Help me with Alaska

disneyfool_1202

The countdown has begun!!
I just booked Alaska 7 nights first trip in August as a surprise 60th for my husband which will be seriously the first cruise we have taken since our honeymoon without the kids. We have had a few health scares these past few months and I felt it was time for he and I to just do something he always wanted to do (plus we had enough Disney Vaca Points). So he is finding out at Christmas, but the trip is in August 2 wks after his birthday. Anyways, we have planned a ton of DCL cruises but all out of Florida. I know nothing about Vancouver. Every flight from Boston is the night before arriving at approximately 10/11 pm Pacific time. So we evidently need a hotel.

Do we want to stay at the airport that night (which is probably more expensive) or is there a hotel we can taxi to that late at night closer to the port? Any suggestions? I'm thinking if we taxi to a place closer to port, we can check out in the morning and have them hold our luggage for the morning while we walk around a bit and have lunch then head to the port rather than have our waiting time be at the airport.

For those that have done this cruise, what time are you usually off of the cruise ship and can head back to the airport? And how long a drive is it? I don't know what time to book flights back for and for the flights I'm looking at the earliest afternoon flight is 10pm arriving back in Boston the next morning. So what do we do all day while hauling luggage around?

Then there is the "it's just the two of us so I want to pack light".... do we need toiletries like soap, shampoo, etc.? I completely forget (even though we cruised 2 years ago). I don't mind doing a load of laundry (I usually do at like 5am one day) to economize clothing. I don't even know what type of clothes to pack as we have always sailed to sunny beaches / islands. This is a total new things!

Oh experienced Alaskan visitors- HELP ME! I want to have as much planned before Christmas as I can and pack little hints in a box and see if he can guess what his gifts is. It's from me and the kids.

First have a great cruise, sounds like a nice getaway for you two.

There are tons of hotels choices so you have a lot of work on that front. With out some more details about your preferences any specific guidance is really just a guess.

On the choice to stay near the airport or the port, that is a little easier. The airport is technically in Richmond, just outside the city and there is an easy option to use the train ( https://skytrainmap.com/ ) into the city. Have been there once for work and twice for cruises, I would choose that if possible. As long as you only have one large bag and one personal item (purse/laptop bag/backpack) it is totally doable, if you are packing multiple bags per person its not as good of an option. Take it to City Center station or more preferable the Waterfront station and you have multiple hotels to choose from within a few blocks. The waterfront hotels will likely be the most expensive but all would be an easy walk to access the port in the morning.

We did Uber back to the airport after our cruise this May and were at the airport by 9:30. You could do the train back to the airport but you would be heading away from the city center and traffic should be minimal so probably a 30 min drive. There are many potential issues that can come up with disembarkation but it seems that customs/boarder control is slower getting on the ship compared to getting off the ship in Vancouver.

Happy planning!

Do we want to stay at the airport that night (which is probably more expensive) or is there a hotel we can taxi to that late at night closer to the port? Any suggestions? I'm thinking if we taxi to a place closer to port, we can check out in the morning and have them hold our luggage for the morning while we walk around a bit and have lunch then head to the port rather than have our waiting time be at the airport.
I think the answer to this question depends on what you want to do the next day and how you think you'll feel arriving in the middle of the night on your time zone? There is a hotel inside the airport, it's an easy choice to get off a late flight and just crash here. Wake up refreshed in the morning, drag all your bags downtown (train, taxi, uber, - you choose) and check them in for the cruise. Then if you decide you could walk around the port.

My preferred option would be to take a taxi - that late at night it seems the easiest- and book a hotel along the waterfront. Pan Pacific is directly over the cruise terminal, and my personal choice. Fairmont Waterfront is an easy and decent choice, but watch for Black Friday hotel sales and you may get the Pan Pacific at a good price. Then when I wake up I can enjoy the downtown area until check out, have my bags sent to the ship, and stroll around downtown until it's time for me to board the ship.

For those that have done this cruise, what time are you usually off of the cruise ship and can head back to the airport? And how long a drive is it? I don't know what time to book flights back for and for the flights I'm looking at the earliest afternoon flight is 10pm arriving back in Boston the next morning. So what do we do all day while hauling luggage around?

Usually off the ship and when I'd want to book a flight are two very different times. You can be off the ship as early as 8:00am. But if anything goes wrong and we are delayed getting in I want to know I am not missing a flight. Delays on arrival for debarkation happen. They just do. Rare, yes. I'm not gambling my way home on it. So I would go with the DCL recommendation and not book a flight before 12pm. Check with the hotel you end up booking with, sometimes they will hold your luggage for you on the return journey for the day. Otherwise most cities have luggage hold businesses these days.

Then there is the "it's just the two of us so I want to pack light".... do we need toiletries like soap, shampoo, etc.?
DCL provides shampoo, conditioner, body wash, hand soap, and lotion in the room. You can find a few more items in the locker rooms at the gym/spa. Anything else you need you should pack or plan to buy in Vancouver before boarding - or get in the Alaskan ports a fews days into the cruise.

I completely forget (even though we cruised 2 years ago). I don't mind doing a load of laundry (I usually do at like 5am one day) to economize clothing. I don't even know what type of clothes to pack as we have always sailed to sunny beaches / islands. This is a total new things
Weather is variable. Pack mostly pants, long sleeve t-shirts and a sweatshirt and a moderately warm jacket. Layers are the best choice. Also put in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt or two. I was in Alaska in the summer during a heat wave and regretted not packing shorts on that trip. Rain gear is important, at least a rain jacket and some shoes you don't mind spending a day wet in (crocs, water proof hiking boots, your choice) are essential to not feeling stuck on the ship inside when it rains. And it will likely rain.

Oh experienced Alaskan visitors- HELP ME! I want to have as much planned before Christmas as I can and pack little hints in a box and see if he can guess what his gifts is. It's from me and the kids.
Have a great time. Alaska is awesome.

I just booked Alaska 7 nights first trip in August as a surprise 60th for my husband which will be seriously the first cruise we have taken since our honeymoon without the kids. We have had a few health scares these past few months and I felt it was time for he and I to just do something he always wanted to do (plus we had enough Disney Vaca Points). So he is finding out at Christmas, but the trip is in August 2 wks after his birthday. Anyways, we have planned a ton of DCL cruises but all out of Florida. I know nothing about Vancouver. Every flight from Boston is the night before arriving at approximately 10/11 pm Pacific time. So we evidently need a hotel.

We also took a 7-night cruise to Alaska with Disney in August, just a few months ago.

We stayed at a hotel near the cruise terminal. The trains run directly from the airport to Waterfront Station and our hotel was a three-minute walk from there. The trains didn't have special racks for luggage, unfortunately, but they weren't crowded, so there was enough room to just leave our suitcases standing on the floor while we held them from our seats. Be aware that most of the journey is inside of a tunnel and that your ears might feel some discomfort. Mine did! Alternatively, there are taxis at the airport that can get you to whatever hotel you choose. In addition to the two waterfront hotels already mentioned, Delta Suites (on the corner of Seymour and W Hastings) is also very nice. The walk to the port is a bit longer, but the hotel will gladly call you a taxi.

We also flew from BOS and I didn't like the idea of arriving so late right before the cruise. If that flight was cancelled for any reason, then there wouldn't be a backup flight to get us there before the ship departed. So, we flew in on Saturday night and enjoyed Vancouver on Sunday before boarding the ship on Monday. It was an extra hotel night, but the day in Vancouver was fantastic. If your budget allows for it, then I'd recommend the extra night.

We didn't get off the ship until about 9:30am, but that was by choice. They cleared us to leave much earlier. Faced with the same dilemma as you, we planned to go back to our hotel for one more night in Vancouver. My thinking was that doing this would give us a place to store luggage, we could sleep a bit later on Tuesday morning so that we weren't quite as tired when we took the overnight flight home, and we'd get two more days in Vancouver for the cost of one hotel night. If your budget allows this and if you're interested in Vancouver, then I'd recommend this.

The only problem we faced was that our last day didn't feel like a last day. We were out exploring Stanley Park's hiking trails and it felt like just another day of vacation! At about 3pm, we decided that we wanted a few more nights in Vancouver and so we booked another reservation at the hotel and changed our flights. Apparently, Delta Airlines has (had?) earlier afternoon flights back to BOS on Fridays! There was a stop, unfortunately, but we departed at 12:50pm Vancouver time and ultimately landed at 11:56pm Boston time. That felt much more like a last day and we didn't have to deal with an overnight flight. I don't know if this flight is available on Mondays or Tuesdays, though. I wasn't able to find it for our trip a few months ago.

There are places to store luggage at the airport. I suppose that you could head there after debarking, store your stuff, and then head back into town for the day. There might be other places to store luggage, too. Some hotels might do this for you if you arrange it before the cruise.

Then there is the "it's just the two of us so I want to pack light".... do we need toiletries like soap, shampoo, etc.? I completely forget (even though we cruised 2 years ago). I don't mind doing a load of laundry (I usually do at like 5am one day) to economize clothing. I don't even know what type of clothes to pack as we have always sailed to sunny beaches / islands. This is a total new things!

Disney provides shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and hand soap. You'll need to provide everything else. Self-service laundry is available and you can buy soap and fabric softener onboard, but it's scented, so you'll need to provide your own if you use scent-free detergent and softener. Disney has their expensive laundry service, too.

You'll want to pack mostly pants rather than shorts or skirts and you'll want a few different layers of warmth. We each took a light hooded sweatshirt, a heavier hooded sweatshirt, and a rain jacket. That was sufficient for cold days, cool days, warm days, and rainy days. You'll want a pair of waterproof shoes, too. We took our hiking boots with us for rainy days.

On our first day in Vancouver, the city set a heat record and it was very warm (over 80F). Other days in Vancouver were in the 60s and low 70s. In Alaska, the high temperatures were in the high 50s to low 60s. If you're on the ship, then it's just as warm inside as always. Outside is cold, though, especially at night. Skagway is very windy, especially later in the day. Glacier day on the ship tends to be very cold because, well, you're in a place with floating ice all around. That day was also rainy for us, which made it colder. I was glad to have two hoodies and a rain jacket, plus warm wool socks with my boots. Disney sells Helly Hansen jackets onboard that seemed to be popular, too, but you can't know if they'll have your sizes available and they're fairly expensive for what they are.

Depending on what sorts of excursions interest you, you might also consider packing binoculars, cameras, hiking boots/shoes, water bottles, and other stuff like that. There's a lot to see outside in Alaska!

Last edited:

I'd also suggest arriving a little earlier in Vancouver. First of all Vancouver is such a great city, it's worth spending a bit of time exploring! We live here and flying to the east coast for cruises, I have learned to fly in 2 days early if I can.

Hotels: tons in Vancouver. Closest to the port are Pan Pacific and Fairmont Waterfront, but you really don't NEED to be so close. Others that you can look into downtown: Rosewood Hotel Georgia, Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, Wedgewood Hotel, Coast Coal Harbour, Marriott Pinnacle, Sheraton Wall Centre, St. Regis. These are all either walking distance to the port or a short Uber/cab ride. Staying in Richmond gives you much cheaper options. The River Rock is really nice and on the Canada Line. We have stayed at the Westin Wall Centre in Richmond and it's a really nice hotel.

The port of Vancouver is utter chaos, I really don't love boarding there. It's this strange circular route to drop off your luggage and check in if you aren't dropped off at the level of the parking lot where the luggage is received. Plus of course a ton of people are getting off cruises at the same time you're getting on, so there are bottlenecks. Such a pain.

Vancouver can definitely be warm in the summer. We have done Alaska I think something like 5x and the weather is usually some variation of cloudy/rainy or partial sun but cool. Layers are important.

If you are willing to take the Canada Line (public transport/subway) back to the airport, you can do self-walkoff and make it to the airport in about 20-30 minutes, it's very efficient.

I would try to fly in a day or two earlier than the day before so that A) you can get used to the time shift and B) you have a safety net for delays/cancellations.

These days, having a buffer to allow for flight delays and cancellations is more important. If you have a late arrival and the next flight (if seats available) can’t get you to the port in time, it is so sad - especially when celebrating a “second honeymoon” + birthday cruise.

If you need to take the flight that arrives late the night before cruising, I think I would stay near the airport. Just get to the room and be done with it. If you are early morning people who would take advantage of a city hotel to go out and do a bit of sightseeing before boarding, then I would suggest checking out your options near the port. Think about how you feel after a long day/flight. When we travel, there is not a set pattern.

Check out the train system from the airport. It’s inexpensive, clean, and easy to use. It might even be easier without the kids, as you don’t have to hold their hands or carry their luggage.

Luggage and clothing - you’ve heard it already - pack to dress in layers. When you start in the morning, it can be chilly or cold and then warm up to tees and shorts, depending on sun, wind, your own temperature, whether it’s a water or glacier activity.

Always be prepared for rain in SE Alaska. Ketchikan is one of the wettest cities in the US. And you may end up in a pool or hot tub. We used the pool in late May (it is heated). And I find all cruise ships to be in the cold side when I am dining or doing shipboard activities.

While you may want a nice outfit for a night at Palo (if available) - which you can wear again to dinner, AK cruises can be more casual than others. Some if that is due to port times and excursions running into the dinner hour.

I have never been hot in AK; if you are used to Caribbean or Med destinations, this will be comparatively cool; but again, can be shorts and tees. For me, layering Means bring a substantial coat (not just a fleece jacket). I found a puff jacket is great for travel and warmth. It compresses nicely for packing. Hat, gloves, and scarf are easy to carry and make a big difference.

Love having self-serve laundry, too. $3 wash or dry. No quarters needed anymore. Now you use you room card. I bring detergent pods; otherwise it’s $3 for Tide (scented) in a box.

Will you put an AK or DCL ornament On the Christmas tree and have him “find” it on Dec 25?

Don‘t forget to look for Black Friday sales on things like binoculars (we have small ones we take to AK cruises) or outerwear. You also have the benefit of end of season coats next spring.

I find staying over after a cruise to catch an early morning flight to be less stressful, a good time to sightsee, and typically lower price tickets and more seat options.

Because the port is right in the middle of the city, the hotel pricing is actually the opposite. Staying close to the port in downtown is more expensive than the airport hotel. So if you're not getting there until late the night before, I would just go with the airport. But what I would suggest even more is flying in an extra day early and having a full day in the city. It will also help you adjust for the time zones. There are two Fairmonts right across from the cruise port which are very nice but pricey. If you want the ultimate convenience, then you can also stay in the Pan Pacific, which is literally in the same building as the cruise port. For something cheaper, there are BnBs towards the west end of the city.

You can usually depart the cruise as early as 6:30 am if you'd like to bring your own bags, or as late as 9 am if you aren't in a hurry. If you do a transfer or taxi to the airport, then the earliest I would schedule a flight for is 11 am, 12 noon if you take the train.

Disney will have shampoo and body wash in your bathroom. It will be fine for normal guy hair, but you may want to bring your own conditioner. You can bring your own laundry detergent or buy a single use box on the ship for a dollar or two (I forget the price, but it's cheap). Do bring sunscreen, face moisturizer, toothbrush and toothpaste, and any over the counter medicines you might need.

For clothing, I would pack a mix of t-shirts, long sleeve shirts, sweaters, and a waterproof coat to go on top of everything. August won't be too cold, but it rains a lot in Alaska. Things like hats and gloves are not needed unless you're actually walking on a glacier as part of an excursion. Jeans will be good for any activities, you probably won't need shorts. It's definitely possible to do carry-on.

You can usually depart the cruise as early as 6:30 am if you'd like to bring your own bags, or as late as 9 am if you aren't in a hurry. If you do a transfer or taxi to the airport, then the earliest I would schedule a flight for is 11 am, 12 noon if you take the train.
I can't imagine why the train would add an extra hour to travel time, though. It's on a set schedule and doesn't have to worry about rush hour traffic in the city. If anything, it's probably faster than a taxi.

I can't imagine why the train would add an extra hour to travel time, though. It's on a set schedule and doesn't have to worry about rush hour traffic in the city. If anything, it's probably faster than a taxi.
The times are similar depending on traffic, since the train is not an express to the airport. But trains can get delayed or canceled, so I would build in extra time.

We are Boston are residents. Flying out we chose to fly into Seattle-stop in Denver, as we had points. And then train up from Seattle to Vancouver. it was a beautiful trip, if you have the time. We toured Seattle and it was a great place to land for a few days. But otherwise I would suggest flying into Vancouver two days early. It is a long way from Boston and a big trip. You want plenty of time to arrive and settle. Besides, Vancouver is such an amazing city. You will want to explore-especially Stanley Park. We stayed at the budget busting Pacific Rim- but it was amazing and one of my favorite parts of the trip. There are so many hotels, and as others have mentioned, a bit out of the port area, things get less expensive.

As far as flying home, all we could find back to Boston is red eye flights on the same day as disembarkation. We did not want that, so we chose to spend one additional day in Vancouver touring-luggage stored with a service, and spent the night at the airport hotel. It is a really nice hotel with great food options. We had a runway room, which my son loved. Flight out, first thing in the morning got us back to Boston around 5pm.

We also cruised the beginning of August. Weather variable. It rained sometimes-the true Alaskan experience. But we were prepared with rain gear and did not miss a beat. It was also sunny, and warm sometimes. Be prepared with a bit of everything. We also did laundry on the ship.

Alaska is so far from Boston, but I fell in love. I can't wait to get back there some day. What a great surprise for your husband. Enjoy!

Look into staying at the Pan Pacific in Vancouver, it is about a block and a half from the train which goes straight to the airport and it is connected to the cruise terminal. In fact, their Bell Services will take your luggage to the cruise terminal and you don't have to mess with it.

Attachments

• IMG_7744.JPG
    IMG_7744.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7754.JPG
    IMG_7754.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 8
We did a Alaska cruise this past August and came in from the East Coast on a late night flight that got in around 11 pm. I agree with what everyone else is saying about flying in early to give yourself a "buffer" day in Vancouver. It's a nice city to explore, and just in case something goes wrong with your flight, you have time.

The night we arrived we stayed at the Fairmount in the airport. It's expensive, but so worth it. You get off the plane, grab your bags, and in your room quickly without worrying about other transportation late at night when you're already tired. It's a gorgeous hotel too. We transferred to the Pan Pacific the next day, and while we had some issues and it's over priced, it's super convenient to the port, and they take your bags for you to put on the ship.

As far as packing...I had so much trouble packing for this trip because the weather is so unpredictable. We had gorgeous sunny weather the whole time in Alaska, which is not normal! You'll want waterproof hiking shoes for sure. As far as layers, it depends on how easily you get cold. I get cold easily, so I packed a thick sherpa lined sweatshirt for myself, a hat and gloves for glacier day and I was good. Definitely bring binoculars as well.

Hope you have an amazing trip!

We sailed this past summer on DCL's last cruise of the Alaska season. We arrived a few days early and stayed at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport, using it as our base to explore the city. After the cruise, we stayed another two nights at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport (originally planned to be one, but our return flight was canceled shortly after we arrived in Vancouver and our new return flight was the following day, so one extra night; fortunately the hotel was able to extend our stay one more night AND they gave us the same rate we had booked the original night at, even though it was half the current rack rate!!).

We found the Fairmont Vancouver Airport to be a great location to be out of. Convenient for arriving and departing the airport as it is actually IN the airport (in the US departures area, but a reasonably short walk from the International and Canadian departures) -- it is all one very large building.

It was also easy access to Skytrain for public transit access to downtown or the rest of the city, and to car rentals. Also, taxis could be picked up at from the hotel. And, we did a return day trip to Whistler, using the YVR Whistler SkyLynx which is picks up and drops off at the airport.

The airport has a nice food court that is before security in the domestics departure area, and the hotel has an excellent restaurant and lounge. The A&W in the food court was open 24/7.

We booked the Fairmont directly with the hotel (online) over a year out the first day it was possible to book for our dates. This gave us an exceptionally low rate; with in a few months the going rate was hundreds more and by the time we traveled the rack rate was twice as much.

We took DCL transfers to and from the port. We found embarkation morning pretty busy: they picked up our luggage at about 8 am from our room and then we had to go down to the lobby area to check in with DCL. Then we went and grabbed some food at the food court and brought it back to our room to eat and then check out of the hotel and came back to DCL's spot at a designated time (I am going to say around 10 ?) to do a second quick checkin and then wait a bit and then board the bus to the port. The bus trip was maybe 45 minutes +/- and then you were at the port and being funneled off and in and checking in and customs and then boarding the ship -- and that was basically just a long continuous movement (with some lines, but no sitting around).

Whatever hotel you choose, I recommend booking ASAP with a cancelable rate that does not require a deposit. Then keep checking regularly for sales that will offer a discounted rate, you may get lucky and find something cheaper. Also, make sure you sign up for the free hotel loyalty club as they will also offer discounts and special rates.

I STRONGLY recommend arriving a few days early (this also buys you a "buffer" before your cruise should you run into flight problems, so you don't miss the cruise) or leaving a few days after the cruise so you can spend some time exploring Vancouver. It is a beautiful city and there some amazing things to see and do. Some of the things we visited: Capilano Suspension Bridge; Stanley Park; Whistler (as a day trip, it is a few hours drive away).

For clothing: think layers. We went in September and the temperatures then ranged from 1 C (34 F) to 15 C (59 F). We had LOTS of rain and one day precipition that was on the verge of being sleet/snow/ice pellets (it was a little confused about what it was). For the coldest days, I had a Lands End packable waterproof rain jacket as my outer layer, an LLBean PrimaLoft Packaway Hooded Jacket (this is NOT waterproof) as my insulating layer, an Old Navy Oversized Full-Zip Hoodie OR a Coolibar Men's LumaLeo Zip-Up Hoodie UPF 50+ (I prefer the men's cut to the women's cut) (I alternated which one I wore) as an additional layer, and then a 3/4 sleeve tshirt and an undershirt. For pants I wore LL Bean Perfect Fit pants, but I had one pair of Ex-Officio long johns (no longer made) (to go under pants) and a pair of Columbia rain pants (to put over pants) if needed - both almost got used but in the end I didn't; my sister did use her rain pants on our Skagway day. The undershirt tshirt and pants were my core layers ever day, and then I added one or more of sweatshirt, hooded jackaet and raincoat as needed according to the weather/forecast. On one day for example I started out with sweatshirt and raincoat but halfway through the day was getting cold so added the hooded jacket as well. On glacier day it was all the layers when up on deck in the rain !

The advantage of layers is you can take off or put on what you need. The advantage of having PACKABLE BY DESIGN layers for the outer two is each packed down into one of its pockets and readily smushed into my day pack backpack. It made it really easy to take a layer off, pack it up and put it into the backpack if not needed, or take it out if needed. Also, we found in the ship was often cool, so we pretty much always wore the sweatshirt in the ship.

Also, a lightweight scarf, gloves, and something for your ears (hat or earband) if you don't want to wear a hood every time you are out in the cold/wind. You don't need heavy duty winter gear, but we found it got quite chilly at times on deck between the outdoor temp and the wind -- pretty sure at some points the windchill brought the temperature to close to or even below freezing.

Having good, comfortable, broken in, footwear is essential. At least one pair of footwear needs to be waterproof -- you may get lucky and get sunny days every day but there is a very good chance you will have some rainy days. Make sure the footwear is appropriate for your acitivites, too. I had a pair of New Balance walking shoes, a pair of waterproof walking shoes with Vibram soles also suitable for light trails, and a pair of Crocs for indoor use.

Attire is really casual. We did not dress up for any of the dinners, just wore what we had worn for the day, and we were not out of place at all.

We've done 2 Alaskan cruises, both in June. The weather was mid 50 both times. We were lucky and only had light rain for about 15 mins in Ketchikan on one cruise. Since you are from Boston, you probably won't find it that cold. We're from Ohio and wore short sleeve tops, jeans, and light weight waterproof jackets. We brought heavy jackets but didn't need them. It was colder on glacier day so I wore a sweatshirt, but I didn't need a heavy coat. We had friends from Florida who dressed in a lot of layers and heavy coats. They aren't used to cold weather though. Look at the average temps for the port cities in Aug and dress like you would in that temp. I brought a couple of pairs of shorts but didn't need them. To save luggage space I had short sleeve tops for each day and 2 sweatshirts. Didn't need the sweatshirts much so just used the same one for several days as needed. We brought waterproof pants for rafting and canoeing excursions but didn't need them otherwise. We went hiking in a rainforest. I brought bug repellent wipes. The mosquitoes were huge and everywhere in the forest. So if you go hiking take repellent. In the cities we never saw any mosquitoes. Wipes are easier to pack than spray. Alaska is beautiful. Hope you have wonderful cruise.

Happy belated birthday to your husband! I'm sure he was thrilled with his surprise! Bon Voyage for a fantastic August cruise! :)

Vancouverite here so some suggestions:

If your budget and time allows, I suggest having "2" buffer days before your cruise start and "1" buffer day after your cruise end. Less stress and fear of being late for your cruise departure and flight home, respectively.

Vancouver is beautiful ... especially downtown Vancouver in August where the cruise ships are docked. You will most definitely be awed by the scenery when you walk along the pathways near Pan Pacific. Blue water. Mountains. You will even see float planes take off in the harbour. You won't regret having buffer days!

You advised that every flight from Boston doesn't arrive until 10:00 or 11:00 pm Pacific Time.
Therefore, I suggest the following:

1) 1st night (Arrival night): stay at Fairmont Vancouver Airport (it's located within the Vancouver International Airport on top of USA Departures and Arrivals terminal). For something different, request a "Runway View" room. Hopefully, I'm allowed to attach links and am not violating any rules ... here's a link giving an overview of the Fairmont Vancouver Airport:

2) 2nd night: stay Downtown Vancouver. Pan Pacific is directly on top of the cruise port. Fairmont Waterfront is directly across from the cruise port. These 2 hotels are the 2 closest hotels to the cruise terminal. Fairmont Pacific Rim is also close by but it's several more blocks of walking.

3) To save money, as others have suggested, take the Canada Line from Vancouver International Airport to Downtown Vancouver (Waterfront Canada Line Station). Since you intend to pack light, this should be doable.

See attached link. It's about a 7 minute walk from Waterfront Canada Line Station to Pan Pacific / Fairmont Waterfront / Cruise Terminal area.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Pan...2m2!1d-123.1143046!2d49.2851193!3e2?entry=ttu

4) See attached link for Canada Line Schedule (Vancouver's "Skytrain" transportation system) (refer to the information under the Canada Line section):

https://www.translink.ca/schedules-and-maps/skytrain#:~:text=Expo Line connects Downtown Vancouver,(YVR), and Richmond.

5) Pan Pacific / Fairmont Waterfront / Cruise Terminal area: you are walking distance to Gastown and the lovely sea wall walk into Stanley Park. There are also beautiful walking areas outside the Pan Pacific (where the cruise ships dock) and also a few blocks away at Fairmont Pacific Rim / Vancouver Convention Area. See attached link.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Pan+Pacific+Vancouver,+999+Canada+Pl+#300,+Vancouver,+BC+V6C+3B5/Fairmont+Pacific+Rim,+Canada+Place,+Vancouver,+BC/@49.2879312,-123.1165858,262m/data=!3m3!1e3!4b1!5s0x5486718307586193:0x649c47ee41a2ea28!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x54867182daa3cfd7:0x511bd0c9c1bbc59e!2m2!1d-123.1134453!2d49.2878274!1m5!1m1!1s0x5486718308f23283:0x6643d8bcbabc7a90!2m2!1d-123.1166887!2d49.288234!3e2?entry=ttu

6) Check directly with the hotels for rates. You might get better rates. Also, book cancellable rates so you have option to cancel and re-book in case you find a better rate later.

7) For other Vancouver hotel ideas, see attached link. Please note that I am NOT recommending any hotels on the attached link. However, if you select the "hotels" tab (top right), you will see a selection of 44 Downtown Vancouver hotels. I thought this list may be useful for you. There are also some offers in the "offers" tab. However, I have never used this site so I am not familiar with how this site works. The only reason I am advising the link (see below) is because I think the list of other Vancouver hotels may be useful in your hotel search. Again, I suggest you check directly with the hotel to see if the hotel can offer better rates by booking directly with them.

https://www.stayvancouverhotels.com/hotel.php

8) See attached link. Port of Vancouver provides information regarding luggage storage (expand the Passenger Services section):

https://www.portvancouver.com/cruise/passenger-information/

9) Pan Pacific Luggage Storage: I read online that, even for non-guests, Pan Pacific might also store your luggage for a fee. Suggest you check directly with Pan Pacific (and also the Fairmont Waterfront hotel) if they provide this service since they are so close to the cruise terminal.

10) Pan Pacific Guest Luggage: I agree with other poster ... for guests staying at Pan Pacific, I believe their bell services can take your luggage directly to the cruise terminal. I don't believe there's an actual set charge for this service so please tip your attendant accordingly. It's best to confirm directly with Pan Pacific should you wish this service.

11) Departure Day: the most economical, more direct and less stressful way to get to Vancouver International Airport is perhaps by Canada Line (Vancouver's Skytrain transportation system) to Vancouver International Airport. I have no idea of taxi or uber costs. However, you advised that you're considering a 10:00 pm return flight home. I believe you need to arrive at the airport at least 3 hours prior for an USA flight. Therefore, you don't want to risk being stuck in after work traffic driving to the airport ... traffic congestion enroute to Richmond (where the airport is located) can be bad.

12) Cruise Departure Day (Luggage): Someone posted online that they dropped off their luggage at the cruise terminal, left and had lunch before returning later in the day to check-in and board their cruise ship (a non-Disney cruise line). They didn't want to deal with the super long lines at Vancouver Cruise Terminal. This might be an option for you if you are staying at another hotel farther away from the cruise terminal. Should you wish to spend a bit of time exploring downtown Vancouver on your cruise departure day, perhaps you may be able to drop off your luggage at the cruise terminal so you won't need to drag around your luggage. Please confirm with the Port of Vancouver (???) to ensure that this is a possibility.

13) More Information about Alaska Cruises: I suggest checking out other cruise forums. Filter by category that you're interested in once you are on the Forum home page (eg. Ports of Call: Alaska). I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention another Forum's name here so here are some "hints" in finding this forum. It's about "cruise" and written by "critic". It's the "forum" section you should check out.

Sorry. A lot of information but I hope the above helps you plan a wonderful 2nd honeymoon! Take care and have fun! :love:

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention another Forum's name here so here are some "hints" in finding this forum.
Links to Cruise Critic forums are allowed!

PS if you’re not sure about a link, enter it into your post and then click the magnifying glass and page icon in the upper right, to preview your post. If the link is banned, it will be obvious in the preview, so you can click to go back to your post and remove the link.

Ya know- I have never looked at cruise critic! I have used these boards for EVERYTHING!
I haven't been impressed with CC the two times that I've tried to use it. This board is better. Unfortunately, this board doesn't cover most things that aren't Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter