Help me pick a resort please!

Ambehnke

DIS Veteran
This is always the hardest part for me. This is our 5th trip. Me, DH, DS(6) and DD(turning 5 on trip). We have stayed off site, Contemporary, and POR. Trip is Jan 26-Feb 2. This trip we will be celebrating my birthday on check in day and my daughters on Jan 30. Most likely 3 MK days, 2 Epcot, 1 AK, 1 HS. We don’t do rest days but do take a break each day although we usually go in summer (have also done Nov) so maybe that will be a little different with the shorter hours. We will probably stay deluxe. We love the ease of staying at the Contemporary and walking to/from MK. Poly is my dream resort though and I’ve also loved the idea of Beach Club but wonder if maybe it will be too cold for the pool although my kids will still want to try it no matter where we stay. Out of park planned meals are HDD on my birthday, Beaches and Cream, and Trattoria bfast. If we stay at poly we’d probably do a Kona breakfast too. Help!

Hmm, I would look at the Poly first then.

There is also the option of renting DVC points at the Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas, etc...

Personally I prefer the Boardwalk area resorts to the Monorail resorts for the beautiful location and ease of access to EP and HS.

Your call. If it were totally up to me I would go back to POR. It's the best value of all resorts IMO. :)

Dan

I would pick Poly! Walkable to TTC for Epcot, and easy access to MK on the boat or monorail. Especially if you're spending most of your time at those two parks, it's the most convenient. The Poly also has a really cool splash area/kids' pool area if it is warm enough to swim.

Another vote for Poly. If that doesn't work, Wilderness is really nice. A big fan of Beach Club and that area. But, if the weather doesn't cooperate so you can enjoy the pool, its a long way from MK where it lokw like you will spend a lot of time.

The only real reason I'd go with Yacht/Beach over Poly would be for the pool... but as you say there is no guarantee on the weather, and Poly's pool is fun too, so I would go with Poly.

I would pick Poly! Walkable to TTC for Epcot, and easy access to MK on the boat or monorail. Especially if you're spending most of your time at those two parks, it's the most convenient. The Poly also has a really cool splash area/kids' pool area if it is warm enough to swim.

:thumbsup2

Not that money isn’t an object because we are pretty frugal by nature and I’m always looking for the best deal but we are definitely doing well $ wise and tend to splurge on vacations and our kids’ birthdays. Since it’s a January trip we plan to also make it a xmas present since we are building a house in spring and want to have less toys to move ha. Also this is a double birthday trip which we probably won’t do again since I am a teacher and requires me taking a week off of school. My son got a $1,000+ go kart for his 5th birthday so I’m gonna say that cost isn’t the deciding factor for where we stay this time.

Not that money isn’t an object because we are pretty frugal by nature and I’m always looking for the best deal but we are definitely doing well $ wise and tend to splurge on vacations and our kids’ birthdays. Since it’s a January trip we plan to also make it a xmas present since we are building a house in spring and want to have less toys to move ha. Also this is a double birthday trip which we probably won’t do again since I am a teacher and requires me taking a week off of school. My son got a $1,000+ go kart for his 5th birthday so I’m gonna say that cost isn’t the deciding factor for where we stay this time.
Then the Poly for sure I'd say. 2 stops from MK on the monorail, 10 minute walk to the TTC for Epcot.

Another vote for the Poly. Your trip looks heavily slanted towards the monorail parks (MK and Epcot) and you have already stayed at the Contemp. If you do stay at the Poly please do a trip report. For our 6th trip in 2021 my girls want the Poly and we will be staying there for 10 days in early Feb. so anything you learn or experience would really help.

Going to be the oddball.... we’ve stayed CR twice and Poly twice (as well as yacht club, beach club). I don’t think poly is worth the extra price. We much prefer CR to it. It might be because we go to Hawaii a lot and get the real vibe there, but if you like CR already might still be a good option.... either way, have fun!

Picking a resort is such a personal thing. For us it's Wilderness Lodge always. We love the boat ride to the Magic Kingdom and we also like the smaller size of the resort. DH loves the rustic décor and his favorite thing is to sit in the middle of the lobby and just take everything in. When we are looking to save we love POFQ. It's small and quiet and very relaxing. Hope you have a great vacation no matter where you decide to stay.

Since Poly is your dream resort I’d pick that. For all the reasons stated. It’s also easy to get to HDD from Poly. Just take the boat to MK then hop on the FW boat. It lets you off right near HDD.
I’ve had lots of mid to late Jan WDW trips and weather can be anything from quite warm afternoons, early morning & evening are chilly, to freezing temps, to days of rain. I’ve swam many times in Jan.

Not sure how much help I’ll be, because we live BOTH the Poly and the Beach Club. One note, the BC pool is heated (almost to the point of being too warm in the summer!).

I would do a split stay and do both Poly and the Beach Club. You could plan your Magic Kingdom days for Poly and HS and Epcot for Beach Club. You'll get to try out both and the hotel will move your luggage for you if you want. The switchover day would be good to go to Animal Kingdom since it's far from both and when you're done you go to your new hotel :)

I absolutely love Beach/Yacht Club and the pool is really amazing if you want to take a midday break. I have been at Disney around the same time you are going for the last two years and again this year and plenty of people were swimming. Also it's really nice being close to two different parks and having the boardwalk to explore as well. You should be able to get a pretty decent room discount which will make staying at a resort sting less, last year I got 30% off a deluxe around that time, hopefully past patterns hold up for 2019.

The Deluxe resorts are through the roof, especially in the summer time. If I had kids your age, I would stay at the Art of Animation - it is considered a value resort. Has a wonderful pool in which kids would want to stay in all day. It has the best food court. It has great theming and is around $152 a night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter