• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help me with my garage sale, PLEASE!

dbond

DIS Veteran
OK, long story short. DH has been job hunting since Febuary. We had a trip to WDW planned for this summer, plane tickets already purchased, ressies made with DVC pts., all of this in place before he lost his job. DH says we can go if I can earn the money for the park tickets. So, homemaker that I am, I decided that a garage sale is in order. I cleaned out all of the closets, the attic, the garage, I have a pile of stuff. In fact, I have so much stuff I'm overwhelmed. I don't know where to start, how to organize all this stuff, how much to price it, I thought this would be easy. Are there any garage sale experts out there that help me?

I actually just read This Thread on the Budget Board. The second post on the thread is a GREAT how to resource for yard/garage sales. Happy reading!!!! and Happy Selling!!!!!

Good Luck

Debbie

Oh my, that is great garage sale advice. Looks like I have my work cut out for me. Guess I better get to it. :eek: THANKS!

I have not read the listed link but I have had many successful sales. A few tips:

1) Hang up as much as you can. People don't like to look through piles of clothes and piles are constantly messed up. Hanging them with size indicators makes it easier for both you and your customer. I lucked into getting a circle rack when a local store went out of business. I also have a shower rod that is hung from the garage rafters for more hanging room.

2) Make sure the clothes look nice. I always thow a load into the dryer with a wet washcloth to get the wrinkles out which is all it takes.

3) Have a neat and clean sale. I always have compliments on how nice everything looks and if the garage is clean then they are more likely to stop. I also buy inexpensive white plastic table covering that comes on a roll just to make all the tables look clean. One roll lasts me quite a few sales.

4)The more you can spread things out the better. Again you don't want people to have to dig to see things. I put many tables around the perimiter of the inside of my garage and then put two tables down the middle. It allows everyone plenty of room to walk around and be comfortable.

5)Put things on the driveway. It is the first thing that attracts people driving by. I always put at least one table outside. Then all the bigger things are also put out.

6)Advertise, advertise, advertise. Certainly placing an ad should be done but also be sure to put out nice big signs (if allowed in your community) to make sure that everyone knows how to find you. There is nothing worse then to invest all the time putting it together only to skimp on the signs and not get the business you hoped for. One tip-if you live in an area that prohibits signs you can get creative. Find a major street near your home that you are allowed to park on. Put a huge message on the windows of your car either with signs or something washable stating where your sale is.

It is so satisfying after the sale counting up the money you make and it also gives you more room. I am having my 5th sale Friday as a matter of fact and the garage is almost ready. There is always some last minute details though. Good luck :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter