Help me understand using Airalo to its full advantage before I purchase it

peacefrogdog

DIS Veteran
I understand the concept of an e-SIM but want to be sure I do everything properly to guard against getting charged roaming on my current provider (Telus). I've looked through these boards for the answers to the following questions, but some of the options others have mentioned don't appear to be options on my Iphone 13.

1. Once I install Airalo, how do I actually set it to be my data provider while in the US? Others have mentioned being able to select it under "Cellular Plans" in iphone's Settings, but I don't see that heading as an option (unless it's because I haven't purchased Airalo yet?)
2. Once I purchase Airalo and land in the US, do leave the Cellular data toggle on or off?
3. If so, do I leave Roaming On to enable use of data through Airalo? Or off (because it relates to my Telus Sim)
4. If using Airalo for data in the US, if I get a text to my Canadian number (through Telus) (for example, a text from my Disney resort or a Disney restaurant regarding my room or reservation), will I get dinged roaming charges?
5. If using Airalo for data in the US, if I use my Canadian Telus number to call a US number, will i get dinged roaming charges?

Thanks in advance

So go to settings, cellular, you turn off your SIM on the flight, then turn on the travel one. It’s only for data (internet) though, absolutely no texting/calls in or out.

Attachments

• IMG_6440.jpeg
    IMG_6440.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 7
Notice in that screenshot above, it says Cellular Data - for that one, make sure to select your Airalo SIM and that auto-switching is off. Then you will not use Telus.

I leave my Default Voice Line as my cell phone provider so that iMessage still works with my home phone number. (Granted my cell provider is Public Mobile so I do not need to worry about any extra charges. But if you don’t answer the phone, text any green bubble people.. you should be fine)

Notice in that screenshot above, it says Cellular Data - for that one, make sure to select your Airalo SIM and that auto-switching is off. Then you will not use Telus.

I leave my Default Voice Line as my cell phone provider so that iMessage still works with my home phone number. (Granted my cell provider is Public Mobile so I do not need to worry about any extra charges. But if you don’t answer the phone, text any green bubble people.. you should be fine)

My kids have Public Mobile, they actually have a really reasonable temporary US plan, so we usually get it for one phone then use it for any calls we need to make/take!

My kids have Public Mobile, they actually have a really reasonable temporary US plan, so we usually get it for one phone then use it for any calls we need to make/take!
Yes, I now have the US/Canada plan for like $42/mth after my discounts so I’m just keeping that going forward. I have used Airalo many times prior to that for data and just added calling if needed thru PM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter