Help! My daughter's earring backing is stuck in her ear

Interestingly my daughter went through something similar two nights ago. She got a second phase Erving about 5 months ago. The earrings are small gold balls. She woke up and the ball had gone all the way inside her lobe and her lobe was red, swollen and infected!:sad: She was in a tone of pain and we at WDW. She put a warm compress on it and pushed it back out the front. It hurt like heck she Sid. We cleaned it really well and put antibiotic ointment on iT.

Oops just noticed this was old!!

And yet another zombie revival by a first time poster. I rather imagine the original poster solved the problem by now.

As well as the posters who resurrected the thread in 2011 and 2012.
Did you even read their reply?

They were actually asking for help and advice. Which assuming the Op and the others did get it fixed would be super helpful to answer their questions.

Did you even read their reply?

They were actually asking for help and advice. Which assuming the Op and the others did get it fixed would be super helpful to answer their questions.
I have to wonder if they even read the thread before asking. There were many suggestions in the original thread as to how to handle it. My first thought was - why not see a doctor? I wouldn't want myself or anyone else just poking around in there to dislodge a foreign object, that's a doctor's job.

I was wearing earrings and the metal clip that goes in front of the plastic plug got shoved into my ear for a few days until I just found out about it, since I have long nails I used them to dig out the metal clip, now I have a wound to prove it.

In fairness to new members, though, we need to make up our minds.

If they ask a question without using the search feature, we make snide comments. If they use the search feature and unearth an old thread, we make fun of the zombie thread.

I guess that's the advantage of being old farts on the DIS -- we CAN have it both ways!

View attachment 576294

In fairness to new members, though, we need to make up our minds.

If they ask a question without using the search feature, we make snide comments. If they use the search feature and unearth an old thread, we make fun of the zombie thread.

I guess that's the advantage of being old farts on the DIS -- we CAN have it both ways!

But..if they joined just today, why would someone use the search feature on a DIS board, to look up stuff like this?? What prompts someone to join a board like this, just to post on a thread that is about 13 years old :confused3

But..if they joined just today, why would someone use the search feature on a DIS board, to look up stuff like this?? What prompts someone to join a board like this, just to post on a thread that is about 13 years old :confused3
I don't know. Maybe they've been lurking for a long time and had read some of the "Did you use the search before asking?" comments.

It could also be some longtime member who created a new account to troll a bit...

Last edited:
More likely they googled the problem. Because The DIS is not a small site it gets bumped up in the search results. The people looking for an answer do not necessarily see it as a Disney board.

It is how the popcorn problem thread pops up now and again.

I don't blame them , just looking back and seeing old thread are cute

I don't blame them , just looking back and seeing old thread are cute
I think also if some people do not have ad block I do believe if I remember right old threads pop up at the bottom of the threads as well. And new people don't know to look at the dates. To me it is no big deal I just move on.

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but my 16 year old son is in this situation. He got his ears pierced 2 months ago. He had them done at a tattoo parlor and was told to keep the starter earrings in for 6 weeks. No problems with infection or anything. At 6 weeks, he put in some new ones with butterfly backs, but when we were on vacation in Disneyland last week, we discovered that the butterfly backs were embedded in in his earlobes! :faint: I didn't realize this was a thing until I Googled it. Anyhow, no infection, but we need to get these out sooner rather than later. I HIGHLY doubt our pediatrician's office is competent enough, so what kind of doctor would y'all suggest, especially since it's not an emergency? I want say a dermatologist since they probably "cut" every day, but I'm reading an ENT (which I would think an ENT deals more with the inner ear, but what do I know). I could take him to a plastic surgeon, but I'd rather pay a standard copay than out of pocket. Thoughts?

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but my 16 year old son is in this situation. He got his ears pierced 2 months ago. He had them done at a tattoo parlor and was told to keep the starter earrings in for 6 weeks. No problems with infection or anything. At 6 weeks, he put in some new ones with butterfly backs, but when we were on vacation in Disneyland last week, we discovered that the butterfly backs were embedded in in his earlobes! :faint: I didn't realize this was a thing until I Googled it. Anyhow, no infection, but we need to get these out sooner rather than later. I HIGHLY doubt our pediatrician's office is competent enough, so what kind of doctor would y'all suggest, especially since it's not an emergency? I want say a dermatologist since they probably "cut" every day, but I'm reading an ENT (which I would think an ENT deals more with the inner ear, but what do I know). I could take him to a plastic surgeon, but I'd rather pay a standard copay than out of pocket. Thoughts?
Call his usual Dr and ask if they can help first. If they can't ask for a suggestion of a provider who might be able to help.

I commented on this thread on the first round, but our pediatrician told us to go to the ER so it could be numbed up well for removal. Eta since the original thread is so old, I’m guessing any urgent care will do, they can numb it up there.

Call his usual Dr and ask if they can help first. If they can't ask for a suggestion of a provider who might be able to help.

I commented on this thread on the first round, but our pediatrician told us to go to the ER so it could be numbed up well for removal. Eta since the original thread is so old, I’m guessing any urgent care will do, they can numb it up there.

I called the pediatrician's office and they said they could do it so he's supposed to have it done on Friday. I tried calling the ENT, too, but they couldn't see him for a month, and while they're not infected now, they could be by then. The dermatologist's office never got back to me.

I visit an ENT regularly because I have vestibular disease; they normally don't deal with earlobe-only issues; they usually recommend a dermatologist for anything like that. It does need to be numbed first, so as the PP advised, I'd recommend an urgent care if the peds office can't manage it for you.
(That is, if you don't feel comfortable just using a lidocaine numbing cream on it and pushing them back yourself. You still can't take the earrings out for more than a short time, though; so he'll have to keep some in and go back to turning them while any bleeding from pushing the backs out heals up. I'd add an earring lifter to the back and put antibiotic cream on them for a couple of days, provided there isn't any infection or lasting swelling, which would send you to the peds.)

In future, you might try using flat-back discs between the lobe and the earring back. These are called earring "lifters" and are a much larger size than a typical butterfly back; they can't work their way into the hole even if the earring is heavy. You can get them from Amazon if you can't find them locally. My DD has a slightly ripped hole in one ear that prevents her from wearing tiny earrings; she wears silicone lifters with all earrings.

In future, you might try using flat-back discs between the lobe and the earring back. These are called earring "lifters" and are a much larger size than a typical butterfly back; they can't work their way into the hole even if the earring is heavy. You can get them from Amazon if you can't find them locally. My DD has a slightly ripped hole in one ear that prevents her from wearing tiny earrings; she wears silicone lifters with all earrings.
Thanks for that info!

The dermatologist did call back this morning, but they said they couldn't see him until next Wednesday. While I'd rather have them do it, I don't want to take any chances for infection over the weekend (and with offices being closed on Tuesday for the 4th), so I'm just keeping the pediatrician appointment for tomorrow and hoping for the best. Last night, one of the studs came out from the front (couldn't put it back in with the back inside of his earlobe) which is another reason I just want the backs out sooner rather than later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter