hanging outside or doing any of the Fort activities, then renting an RV may not be for him. Sitting inside an RV when you aren't in a park will feel confined compared to a resort room. The best angle might be to assure him the RV is just for sleeping and the rest of the time you'll be in the parks or doing other WDW things.

If your DH is as frugal as my DW, do the math and show him how being able to fix meals and eat in your "room" will save considerable $$. That is usually all I have to do to convince my DW. :)

j

Hi everyone!

So just to update you all, we have been talking and DH read through all your replies and things look good for trying the Fort for March!! Yay!! I've contacted a couple of rental companies so if anyone has any specific recommendations that would be great. Still need to discuss a little further with the kids but they seem excited with the freedom it would allow them to explore. Need to look into a bike rack for the truck to bring the bikes down with us (we drive from Ontario Canada).

I'm so excited! I need to dial it down. I have visions of children giggling with flashlights in the evenings and exploring on their bikes during the day. My 7 year old wants to ride a pony every day. Hopefully it will be close to want I'm envisioning and not screaming and fighting over who has to sleep where and who's turn it is in the bathroom lol!!

Thanks guys!

Any more tips and suggestions for a Fort newbie are welcomed!!

Good for you. I have two pieces of advice.

First, although I've never rented a trailer, I've read where they can book up well in advance. With March being a popular spring break vacation time and the weather wonderful that time of year (I was at the Fort this past March), rental trailers will be busy so my advice is to book sooner rather than later. A bird in the hand, so to speak.... (book that Fort campsite early as well).

Second, folks who stay at the Fort usually love it and want to do it again. Frequently they say they want to plan more time to hang out at the Fort and enjoy the relaxed pace and beautiful outdoors. Only you know how many park days you want to do and how many days are in your vacation but you will probably want to plan more time at the Fort than you previously spent at your past hotels, resorts, etc.

Good thing is you have plenty of time to plan this new little adventure. :woohoo:

Bama Ed

Good for you. I have two pieces of advice. First, although I've never rented a trailer, I've read where they can book up well in advance. With March being a popular spring break vacation time and the weather wonderful that time of year (I was at the Fort this past March), rental trailers will be busy so my advice is to book sooner rather than later. A bird in the hand, so to speak.... (book that Fort campsite early as well). Second, folks who stay at the Fort usually love it and want to do it again. Frequently they say they want to plan more time to hang out at the Fort and enjoy the relaxed pace and beautiful outdoors. Only you know how many park days you want to do and how many days are in your vacation but you will probably want to plan more time at the Fort than you previously spent at your past hotels, resorts, etc. Good thing is you have plenty of time to plan this new little adventure. :woohoo: Bama Ed

Thanks! We are going away for the weekend but will likely book something next week. One of the companies I've contacted already had one of the trailers I was interested in rent to someone else in he past couple of days.

And we will likely do 5 day tickets for the week we are there. But won't do full days. I'm excited to do lots of the things at the Fort!

Woohoo!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter