Help! Phone Camera vs. Well Rated Point and Shoot Cameras Under $250

Duffy Lover

What?!?!? No!
I am not a photographer. I use my phone for pictures, but they come out blurry, and poor unless in bright light. I would like to change that... I want to learn - I yearn for better pictures!!! (Queue cheesy music here).

Our next big trip to the World is only 90 days away, and I would love to capture some great moments. We currently have a 7 year old (or so) Cannon PowerShot SX120, and shortly after receiving it the camera decided that any battery we put in it was drained and automatically reverted to the lowest quality setting. Before that we had a Sony (some sort of point and shoot we bought on our honeymoon 11 years ago) that also went bunk on us in a similar way. My DH's POV is that any camera under $250 (and honestly I'd love one under $200 if possible) will be the same as a phone camera and that I should just learn how to use that better. Also, I'm feeling a bit cursed as both cameras were pricey(to us) and yet did not yield great pictures and are now worthless.

So. Two things. Am I better off just using my phone camera? Which by the way we will be in the market for a new phone in May, and if so, what's the best non-Apple phone? Or do we get a camera? Can I find one I can learn to use in three months that would be better than a new phone? Which camera?

TIA!

Which phone?
I did a post a while ago comparing the iPhone 7 to a $1,000 dSLR--- and when sticking to kit lens and auto settings, the iPhone was just as good or better than the $1,000 dSLR.

If you have one of the newest smart phones, then no $250 p&s will be "better" in terms of quality, but it would potentially give you some optical zoom. Outside of some optical zoom, I see no reason to buy consumer level p&s cameras -- which is why the market for compact cameras has dropped 80% in the last 6 years.

For those who truly want to learn photography, manual settings, etc... you can get better images with enthusiast cameras (which start around $350-400)...
For those sticking to auto, and/or looking to stay under $300... I'd suggest the newest smart phones unless you absolutely need more optical zoom.
Remember.. if you took something like the iPhone 7+... and removed everything except the camera functions.. it would still be a $300-400+ camera. High quality lens, super fast processor, fantastic autofocus system, high definition touch screen, built in wifi and gps, in-camera editing -- that all adds up to a pretty advanced camera.

iPhone vs $1,000 camera
https://www.disboards.com/threads/iphone-vs-aps-c-dslr-mirrorless.3570353/#post-57001002

Which phone?
I did a post a while ago comparing the iPhone 7 to a $1,000 dSLR--- and when sticking to kit lens and auto settings, the iPhone was just as good or better than the $1,000 dSLR.

If you have one of the newest smart phones, then no $250 p&s will be "better" in terms of quality, but it would potentially give you some optical zoom. Outside of some optical zoom, I see no reason to buy consumer level p&s cameras -- which is why the market for compact cameras has dropped 80% in the last 6 years.

For those who truly want to learn photography, manual settings, etc... you can get better images with enthusiast cameras (which start around $350-400)...
For those sticking to auto, and/or looking to stay under $300... I'd suggest the newest smart phones unless you absolutely need more optical zoom.
Remember.. if you took something like the iPhone 7+... and removed everything except the camera functions.. it would still be a $300-400+ camera. High quality lens, super fast processor, fantastic autofocus system, high definition touch screen, built in wifi and gps, in-camera editing -- that all adds up to a pretty advanced camera.

iPhone vs $1,000 camera
https://www.disboards.com/threads/iphone-vs-aps-c-dslr-mirrorless.3570353/#post-57001002

Thanks for the insight. It looks like DH was right, I guess I should begin by working on the basics with my current phone camera (which is a Samsung Galaxy S5)...

Thanks for the insight. It looks like DH was right, I guess I should begin by working on the basics with my current phone camera (which is a Samsung Galaxy S5)...
That phone is so great for photos.....both my sons carry this,and I love the quality of the photos with it,I was tempted to buy a 2nd hand model just to use for picture taking,since it's so much better than my iphone 5s for pics.....I love the different settings you can use to get great shots

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter