Help me select a resort

As far as "direct bus to resort", all of the Disney resorts have busses that go directly from the theme parks to the resorts, and vice versa.

Yeah, but some resorts share buses unless it is very busy. The Poly and GF do and it can make for a long trip if you're at the second stop.

Just an FYI, AoA will also be on the gondola line. But unless you want to pay suite prices which can be as high as some lower cost deluxe resorts, you will be in a Little Mermaid room which may or may not appeal to your little boys. ;) AoA also has a really awesome mini Radiator Springs if your boys are Cars fans.

Last edited:
Thank you all for then information and recommendation. I think the swan and dolphin makes the most sense for us if we get decent rates.

How do I go about booking dvc’s for next year in April/May, is it too early?

A question for thor360 - Is this your first trip to Disney?

Have you investigated the value resorts?

We have been to Disney 7 years in a row, and 6 of the 7 years we've stayed at the value resorts. (and our one encounter with a moderate was at CBR and the food court was reduced to a food-tent at the time..) All Star Movies and Pop Century have got a lot of your requirements covered. A preferred room or even a poolside preferred room are amazing.

The theming at the value resorts is amazing! Huge sized Disney characters all around the resorts. The theming will blow the minds of a 2 and 5 year old.

We love the value resorts. We were at All Star Movies in March of this year, and we're returning to All Star Movies again this August.

Thank you all for then information and recommendation. I think the swan and dolphin makes the most sense for us if we get decent rates.

Now is the time to book for April and May. You generally want to be in contact with the Rental Brokers 12-11 months before your checkin date. As DVC owners can start booking the rooms 11 months before checkin. Also there are caveats to renting: majority of payment due right away, no cancellations, no modifications, no daily housekeeping, and a few others. Also if renting you can’t go for the cheapest options at Boardwalk, Animal Kingdom as they are very difficult to get and the rental brokers will have a hard time securing (some won’t even try).

There are two big brokers: David’s and DVC Rental Store.

DVC owners book their home resort at 11 months out and non-home resorts at seven months out. You are 11 months out from May 1 today and ten months out from April 1 today. April brings Easter, Spring Break, etc. May is usually a little easier to book.

I was in a dilemma too. I started a blog, "whats $2100 to you". I had Poly booked for 7 nights in August and discovered that Pop was about $2100 less. I discovered that if I renew my annual pass, and used a discount with it, it brought the Poly down a bit but still very expensive. In the end, we chose the Animal Kingdom Lodge. It was a really good price and we've never stayed there but have wanted to. Now I'm not suggesting necessarily the Animal Kingdom Lodge, although I think you guys would love it. Figure out what you can afford and go from there. Once You find what price level you are at, have fun looking at pictures. We were in that middle of the road and it came down to Port Orleans Riverside, French Quarter, Animal Kingdom and the Beach Club. My family chose the Animal Kingdom Lodge. It is dependent on buses and the ride can be long but we felt it would be worth it. For you guys, given the age of your boys, I have a feeling, one of the other 3 would be a better option.

I don't know what you guys consider expensive, but more power to all those who can pay $500+ and higher a night for some of these deluxe resorts at Dsiney, it's not even all inclusive and doesn't include the park tickets so I can't see myself paying that just for the hotel. I am more comfortable in the $250 range. I know when we go to an all-inclusive in Cancun, you can get a pretty good all inclusive there for that much money.

Just for kicks and giggles I priced out a 5 night at the Contemporary and its coming out to be $5500, I had a good laugh.

I am finding the swan and dolphin to be appealing at this time, for my November dates, its averaging around $270 a night. Thoughts on this resort?
I booked room at AKL in August for $259 a night

A question for thor360 - Is this your first trip to Disney?

Have you investigated the value resorts?

We have been to Disney 7 years in a row, and 6 of the 7 years we've stayed at the value resorts. (and our one encounter with a moderate was at CBR and the food court was reduced to a food-tent at the time..) All Star Movies and Pop Century have got a lot of your requirements covered. A preferred room or even a poolside preferred room are amazing.

The theming at the value resorts is amazing! Huge sized Disney characters all around the resorts. The theming will blow the minds of a 2 and 5 year old.

We love the value resorts. We were at All Star Movies in March of this year, and we're returning to All Star Movies again this August.

Yes this will be our first trip. I get excited every time I see AoA and POP lobby, this morning my son got excited seeing the YouTube review video of AoA but then reality sets in about the rooms. AoA has Ariel theme rooms and suits are very expensive. The money saved can be used to buy toys etc from the stores there.

If we don’t stay there can we go to those resorts and walk around AoA etc?

Yes this will be our first trip. I get excited every time I see AoA and POP lobby, this morning my son got excited seeing the YouTube review video of AoA but then reality sets in about the rooms. AoA has Ariel theme rooms and suits are very expensive. The money saved can be used to buy toys etc from the stores there.

If we don’t stay there can we go to those resorts and walk around AoA etc?
You can walk around and eat at the food court, but you can not use the pool.

I would just keep in mind, that the Swan and Dolphin don't have buses to Epcot or Hollywood Studios so its a 15 min walk and a 20+min walk if you don't take the friendship boats. The boats will be easier on your kids feet but the boats from what I gather are much slower. I hate waiting so that was a sticking point with me when I looked at those resorts. If thats not an issue with you, it might be perfect!

I would just keep in mind, that the Swan and Dolphin don't have buses to Epcot or Hollywood Studios so its a 15 min walk and a 20+min walk if you don't take the friendship boats. The boats will be easier on your kids feet but the boats from what I gather are much slower. I hate waiting so that was a sticking point with me when I looked at those resorts. If thats not an issue with you, it might be perfect!

Honestly the boat is fine and only take like 15 mins from Swan/Dolphin to either park. It's also relaxing as well. It's faster than any busses and comes more often likely.

If you have a Costco membership and are considering Swan/Dolphin, check there before booking. When we priced our trip, they had a great deal for Swan/Dolphin with park hoppers. I have also seen those resorts on Hotwire deals recently.

We love Pop...they have a dedicated bus and they will have the gondola's up and running, hopefully, by November. The food court is closer to more of the rooms than at AOA, but both have a good variety of food choices. The pricing is better at POP, and there are many activities for the kids. We are going to Disneyland in November, first time there, so we are super excited to try something new. But I am taking a solo trip to WDW in Jan/Feb and will be booking POP. I just love it there.

Check on the Boardwalk/Beach Club resort posts but I think roughly 15 mins and the good thing is boats don't get held up as much.

We got a DVC rental with points on this site from someone for less. The Costco deal is pretty good though. We got a 1BR instead of 2 rooms at Swan so do the math if getting a Studio/1Br rental is less.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter