Help me plan my 2023 $16K SOLO vacation!

DISNEY1975

DIS Veteran
Ive had a dream, and until now, its just been a dream. I never thought it could actually become reality until this year.

My dream... to spend 1 month at Disney and dine at as many TS as possible!

I have 3 children and my last will be heading off to college this fall. I have a full time job, which, since covid, has become work from home and we recently received news that we will never be returning to the office.

So, just for fun, I put my dream to paper and saw that it would only (roughly) cost about $16K for me to go to Disney for 30 days. Yes, a lot of money, but not horrific. Around the house, I now refer to it as my $16,000 vacation! (and ask my husband for $16.000 every time he asks me to help him with something!)

My rough draft plan for Sept 2023 includes 2 meals per day
10 days at a Mod Resort - 20 Park and Resort TSs
10 days on Hotel Plaza Blvd. - Hitting 20 DS and some resort TSs
10 days at BC or BWI - 20 Epcot/Epcot Resort TSs
1 month rental car
10 day tix with each on property reservation
Discovery Cove/SeaWorld/Aquatica Tix

I will use vacation days for my time at BC/BWI and every checkout/checkin day. The rest I will be working 5am - 1pm.

Im really really really hoping by then some form of the DP will be back, but my calculations are without it.
Would also love if they offered APs again.
Prices grow at the resorts as the days go by Early Sept cheapest, late Sept more expensive, but I want to end my trip at a Deluxe making my way through Epcot. For this reason, I chose the first week for the mod to save a bit.

My questions now are:
Should I scratch all the plans above and stay at a DVC? I dont know how those work. and would only do it if I have space to set up office (laptop, portable monitor, mouse and notebook!) and has a kitchenette so I can store some groceries/fruits/drinks.

How do dining reservations work now? 60+10?

I read Genie+ is day of reservations (my last trip was about a week before the implemented Genie+) is that still the process? I dont plan of a ton of rides. Mostly shows and shopping .

I will have PH and Waterpark added to my tix, but should I focus on 2 (major) parks only for 10 days (plus waterparks. I LOVE the water), or should I hop around depending on wait times and capacity?

Any other tips or tricks?

TIA

Last edited:
Wow! That sounds amazing!

I wanted to address your questions regarding DVC. I have stayed in both one bedroom and studio villas in many of them. I assume you would prefer either BWV or BCV since you want to be near Epcot, so this info is based on those two (not all DVC resorts are identical). If I were staying that long, I would look into renting points for a one bedroom, if it doesn’t stretch your budget too far. The one bedroom gives you a full fridge with separate freezer, and a stove in addition to a microwave and toaster. The studios give you an under counter fridge, with a tiny, tiny, inefficient freezer, and only a microwave and toaster for cooking. I found the studio to be adequate for a week, but for longer, I think you would appreciate the better kitchen (and the in room laundry) of the one bedroom.

The one bedroom units have a family size dining table where you could comfortably work. The studios have one small table intended for two guests which may not be adequate space for working since it sounds like you have a lot to set up.

Whatever you decide resort wise, have a great trip!

The only DVC that doesn’t have a kitchenette would be the new resort studios at Grand Floridian. But to be honest it has a beverage cooler and a microwave and toasters may be requested (I think. It’s so new I’m not sure yet.) so it could work for your purposes too.

For a solo trip I think a studio should be fine. I might move once or twice to enjoy different resorts (and be able to walk to MK for part of the trip and to Epcot/DHS for another). Personally the food at AKL is my favourite out of all the locations at Disney.

If dining is one of the main goals, I’d get park hoppers. That way you could have dinner wherever you wanted without worrying if it’s in a park and whether that’s the park you have reserved that day.

This trip sounds fabulous.

Edited to add: It may be worthwhile to see which business centre locations are open when your trip is confirmed. I feel like wifi has gotten much better since I attempted to work at Disney in 2018, but I’d still like to know there’s somewhere to print pages or scan documents or other work related tasks if necessary.

Wow! This sounds incredible! I WFH and have often thought about putting together a lengthy trip. It might happen for me next year, but definitely won't be as extravagant as yours.

G+ currently is a purchase-day-of add-on, but things will likely change in 2023 (or we may know sooner, who knows). I'd recommend learning how to use G+ and ILLs but I wouldn't recommend making a plan for the order in which you pick rides with G+ until weeks before your trip because return times have been pretty variable recently and may not be reflective of when you'll be going. For instance, my strategy has changed considerably from when I went in January to early July and now I'm not even planning for late-August until the week before. I only use G+ for shows if I need a throwaway one while waiting for return times to tick up.

ADRs are 60+10 days, and, as I'm sure you know, certain ones go very quickly. The good news is you have the 10 day advantage multiple times, so if you prioritize getting the hardest to get ones first for dates later in your window, you will have much better luck than most.

For room type, if I'm going to go all out, I would consider view type to be pretty important, especially if you're going to be in the room a lot. DVC rooms have balconies. I've done a few hours worth of work at the little table in a Pop Century standard room and a AKV-Jambo savanna view deluxe studio and the savanna view winds hands down. Obviously this is personal preference, and you may not notice a difference, but view is something to think about. And, each time I've stayed at a Value or Mod, by day 2 I regret not paying for a preferred location.

You haven't divulged your TS itinerary, but I would pair TS meals where one is bigger (maybe even a pre fixe, family-style, or buffet) and one has better apps or sides. As mentioned above, PHs would definitely help with this. Also, there are several lounges connected to TS (e.g. Nomad lounge and Tiffins) where you can often get TS items in the lounge. And don't forget it will be Food and Wine at Epcot in September 2023 so you've got even more choices!

Off to plan my own WDW extravaganza...

I wanted to address your questions regarding DVC.
Thank you so much for all of that great DVC info. I will look into it and price it out!
Edited to add: It may be worthwhile to see which business centre locations are open when your trip is confirmed. I feel like wifi has gotten much better since I attempted to work at Disney in 2018, but I’d still like to know there’s somewhere to print pages or scan documents or other work related tasks if necessary.
I know The Contemporary doesnt have a business center! Looked into it when I stayed last year and lost my charger. Other than that, I have no idea, but will get on the ball and look for good one! Thank you!
You haven't divulged your TS itinerary,
I dont have it planned out yet. Our trips are usually about 12 days and I always leave wishing I had gone here or there. My dream was to leave with no regrets!! Go to all of them!!! Im not a big eater though, especially in the heat. I just love the themes of all of the restaurants and of course trying something new at all the wonderful places . I know 100% I will go to every TS in Epcot. Beyond that, not sure, but I can hit a bunch in 30 days.

This sounds like such a *dream*. I am so excited to follow along on your journey of planning and then finally living it!
I'm no expert on DVC, but maybe look into renting points to see if you can save some money that way.

You could do a “cheaper“ stay for 30 days at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, especially if you will have a car….

But I like your plan!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter