Help!! Need snake advice!!

AF Brenda

Some horses just won't die
OK, I was going out to the car this morning, and I noticed something moving in the big round toy box we have outside for the kids outdoor toys.

It was a snake!!! Just curled up at the bottom, wrapped around DD's baton, with his cute little head resting on DS's rollerblades. I can't imagine why the snake would be at my house, but I know that my neighbor's kitten disappeared last week, so.....

I want to keep the snake, but I have some questions, and I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

What is the best way to trap a snake?

Do I have to have a license to keep a snake in a residential area?

Do snakes need shots? Can they get rabies and scabies and all of that kind of stuff?

How do I tell if the snake is poisonous?

If it is poisonous, I've heard that one can sell the venom. So, how does one milk a snake, and how long can I refrigerate the venom before it goes bad?

I wouldn't touch him until you know what kind he is. Get a good look at him and try to identify or call someone who knows. Then worry about "trapping him". We knew ours was a corn snake (non-venomous) and DD picked him up and put him in a container.

We didn't have a license. I don't know about where you live though??

We didn't get any shots for him either. Only fed him weekly (frozen mice) My BIL is a vet and he didn't have concerns about any of those things. Do wash your hands well after handling him.

I don't know anything about the venom. I doubt I'd have kept a venomous one. Good luck though. :D

Make kissing noises and he will probably slither right over. :D

We always had snakes as pets when we were kids. My mother would take us out into the woods to collect them. Usually they were just garter snakes or racers. We kept them in a cage in our room.

My daughter has inherited my love of the critters. Although we don't have any in the house, our property abounds with them. Their shedded skins also make nice wall decorations, as evidenced by my daughter's bedroom walls.

Just try to find out what kind of snake it is first. Some of them pack a nasty bite. Want to see my scars?

Try Kingsnake.com - They will identify snakes (or do their best) if you tell them where you live and give a good description. They also have information on the care of snakes.

HerpIndex also keeps photo index's to give you an idea of what it might be.

Good Luck!

If you really want to milk the snake, first you will need a very tiny stool, a small bucket and maybe some tweezers to help you pull the snake udders.

Sorry, someone had to say it!

Good luck catching the snake and keeping it as a pet. I'd take it to a vet just to have it checked over. Some friends of ours kept all sorts of reptiles and one beautiful snake did have some parasites living on it for a while (they were some kind of mite, I think).

Brenda - what color is the snake? Is the head diamond shaped? (most poisonous snakes have a diamond shaped head due to the venom in the jaws and the fangs, etc.) How big is it?

Yes it is possible to milk a snake, but it is a very dangerous thing to do and it could bite you if you are not careful.

I would call your vet to ask about the shots and licenses and things, but I don't think you need any of that.

You do need an aquarium with a heat lamp, some rocks, gravel and water for it. Any local pet store can help you with a set up for it.

If you determine it's not poisonous, you can try and just pick it up behind the head. Non-poisonous snakes also bite though, so be careful. They do make those poles with the straps on them like animal control officers use to catch animals with; you might could get one of those to catch it.

I'm glad you found it and not your kids!!! :)

If you really want to milk the snake, first you will need a very tiny stool, a small bucket and maybe some tweezers to help you pull the snake udders.

HAHAHA Too Funny!! :p Ya smartarse

On second thought, Brenda, I think you need to call Jeff Corwin. No doubt he could show you how to handle a snake.

oh Yes Jeff Corwin is the way to go!

Jeff would even make me handle a snake and I'm terrified of them ;)

So, Brenda, what's happening with the snake??:confused: :D We need an update!!

I haven't been back home yet, so I don't know if he is still there or not.

I'm a little concerned though, because I know that snakes shed their skin. My husband is highly allergic to a number of things, and I worry that he might be allergic to the snake also.

I'm also having a hard time picturing a snake in my house...though the mental picture of the snake with a little rhinestone collar and leash, being slithered around the neighborhood by my kids is appealing to me.

Just make sure if you order pizza that you don't have the snake wrapped around your wrist when you hand the delivery guy the money. :rolleyes:

There are all kinds of snakes, before you do anything, find out what kind it is and do some research. Since you don't know very much about them, I wouldn't even think about trying to keep a venomous one, let alone trying to milk one.

You will find out what kind of habitat it needs, food, etc, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter