Help me get excited about SSR

AshleyMWC

DIS Veteran
OK, so long story short, we had to juggle some finances around and ended up decided to rent DVC points rather that do Free Dining with a room package. Since we are under 7 months, all we could get was SSR for the week of Dec 11-17. I REALLY wanted AKL for the kids first trip. I know SSR is a nice resort, but I'm bummed that it's just so sprawling and won't feel Christmasy or very Disney for my kids - ages 5 and almost 3. It'll be cold so no pools I'm guessing :( Please make me feel ok about staying here with little kids!!!

1. SSR is no more sprawling than AKV, honestly. It's multiple buildings, but AKV isn't exactly "compact," what with the long wings and two campuses.

2. SSR is a beautiful resort and they do decorate for Christmas. It isn't quite the lobby at Jambo, but it's Christmassy.

3. Your kids are 5 and 3. They will be at Disney. I doubt they'll complain.

4. Take the boat to Disney Springs for the DS Santa!

We stayed there over NYE a couple years ago. I can't say that the decorations are anything elaborate - To me it only felt minimally decorated. That didn't really bother us because when you go to the parks the decorations were amazing. At SSR we were in the grandstand which was a pretty good location. Not a bad walk to the pool, main lobby/check in, CS location and the artist point. You can walk or take the boat to Disney springs. We wanted to but never had the time during our trip. The pools were pretty quiet compared to some other resorts. The resort is nice, but for me lacked the feel of being in Florida because there is not a palm tree in sight.

To experience some over the top decorations you could plan some TS/CS meals at other resorts so that you can check out the decorations -Maybe plan an afternoon at AKL to have an early dinner/late lunch and get to view the animals- I hear VWL is amazing -- did not see it myself but have heard this is a must see for decorations. GF is also a great lobby to visit. Don't stress! it will be a magical trip simply because you are at Disney.

We stayed at both AKL and SSR last trip. AKL is a cool resort, but we really enjoyed SSR too. I agree that AKL can be sprawling too... We has a studio all the way at the ends of Jambo house (even though we requested close to transportation- bummer) and the walk felt much more inconvenient than just walking out of our room at SSR and hopping on the bus. We stayed in the Congress Park section so we had a short walk to DS and that was great too.

Ultimately I wouldn't stress too much about it, the kids will have fun no matter where you stay and they won't know what they are missing. All the better to do AKL your next trip and they will probably even remember it better! Have fun!

I'll be honest that we haven't actually stayed at SSR yet (although we own there and will stay there this Oct), but our kids were the same ages as yours for their first trip. It also happened to be Christmas-time. That was way before we owned DVC, and we rented a house. I was worried about it not being Disney enough, but I quickly learned that we got enough Disney "magic" in the parks, and escaping to a quiet sanctuary was a blessing for all of us! You have plenty of time to stay at other resorts as your kids get older, and you may find that they appreciate AKV more when they can remember it. We stayed at AKV when our kids were 12 and 10 and it was perfect! I'm sure you will love SSR, and your kids won't know the difference!

OK, so long story short, we had to juggle some finances around and ended up decided to rent DVC points rather that do Free Dining with a room package. Since we are under 7 months, all we could get was SSR for the week of Dec 11-17. I REALLY wanted AKL for the kids first trip. I know SSR is a nice resort, but I'm bummed that it's just so sprawling and won't feel Christmasy or very Disney for my kids - ages 5 and almost 3. It'll be cold so no pools I'm guessing :( Please make me feel ok about staying here with little kids!!!

disney pools are heated. we have always managed to swim during our Dec trips (and January, February, lol). It depends on your tolerance. If you're from the North, it will likely feel balmy. If anything, hit the hot tub.

have you been to WDW for the holidays in the past? If not and decorations are important to you, try to stop by GF, WL or BC for really lovely decorations. We own @ AKV & love it but IMO their holiday decorations seem a bit more sedate. By all means, stop there and view the savannahs. It's a nice afternoon break. If the budget allows, MNSSHP will surely get you in the spirit.

I've only stayed @ SSR once last November and was thrilled to find last minute lodgings. I didn't get a heavy disney vibe there as to decor, but I don't at many other resorts either - other than the values with their giant icons.

I can understand your disappointment at not getting your first choice, AKL is a beautiful resort. We've stayed at AKL a number of times. Having said that, SSR is one of my favorite resorts and I never feel bad when I stay there. The rooms are very nice and colorful. I love the location. Being close to Disney Springs is great, plus you have access to the buses that can take you directly to other resorts, that's a huge perk. Plus it gives you so many dining options close by. My kids are 6 and 2, they love SSR. We'll be there for the end of December and early January staying at our two home resorts, PVB and SSR and I am not sad about that at all.

Hope that helps a bit.

We really enjoy SSR! I love the quiet when you are ready to get those kiddos to sleep, whether it's a nap or nighttime - no hallway noises for you there. We love the walk or boat ride to DTD/Disney Springs where we always hit the Lego store and watch street entertainers or eat dinner. DH is a runner and appreciates all the good paths to get a short distance run in - can't do that at many of the other resorts. We think the food at Artist's palate is some of the better quick service in Disney and the Turf club has a lovely back deck with seating for dinner, which in December might be really lovely. The pool is great and the movies on the pool deck always have lots of chairs ready to go at night. You never know, it may be perfect swimming weather! Definitely don't be worried. It's got plenty of plusses.

We went in mid Dec one year and it was HOT. 90's and humid. So swimming is definitely a possibility. Even in late Jan when much cooler we've swam since the pools are heated. The pools at SSR are quite nice. My 3 year old LOVED the Paddock pool's kid area. We could hardly peel her away from it. The bigger water slides are quite nice too so your 5 year old may really love those.
Disney Springs has a very Christmasy feel and we love being able to walk over there. Santa is there to meet as well.
Not having bright hallways and having to go into a loud lobby was so nice bringing sleeping children back after late fireworks nights. We drove and had a ground floor room so parked right in front of our building every night. It was so convenient! So much better than long hallway treks with a kid asleep on your shoulder!
We as adults take much more notice of the particular hotel than small children do. If you seem to love it, your kids will too. They are at Disney after all. My young kids still knew we were at Disney when we arrived at SSR even if it is less in your face.

We have stayed many times and I love it. I could be happy staying anywhere on property as long as we are at Disney but SSR is really nice. I like their CS restaurant, they have good pools and are close to Disney Springs. We have NO issues with their buses either. If you drive then you don't have to wait on any buses. I find SSR to be quiet too. I actually SSR and OKW to the having to go in a lobby of a resort to get to our rooms. You will have a magical trip.

I personally think the lobby decorations at SSR are very nice. You might be able to swim in December, you just never know what the weather will be like.

http://**************.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Lobby-Disneys-Saratoga-Springs-Resort-Spa-from-**************.net_.jpghttp://**************.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Kids-Area-Lobby-Disneys-Saratoga-Springs-Resort-Spa-from-**************.net_.jpg

Last edited:
No. Because then you will understand its charms and secrets and want to come back. Nothing to see here. Move along, move along.

I'm always sad when people bash SSR and play the woe is me song and they haven't even stayed there before. Give it a fair shot and you may be pleasantly surprised. :rolleyes:

We are checking into SSR on the day you're leaving and were in almost the exact same boat. We'd reserved a FD package at Pop and were really excited about the trip - then I learned about renting DVC points. Since our trip is only 5 months away, we didn't think there'd be any availability anywhere, but we were able to grab a stay at SSR for our dates! We're so excited!

We are paying for the dining plan OOP instead of getting free dining because of the switch, and it's still only going to be a few hundred more than the package we were getting at a value resort. I can't believe we hadn't been renting points all along!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter