• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help! Need input on pedi stroller

Karalynn

Mouseketeer
Here is our situation. My dd 5 (Grace) has cp and isn't ambulatory, we have a maclaren major stroller which is getting broken down and in need of replacement. She has a wheelchair that is used in school and on the bus, but for the most part, we use the stroller for trips to the mall and such. I have thought long and hard, and think that the stroller would be fine for her to take on our trip next month. It will be easier to fly with, transport on the bus, etc. She is still little enough where we will be able to transfer her out for rides and seating in restaurants in a regular booth or seat.

So... my question is, do any of you have special strollers that you love and can recommend? I have been on adaptive mall and looked at them, but its hard to judge without seeing them. Also, we will have to pay for this on our own, since the insurance just paid for a wheelchair a year ago. So, a $3000 model isn't in the budget. My dh says just get a regular stroller, but I feel that they sit too low.

Thanks for any recommendations. :goodvibes

My son has a Convaid that we really like. He will be 4 in January and is able to sit and walk but has cognative delays so his is for safety more than positioning. Insurance covered his but if I recall correctly it cost about 1600.00. It folds like an umbrella stroller and it is fairly easy to travel with.

Mike

I hate the convaid Convertable the girl I work with uses (shes 10 and has CP). The seat stinks. The sling seat or whatever you want to call it is uncomfortable and requires a pillow behind her back to make it more managable. It's even uncomfortable for me to sit in it.

I like the one she used to have. I can ask her mom what model it was but it was a long time ago.

I have one that is similar to the Maclaren Special Needs Stroller. We actually were first going to get through the Adaptive Mall but then insurance said they would cover but only if got one through one of their durable medical equipment companies. It's the same rides really well and folds up thin which is nice for Car trips and buses. Seat has no support but my ds doesn't need the support - he has enduance/stamina and pt issues from cancer. I saw they have accessories that I might buy for ours though and they offer a pad there. It's a little hard to get into by himself because he has short legs but weighs 65 lbs so I can't pick him up anymore.

I have the Maclaren for my DS(7). I am very happy with it. We were lucky my insurance company paid for it. It was purchased through a medical supply company I just asked if that one was covered and they said yes. I did have to get a letter from his doctor to say it was medically necessary. We have had it for 2 years already and it has held up really well.

debbiemomto4 said:
Seat has no support but my ds doesn't need the support - he has enduance/stamina and pt issues from cancer. I saw they have accessories that I might buy for ours though and they offer a pad there. It's a little hard to get into by himself because he has short legs but weighs 65 lbs so I can't pick him up anymore.
A lot depends on the child's needs, the same is for regular wheelchairs.

For some people (what I call) the "plain vanilla" wheelchair is appropriate. That might be a sling seat because that person doesn't need a lot of support, can get out of the chair and sit in a regular seat at times and doesn't have pressure or positioning issues that make a more supportive or more pressure reductive seat necessary. Those are the least expensive.

Some people have a lot more needs and will have to get the more expensive equipment. My DD has positioning needs and is at high risk of skin breakdown. She needs a lot more than plain vanilla - just the seat and back for her wheelchair costs more than many of the special needs ones.

Another suggestion - if you are working with an OT or PT, they may know somewhere that you can either see or try some of the special needs strollers and they would be able to give suggestions for what might be the most appropriate one for your child.
Last, if you liked the Macclaren Major, they do make them in sizes for people up to at least 5 feet tall and 100 pounds or so.
Another thing you may want to look into for future use is figuring out how to transport your DD's wheelchair. If she is capable to manouver her own wheelchair, she would probably be happier if she has it.

Mike Bartenhagen said:
My son has a Convaid that we really like. He will be 4 in January and is able to sit and walk but has cognative delays so his is for safety more than positioning. Insurance covered his but if I recall correctly it cost about 1600.00. It folds like an umbrella stroller and it is fairly easy to travel with.

Mike

I think that's what we have, too. It is very sturdy and will hold up to 150lbs. It looks just like a large umbrella stroller. Ours was about $1600 as I recall. It will last us probably until he finishes high school, so that works out to about $160 /year.

To the OP, does your child need special positioning? Because this kind of stroller doesn't have much support. But it's great for tooling around town, and can be used on public transportation since it has appropriate tie-downs.

Thanks everyone for you input and pictures/links!!

Time is flying here, and we only have about 6weeks left before the big trip!! I still am on the fence as to what to get, but for now, we don't have the finances to buy a special needs stroller and probably not enough time to get it before we leave! (ins. will not pay for it) So, we will more than likely just take her wheelchair. I was going to look at regular strollers, but I think her legs will be too long! (I checked some out online.)

I know whatever we end up taking will work out fine! I think I'm more concerned because we are not renting a car. Also flying..... I'm just a crazy worrier!! :crazy: If I took her wheelchair, I'd worry that I should have taken a stroller, if I took a stroller, I'd worry that I should have taken her chair!!! But as long as we are at Disney, thats what matters most right!!!!

Sorry!! Thanks for hearing me babble! Maybe too much coffe this am????? :hyper2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter