• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HELP! Planning a Surprise WDW Trip for Partners 30th Birthday

bky0809

Earning My Ears
Evening all,
I have been lurking a bit on the boards and decided to seek some guidance from all the folks out in the blogosphere. So here are the details and plans so far; My DP's mother has graciously book us a room at Saratoga Springs using her DVC membership as well as plane tickets. The rest of the planning is left to me and here's where I seek some advice. We will be flying in May 19 and leave the 22nd, this trip also happens to be around our 2nd Anniversary. So I am looking for any suggestions, tips, or general knowledge sharing on what you'd do. I am planning on 1 day per park, most likely starting with Hollywood Studios due to the Extra Magic Hours the day we arrive. This is my first time planning a Disney Vaycay as the last time I visited I was 15 with my family for my Mom's 40th. I look forward to any advice anyone has to offer.
-Bruce (not the shark)

Evening all,
I have been lurking a bit on the boards and decided to seek some guidance from all the folks out in the blogosphere. So here are the details and plans so far; My DP's mother has graciously book us a room at Saratoga Springs using her DVC membership as well as plane tickets. The rest of the planning is left to me and here's where I seek some advice. We will be flying in May 19 and leave the 22nd, this trip also happens to be around our 2nd Anniversary. So I am looking for any suggestions, tips, or general knowledge sharing on what you'd do. I am planning on 1 day per park, most likely starting with Hollywood Studios due to the Extra Magic Hours the day we arrive. This is my first time planning a Disney Vaycay as the last time I visited I was 15 with my family for my Mom's 40th. I look forward to any advice anyone has to offer.
-Bruce (not the shark)

Be sure your partner's mother signed you up for Disney's Magical Express as well -- free transport from airport to WDW.

For most of this list, you can find info on the official Disney website:
  1. Sign up for My Disney Experience
  2. Add your partner to your "Family and Friends" list
  3. Enter your DVC reservation information
  4. Customize your MagicBands
  5. Make reservations (ADRs) for a few meals -- check out menus at allearsnet.com and choose a few you think he'd like
  6. Buy your park admission ASAP and link the info to your MagicBands so that
  7. At 60 days out, you can make Fast Pass (FP+) "reservations" for various attractions and experiences -- and make the most of the short amount of time you will be there!
  8. I highly recommend purchasing either PhotoPass or MemoryMaker so you can have a lot of pictures with BOTH of you in the photo. PP is sufficient, unless you want ride photos as well, and go to the character meals that include a photo package; in that case, spring for MM.
  9. Have fun!!!

Congrats to you both from me and my wife,

Beth & Ali (me)

Be sure your partner's mother signed you up for Disney's Magical Express as well -- free transport from airport to WDW. For most of this list, you can find info on the official Disney website: [*]Sign up for My Disney Experience [*]Add your partner to your "Family and Friends" list [*]Enter your DVC reservation information [*]Customize your MagicBands [*]Make reservations (ADRs) for a few meals -- check out menus at allearsnet.com and choose a few you think he'd like [*]Buy your park admission ASAP and link the info to your MagicBands so that [*]At 60 days out, you can make Fast Pass (FP+) "reservations" for various attractions and experiences -- and make the most of the short amount of time you will be there! [*]I highly recommend purchasing either PhotoPass or MemoryMaker so you can have a lot of pictures with BOTH of you in the photo. PP is sufficient, unless you want ride photos as well, and go to the character meals that include a photo package; in that case, spring for MM. [*]Have fun!!!

Thanks for the pointers!
I have already have ADR at Mamma Melrose's, Ohana, and Chef d' France, I customized the MB, linked the reservation, and we are signed up for Magic Express. I am planning to buy tickets after the slow time at the Restaurant I work at subsides, sometime in February, most likely after the 2/14 rush. I have been debating MM, but we aren't doing any character meals and I personally don't care about the ride photos this trip. So PP it is I guess.
I am sure there more to do as well, I have ordered a slew of pins for trading, a few VINYLMation figures and his mom has had a puzzle made of a picture of him as a kid in WDW that says Happy 30th Birthday! You're Going to Disney!. I will most likely make a few shirts, I really like the idea of having shirts of vintage Disney movies like Pete's Dragon, Robin Hood, ect.
-

You can order custom shirts from Cafe Press, Zazzle, or the Disney Store. The problem is finding an image you want. They will not print images they think are covered by copyright.

If you go to the Restaurants forum there is a thread all about custom cakes. You can order a special cake to be delivered to a restaurant, which is fun. We have done 4 custom cakes over the years for birthdays and anniversary.

You can find descriptions of tours and other "extras" on the Disney site if you want to add an unusual experience one day. :)

My partner and I, for the past 3 or 4 years we've tended to go to WDW for our Anniversary in October, we never really did anything special, this past year was our 10th, so I contacted the disney florist at
http://www.disneyfloralandgifts.com You can have your items sent directly to your resort room!

I had Ear Hats with our names embroidered, as well as a cheese and cracker and drink tray and a "minnie magical moment" floral bouquet ordered. While my experience was a bit problematic, I would do it again in a heartbeat but follow up a few days ahead of arrival to make sure everything was ok.

1. My hats were not customized
2. My flowers never showed up

As it turns out my problems were on their end, all orders placed online are hand entered into a different system, they missed the customization of the hats while entering, and the flower order was "stuck" in a separate floral queue.

In the end the manager refunded me my flowers and the customization charge (I took them to the magic kingdom and they embroidered them there) and later that day the "Disney Dozen" roses and a Happy Anniversary matted picture that was signed by Mickey and Minnie were in my room at no extra cost to me.

He loved the flowers, and I find myself starring happily at our picture on our wall.

One thing to note though, the flowers I left with the front desk, we had them a week and I wasn't sure how best to get them on a plane back home., figured the cast members could enjoy them for as long as they would last backstage.

The Disney Floral & Gifts folks have tons of ideas for Birthdays and Anniversaries, you just have to find something that fits within your budget. But like I said, call a few days before your trip to make sure everything is all set.

Make sure you tell them that you are celebrating a birthday and anniversary. You sometimes get some nice surprises, but don't plan on them.

Also, get the Birthday and Anniversary pins at the front of the park. If you wear them you will get lots of notice from cast members. It makes the days very special feeling. Some restaurants do special things for birthdays and anniversaries, but you never know.

You will have a great time I am sure!

Ric

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter