Help!!! Please tell me about POFQ!!!

disneydreamer1970

Loves planning surprise Disney trips!
I just got off the telephone with my travel agent and he is rebooking our hotel from CBR to POFQ!! We would have waited but we are going with my parents and my sister and her family!!! I will be there with my DH, DS (11) and DD (23 months old), November 6 - 16! Please share with me whatever you can to make this a good trip. I am trying to look at things with a positive attitude and have never been to POFQ. We just loved CBR and we are very dissapointed at the moment. It is very hard to get used to planning the trip somewhere else when we have had reservations made for 9 months.:(

Please help me to feel better about this!!!

We originally had planned on staying at Coronado Springs this last week, but were changed to POFQ at a significantly lower rate. We had stayed at POR (when it was still Dixie Landings) and really enjoyed it, but were not sure what to make of POFQ. Well, we were not dissapointed in the least. We arrived early for check in, the wonderful CM got us a room in building 4, on the 1st floor right next to the main builder/food court area. We were just steps away from the bus stop, which made getting to and from our room a breeze. When we stayed at POR, our walk to the main building/bus stops was long.
The grounds are beautiful and resemble streets, with street lamps and lovely landscaping. The main pool area is quite cute, which a slide for young and old alike. The food court is very nice, a good selection of foods (the pizza is very good), a big screen tv airing Disney movies. The rooms were nice, in our opinion, and clean. Even though our room faced the parking lot, it was very quiet, and we never heard a soul outside.
I think you will be very pleased with this hotel. We will most likely stay here again in the future, though we try to stay in a new resort each trip. Since this is a pretty small resort, there really isn't a bad building to stay in, as you will still be pretty close to the main building and pool. The pool is open 24 hours, though the hot tub is only open until 10pm (atleast that was the time last week when we were there).
If you have any specific questions regarding the resort, I would be glad to answer as best as I can. I will tell you that the bus service was excellent, and through the whole week, the only time we didn't have a seat was on the way home one night from the Magic Kingdom. All of the other times we had a seat with no problem.:Pinkbounc

The first time we stayed on site was at CBR when our DD was 18 months old. The resort is large and spread out. That is difficult when you have a little one.

The second time (and visits #4 - 9) were at POFQ. Can you tell we loved it? The resort is nicely compact and there are much fewer people with whom to deal. Walking to the foodcourt is a breeze. The pool is lovely and there is a nice wading pool for your almost 2 year old. Your son will like the big pool and slide.

You also have pool hopping privileges with POR. (POR is the resort we've stayed at the last 2 visits and we'll be back there in September.) The POR pool and playground is better for your 11 year old (my now 7.8 yo DD likes it better which is why we switched from my favorite -- POFQ).

I understand the boat service between the resorts and to DTD is back up and running and that is service is wonderful. It's a nice boat ride to DTD. We always do it in the evening.

Bus service is terrific at POFQ. You're the first stop for the entire PO resort (FQ and Riverside), so you always have a seat. We were last at POR in February and POFQ was closed, so I'm not sure how we'll do this time.

Like the last poster, should you have specific questions, feel free to send me a message or post more here.

You will not be disappointed.

DD1970,

Let me preface my comments by stating the obvious...resort preferences are personal and what one person finds desirable, another will find objectionable.

That said, FWIW, I'm with Sandi. We chose to try CBR after 3 wonderful visits to POFQ.....and spent much of the week regretting our choice. CBR is HUGE and with a central food court, we found it difficult to manage with two little ones. Further, the buses always seemed to be crowded and were a long walk from where we stayed.

We have decided the POFQ is our moderate of choice.

The small (relatively) size was a good fit for us. We found the boat to DTD, the convenience of first on/first off the bus, and the ability to get to the food court quickly (to refill that mug or get an evening snack!) to be in keeping with our expectations of an enjoyable and relaxing vacation (don't worry/behappy). And our kids love the pool! Housekeeping has always been good and always find creative ways to 'decorate' the room with DD/DS beanies.

While, I've never had the experience, I can certainly understand the angst many are feeling as a result of the uncertainty caused by the renovations at CBR. It seems much of the 'outrage/shock' is abating....I remain optimistic Disney will do right by folks!

Good luck! Remember the power of positive thinking! I'm sure you and your family will have a super vacation!

behappy!

YOU'LL LOVE IT HERE!!!!! This is my family's and I favorite moderate resort. I too have ressies at CBR and am waiting to hear from CRO to see what they have to offer. Hoping for a deluxe, but if I have to choose one of the other moderates, I would definitely go with POFQ. Have stayed at POR once and swore never to return. I'm not thrilled with the look of CSR (just my opinion) and also that it is sooo spread out.

Ok, let me rave about POFQ. This resort is very compact, so no matter what building you are in, it is a very quick walk to get places. If you are a non-smoker, request building #5. It is very close to the pool, the main building, the foodcourt and the bus stop. Another strong suggestion would be to request connecting rooms on the first floor. This way you are not always in a panic about one of the kids climbing on the rails or down the stairs and falling. I would give CRO a jingle and have them put these requests on your (and your families) reservations, then confirm them a few days before you arrive, as well as when you check-in. Nothing is guarenteed, but you have a much better chance of it happening. The pool is cool and the the water slide is King Triton riding on a serpent. The slide itself is the serpent's tongue. There is kiddie wadeing pool next to the main one. Behind the pool bar is the laundry area. It's a good size and not usually full. Behind the laundry area and hidden amoungst tall bushes surounding it is the hot tub. When you walk in the main building, the check-in area and guest services are to your right. There is an area with chairs for kids to sit and watch a Disney movie. This is handy while checking-in. The foodcourt is on the other side of the main check-in area. This is a large area with plenty of seating both indoors and out. Look up and around to see all the Mardi-gras stuff. I found the food to be very good. The bus stop is just off the main building. Depending on when you are going, most of the buses are shared with POR. A big plus regarding POFQ is that the buses ALWAYS stop here first, so you know you will get a seat. It is also the first stop when you are returning from the parks. Most of the buildings are either courtyard (standard) or water/pool view rooms. I always request building #5, since the view is standard on one side, but it overlooks some beautiful gardens. To really take in this resort, take a leisurely stroll around the resort either early in the morning as the sun is coming up or at sunset. Look at the architecture of the buildings, the gardens, the water fountains, the dancing/music playing alligators, and all of the little details. During this time of the day, it is very quiet and peaceful and you can hear the soft dixie music playing in the background. This is a beautiful resort and you are going to love it!!!!

jeleebeene,
Can you tell us if the boats were running to Downtown Disney??

Thanks,
Traci-

we stayed at the French Quarter for our honeymoon 2 years ago and loved it!!!!! We stayed at CBR last year and were not as impressed with it as we were with the FQ. We actually wanted to transfer back over to FQ but decided not to. Don't hesitate or worry about it - - - it is absolutely beautiful!!

Thank you all for the information....after reading these posts and doing some research online I am actually getting a little excited to try a different resort!

The theme is very different but looks like loads of fun!!!

:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter