Help? Not sure what else to title

icemann0220

Earning My Ears
So, possibly going to visit for roughly 2 days. Thinking we need the park hopper, tell me if not. We are regulars to WDW so what's a must that isn't similar/same for WDW. Plus, where would you stay, why? DVC is an option, what's really worth it.

So, possibly going to visit for roughly 2 days. Thinking we need the park hopper, tell me if not. We are regulars to WDW so what's a must that isn't similar/same for WDW. Plus, where would you stay, why? DVC is an option, what's really worth it.
A little more info might help those offering info.
Dates?
Number of people? ages?

We would never consider anything but a PH. The freedom of going where ever we want or heading to the other park if the one you in is busy or has a bunch of breakdowns is well worth the added cost.

I'd also do hoppers and would do DVC if available or another onsite hotel to get the EMH. That 7am start in the summer really helps beat the crowds at DCA

"roughly two days"....that is intriguing, sounds like there a half day somewhere. With a fully operating DCA, there would be no need to park hop over to Disneyland. you are going to start with GOG and RSR, with multiple rides on RSR thru out the day, it will be warm, so take a plunge GRR and then return for the lights on RSR, and in between are small sit down shows and one large show and a parade, plus great theme restaurants to eat. so in the course of one day, what would you do at Disneyland during a full day at DCA? Likewise at Disneyland, your one day will not be enough, even if attractions are broke down, there is so much history to see on your first visit, that attractions are really secondary , so then what are you going to do on your park hop over to DCA.

Now, if you were there 3 days, then park hopping is great, because you can become soaked everyday on GRR, dry off at lodging, come back to eat at DCA and then head over to Disneyland for the magic of the night that you will miss on a one day visit only.

You will find lots of helpful information here: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets.

Also, if you do 3 park days and purchase your tickets ahead of time, your tickets will come with a Magic Morning (early entry one day -- Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday -- to DL). That one hour early entry to FL and TL can really help you get a lot done. 2 day tickets do not come with a MM.

Also, you might want to edit your title to indicate that you are WDW vets looking for help planning a DLR trip. That will help DISers know what you want and how to help you.

Last edited:
I always go with a Hopper. I just can't stand not being able to park hop, and I much prefer Disneyland to CA. Actually, I have an annual pass, but when I take my family, they get hoppers.

Keep in mind that DTD is going to be undergoing a big construction project and all we know at this time is that it is scheduled to begin in summer 2018. They will be demolishing Rainforest, Earl of Sandwich, the movie theater, ESPN and are going to start building a new hotel on that site. I imagine this will impact DLH quite a lot, and likely PPH in terms of entry since the current security station will have to be moved.

ETA: the new project will also take the monorail out of commission at some point.

Get the park hopper, going back and forth between parks is a breeze and offers a ton of flexibility. As we get ready to go to WDW for the first time, being used tp the ease of park hopping at DL has me a little nervous with the 4 parks so spread out.

For a first trip of just 2 days I would not bother with PH. 3 days? Yes on the PH. There is enough in each park for a full day, 3rd day you could do your favorites in each park.

If you can get the GCH on points that would be great, but I don't know how their availability is, especially in Summer. Off property is not bad - actually it is pretty awesome. Some places are literally across the street from DLR. Also with the DTD construction getting to/from DLH and PP might be a hassle.

We have stayed at the Tropicana, Dessert Inn & Suites, and HoJo. I can recommend them all. They are clean staff is friendly, and they are super close. HoJo does not have breakfast but the other 2 do. You can book and cancel if you can find DVC. Most places have a 48hr before arrival cancellation policy.

We are WDW vets, who have also been going to DLR every year for the last several years. As a WDW vet, hoppers are absolutely a must for us at DLR. By WDW standards, DL and CA are basically one big park. Hopping is a 5 minute process. The parks are separated by a plaza about the length of a football field and you do not go through security again to hop between parks. The walk is basically shorter than getting off a resort bus and walking to the gate of the park in most instances at WDW. We sometimes hop several times a day. If the wait times in one park look significantly shorter on the app, we hop over and take advantage of the shorter lines. DH is particularly fond of the Karl Strauss brewery beer truck on the wharf at CA, and he has been known to disappear over there while DD and I go ride small world (DD likes riding it multiple times and he is done after one). He is usually back within the gates of DL by the time we are off the ride.

As far as where to stay, being WDW vets, we like to stay in the bubble, so we pick a Disney hotel. We like the DLH- it is a nice walk through DTD to the parks from the resort (and when people tell you it is a long walk- that is by DLR standards- it is nothing by WDW standards). To us, GC is basically a scaled down Wilderness Lodge. We like it, but we have stayed at WL multiple times at WDW, so we prefer DLH which is different from anyplace we have stayed at WDW.

POTC is far superior at DL. That should definitely be on your must do list. Carsland is amazing RSR puts Test Track to shame. Carsland is beautiful at night. At some point (day and night), you should enter it from the wharf area. The view is amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter