Help me with tipping

You can tip any time, it can be in cash, but it doesn't have to be. You can adjust your gratuities at Guest Services too where you can add on and it will just all be added to your card at the end of the cruise. DCL will also leave envelopes for you with little slips of paper for the last day or two of the cruise where you can add cash if you want, etc.
Oh great, thanks!

This is all so much easier on Virgin Voyages where all gratuities are included up front in the fare, even on bar drinks, etc…

They pay the crew a higher wage, so they don’t have to rely on tips. I think this was one of the things Branson specified when the line was formed…

So we need to leave at least that much in cash per day? It’s a good thing I took out a lot of money today, lol
You do not need to do this in cash. This amount is the automatic gratuity and will be charged to your room. At the end of the trip, you'll get little slips with the paid amount on them and envelopes to give them to the cast members. You can then either add more through guest services (added to your account) or you can add cash to the envelopes.

I understand that it's $1/item for room service - easy enough
At least $1/bag to porters
Given inflation, I wouldn't just tip porters $1 per bag or room service deliverers $1 per item. One dollar is almost nothing these days.

I would tip porters $2-3 dollars per bag at least, and for room service, I wouldn't tip less than $3 for delivering something to the stateroom. I'd focus more on the overall tip than the number of items, for room service.

The porters have to be tipped in cash, but you can tip room service deliverers via your ship account. They'll give you a receipt to sign and you can write the tip on it.

Last edited:
This is all so much easier on Virgin Voyages where all gratuities are included up front in the fare, even on bar drinks, etc…

They pay the crew a higher wage, so they don’t have to rely on tips. I think this was one of the things Branson specified when the line was formed…
That’s brilliant ! How was the Virgin cruise?

You do not need to do this in cash. This amount is the automatic gratuity and will be charged to your room. At the end of the trip, you'll get little slips with the paid amount on them and envelopes to give them to the cast members. You can then either add more through guest services (added to your account) or you can add cash to the envelopes.
Oh great, thanks! I was starting to sweat a bit, lol…

Oh great, thanks! I was starting to sweat a bit, lol…
I think you're in good shape. We've never used cash for anything other than a few dollars to porters for luggage and a few dollars for room service delivery once or twice!

So we need to leave at least that much in cash per day? It’s a good thing I took out a lot of money today, lol

Thanks!
No you don't leave $14.50 each day in cash for your room host....it is already factored in the auto gratuity and will be added to onboard account...just like for the Head Server, Server and Assistant Server. If you wanted to give them more you can but you don't have too.

You can opt to prepay the auto gratuity for the four main tipped positions in advance of your cruise by calling DCL or your travel agent.

No you don't leave $14.50 each day in cash for your room host....it is already factored in the auto gratuity and will be added to onboard account...just like for the Head Server, Server and Assistant Server. If you wanted to give them more you can but you don't have too.

You can opt to prepay the auto gratuity for the four main tipped positions in advance of your cruise by calling DCL or your travel agent.
Thank you!!!!

The CM's that I have gotten to know well over the years, very much prefer the additional gratuity paid in CASH (US Dollars). Disney even has a "cashier" available to CM's where they can exchange small denomination bills for $100 bills. The CM's will also know who exactly paid the additional gratuity when you give it to them directly, which can be beneficial if you are a frequent cruiser.

We will also tip the wait-staff when we eat lunch in the MDR - usually $5.00.

We give CM's their additional gratuities on the second-to-last night of the cruise - so if for some reason we miss anyone, we can find them on the last night of the cruise. Another reason to give these gratuities prior to debarkation day is that the CM might also be departing the ship that day and may not receive the money if they depart the ship early.

The CM's that I have gotten to know well over the years, very much prefer the additional gratuity paid in CASH (US Dollars). Disney even has a "cashier" available to CM's where they can exchange small denomination bills for $100 bills. The CM's will also know who exactly paid the additional gratuity when you give it to them directly, which can be beneficial if you are a frequent cruiser.

We will also tip the wait-staff when we eat lunch in the MDR - usually $5.00.

We give CM's their additional gratuities on the second-to-last night of the cruise - so if for some reason we miss anyone, we can find them on the last night of the cruise. Another reason to give these gratuities prior to debarkation day is that the CM might also be departing the ship that day and may not receive the money if they depart the ship early.
Thanks for the info! That last point is great - I’ll make sure to do that; I don’t want to miss any CMs…

Thanks!
No. DCL has a recommended daily amount, $14.50 per day, for tips. I posted earlier in this thread who's included in that. you can either prepay that (before your cruise); otherwise, it will be added to your onboard account. If you want to tip more than that recommended amount, you can either leave cash at the end of the cruise or go to guest services and ask them to increase the amount you want to tip. It's broken down by cast member so you can adjust amounts individually.

The only thing I would say you need cash for for tipping is luggage porters at port and room service. Everything else can be done electronically.

No. DCL has a recommended daily amount, $14.50 per day, for tips. I posted earlier in this thread who's included in that. you can either prepay that (before your cruise); otherwise, it will be added to your onboard account. If you want to tip more than that recommended amount, you can either leave cash at the end of the cruise or go to guest services and ask them to increase the amount you want to tip. It's broken down by cast member so you can adjust amounts individually.

The only thing I would say you need cash for for tipping is luggage porters at port and room service. Everything else can be done electronically.
Thank you!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter