Help me love Wilderness Lodge

deegack

DIS Veteran
We are going to WDW next year with DH's family. Originally DH and I (and our DD) were going to stay at Boardwalk because my dad is a DVC member and the inlaw were going to stay offsite or at the All stars. Now it looks like they are camping at Fort Wilderness. DH wants to stay in Wilderness Lodge (assuming we can get a one bedroom at 7 months) so we can me closer to them.

I was excited about Boardwalk. I was looking forward to walking to two parks. The entertainment on the Boardwalk.

I like the boat to MK and the Chip and Dale campfire, but what else is exciting about WL?

I have stayed at both VWL and BWV--we LOVED VWL. The theming of the lobby and other common areas of VWL IMHO is the best at Disney. I also really like Whispering Canyon Cafe better than the restaurants at BWV. You can take the boat to the Contemporary, then walk to MK or take the monorail to Epcot. When we stayed at BWV the walk to DHS and Epcot seemed really long. VWL feels like a Disney resort and BWV just feels like a hotel. The only reason we are not staying at VWL next weekend (!!!!!) is that we booked late (4 weeks ago), and it was full. VWL is always my first choice.

:love: WL. Looking forward to our 3rd stay in Jan. Love walking into that stunning lobby, fun pool, listening to the boat horns in the distance, watching the Electric Water Parade from the beach, the geyser, boat to MK, or resort boat to CR- easy to get to ADRs in the other MK resorts, just hop the monorail to GF or Poly. Marina- we enjoy renting the SeaRaycers. Movies on the beach, beautiful walking trail over to FW.
Roaring Forks! BWI doesn't have a CS. One of the things they are lacking IMO.
Also like WCC. Fun meal.

For some reason, BWI just never appealed to me. In Epcot area we loved BC.

http://allears.net/acc/g_wl.htm Here are some photos to help you love WL!

Well, it's a bit like comparing apples and oranges - both are great in their own way.

I love BWV for the location and the bright airy rooms. I like being able to walk to two parks (or more correctly, walk back from two parks when the boats are standing room only). The only thing I miss at BWV is having a real QS option at the resort (I know they have those kiosks and you can get sandwiches at the Bakery, but it's just not the same), and I'm not too fond of the parking at BW.

I love VWL for the location and the cozy rooms. I love all the fireplaces and nooks & crannies to get lost in. I love the fact that I can be a few minutes from home and feel like I'm miles away from Florida. I like to ride my bike back and forth between FW and WL. I find I spend more time at the resort at VWL - not because it's isolated or because I have to, but because I want to. I also like the restaurants at WL - from Roaring Forks all the way up to Artist Point. The only complaint I have about VWL is that their villas are slightly smaller than BWV.

I think you will have a great time at VWL - you're just working through the transition period where you let go of one resort and embrace another.

I can tell you I have never stayed at WL, but I go out of my way every year to get to it at least once during the week.

I love the cozy feel of the lobby when you enter, the wonderful walk from the bus to the entrance, the lounge, the pool, love Artist's Point for a wonderful meal. The view of the building looking back from the pool/geyser.

To me, it is one of the most breathtaking resorts on-site.

We are going to WDW next year with DH's family. Originally DH and I (and our DD) were going to stay at Boardwalk because my dad is a DVC member and the inlaw were going to stay offsite or at the All stars. Now it looks like they are camping at Fort Wilderness. DH wants to stay in Wilderness Lodge (assuming we can get a one bedroom at 7 months) so we can me closer to them.

I was excited about Boardwalk. I was looking forward to walking to two parks. The entertainment on the Boardwalk.

I like the boat to MK and the Chip and Dale campfire, but what else is exciting about WL?
There are lots of photos and info. on the first page of the WL thread that is hyperlinked in my signature. Could you do a split stay?

Thanks everyone. I know I will love it once I am there. I just had the vision of walking into Epcot and getting a pastry in France and wandering home when I wanted. (Epcot is my favorite park.)

I am sure I'll be back soon and stay a BWV or BCV. I mean VWL was on my list of resorts to stay at. It does seem to have some fun stuff to do and Fort Wilderness is pretty close.

BWV is "in the middle of it all." VWL is "a vacation within a vacation." Both are great, but truth be told, VWL speaks to me just a little bit more. The Epcot proximity is nice, but honestly the walk to France and back for a pastry is nearly a 30 minute round trip. You can be at the Main Street Bakery almost as quickly!

BWV is "in the middle of it all." VWL is "a vacation within a vacation." Both are great, but truth be told, VWL speaks to me just a little bit more. The Epcot proximity is nice, but honestly the walk to France and back for a pastry is nearly a 30 minute round trip. You can be at the Main Street Bakery almost as quickly!

Why not just go to the Boardwalk Bakery then.:confused3

This what keeps us coming back to the WL year after year; the boat ride to MK, FW, CR, boat ride to CR to catch monorail, bus to MK less than 10 min, close proximity to FW, CR, Poly, GF for dining options, & even being in the middle of all of this you still have a feeling of being "away" from the hustle & bustle of DW. As the OP said it's like two vacations in one!

I'm can't think of any reason not to like WL. It's not my veryfavorite, but that is one beautiful place. We're staying at VWL on our next trip and looking forward to it. :earsboy:

We love the Wilderness! If your in-laws are going to stay at Fort Wilderness than VWL is a great place to stay. In the 10 visits to Disney, we met family twice. We were always at different resorts and it made it hard to meet up with one another.

The Wilderness has so much to offer. Treat yourself to the Artist Point and Whispering Canon.

We've stayed at WL many times over the years. IMO, it's the best resort on property. It is very laid back and doesn't feel stuffy or stuck up like the GF or Poly. Again, just my opinion.

I would recommend against concierge level however as the lounge is unbelieveably small and understaffed, but seeing as you're staying in the Villas, it won't even be a concern.

The Villas are beautiful. I'm looking forward to staying there in the near future. :)

Do not fret!!

While it is true that I would always take the BWI over the WL if $ was no object (better location, bigger/better decorated rooms), the WL is still an absolutely incredible resort! :thumbsup2

The themes of the two resorts could not be more different, but I truly feel that everyone should experience each of the different resort themes at least once. The boat to the MK is really convenient and the resort feels so peaceful/secluded at night. After a crazy day at the parks, this is usually a good thing! We have not yet had the opportunity to try Artist Point, but did enjoy the rowdy experience at Whispering Canyon Cafe (great for kids) and found Roaring Fork to be one of the better deluxe quick service restaurants. The lobby is absolutely stunning-- especially at night when you can relax by that huge fireplace! The main reason we are reluctant to stay at the WL again is because we are not crazy about the room decor-- but we still make it a point to visit the resort during each of our WDW visits!

The WL is beautiful and a truly distinctive experience. Even if you still end up preferring the BWI after your stay, I highly doubt that you will regret having given the WL a try.

We've stayed at WL many times over the years. IMO, it's the best resort on property. It is very laid back and doesn't feel stuffy or stuck up like the GF or Poly. Again, just my opinion.

I would recommend against concierge level however as the lounge is unbelieveably small and understaffed, but seeing as you're staying in the Villas, it won't even be a concern.

The Villas are beautiful. I'm looking forward to staying there in the near future. :)

What's a stuck up resort?:confused3

We'll be staying at the Contemporary on our anniversary trip, but I really want to just go over to the Wilderness Lodge to unwind after a stressful day at the parks. I am a nature lover, and as an above poster said, it is just calling to me. I'm not crazy about the room decor, as well as that of Animal Kingdom Lodge, which I'd love to stay at, but I really would feel like I was on vacation if I stayed there. I told my husband that I've got Wilderness Lodge on my radar for a getaway weekend, and he can come with me if he wants, doesn't matter to me either way. I plan to bring my binoculars, a good book and my swimming suit. I'll take the boat to the parks if I want to. It seems silly to pay Disney prices to do this, but living in the Southeast, it's much quicker for me to fly to Orlando and pretend that I'm in the Pacific Northwest. To go to Seattle for real, which we did once, takes two days just on the plane, round trip. I'll miss the mountains, but I can close my eyes and still imagine I'm in the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

We'll be staying at the Contemporary on our anniversary trip, but I really want to just go over to the Wilderness Lodge to unwind after a stressful day at the parks. I am a nature lover, and as an above poster said, it is just calling to me. I'm not crazy about the room decor, as well as that of Animal Kingdom Lodge, which I'd love to stay at, but I really would feel like I was on vacation if I stayed there. I told my husband that I've got Wilderness Lodge on my radar for a getaway weekend, and he can come with me if he wants, doesn't matter to me either way. I plan to bring my binoculars, a good book and my swimming suit. I'll take the boat to the parks if I want to. It seems silly to pay Disney prices to do this, but living in the Southeast, it's much quicker for me to fly to Orlando and pretend that I'm in the Pacific Northwest. To go to Seattle for real, which we did once, takes two days just on the plane, round trip. I'll miss the mountains, but I can close my eyes and still imagine I'm in the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Nothing wrong with this at all! I have spent quite a few long weekends at WL and not gone to the parks once!

I was worried I would be considered strange to do the Wilderness long weekend. Glad to hear it's okay! Going to try to go during a slow time. I went to college at UMiami, and was able to swim year round. I would like to enjoy the pool, but don't want the crowds of summer. Can you recommend a good time of year for one of these long weekends? Will have to be while son is away at college, unless I can convince him to meet me there for a weekend? He's a nature lover, too, and I think he'll love the place. He's 19. Husband will be welcome, but he hates to travel.

I was worried I would be considered strange to do the Wilderness long weekend. Glad to hear it's okay! Going to try to go during a slow time. I went to college at UMiami, and was able to swim year round. I would like to enjoy the pool, but don't want the crowds of summer. Can you recommend a good time of year for one of these long weekends? Will have to be while son is away at college, unless I can convince him to meet me there for a weekend? He's a nature lover, too, and I think he'll love the place. He's 19. Husband will be welcome, but he hates to travel.

I prefer to go when the weather is temperate - October/November or April/early May. That way, it's not too hot if I want to rent a bike (or bring my own) and ride to FW and back, and it's not too cool to enjoy the pool or renting a boat at the marina.

5724882c.jpg

6034bb5f.jpg

d859e175.jpg

image.jpg

3b308d6c.jpg

Hope these help ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter