Help- Port Orleans Riverside vs Caribbean Beach

greenacre

Earning My Ears
My SO and I (mid-20s) are visiting Orlando in September for a work event and we're staying a few extra days before hand. We plan to visit all the parks and hope to rope drop.

We're split between these options for our hotel room (first 5 nights). The second 5 nights will be in Port Orleans Riverside (company request) and we will not be going to the parks those days.

- Caribbean Beach (Trinidad) - Pirate View (only room available)

- Port Orleans Riverside (Alligator Bayou) Standard 5th Sleeper - cheapest ($100 less than Pirate total)

- Port Orleans Riverside (Magnolia Bend) Royal Guestroom - most expensive ($80 more than Pirate total, $180 more than standard)

For Caribbean Beach: Is the Skyliner worth having the hassle of resort hopping? I also read that the Pirate rooms are very far and that travel times end up being long, even with the Skyliner. I also don't think a double bed would be great for my 6'1" SO.

For Port Orleans- is there any effective difference between the Royal room and the standard 5th sleeper? I'll also be working from the hotel a couple days, if that matters.

Thank you.

EDIT: What's the bus situation like for rope dropping (Port Orleans - Riverside)? We're debating renting a car for $450 (including parking at the resort/parks) + gas/fees. We're flying in, so that's ~$70 saved on an Uber, and we're open to going off-property to eat at a local restaurant or pick up groceries. I think the dealbreaker for us will be the bus situation at the parks- an hour wait doesn't sound worthwhile.

Last edited:
Wow, you have a lot on your plate to figure out!
I can only say that I have stayed at POR several times and it is our favorite. We like the laid back vibe, the Mill, the carriage rides, and the boat to DS. But it is not for everyone.
I haven't stayed at CBR and probably won't because we don't really care for the skyliner. You can also walk along the river to POFQ, which is a beautiful resort too.
We always stay at AB, but the Mansion rooms look the same except they have a fireworks headboard.
I don't know if this helps, and as you can see, I am prejudice towards POR, :)

I will always choose POR over CBR at this moment because the rooms are simply nicer at POR. I have severe mold allergies and had issues when I stayed at CBR. Their rooms need a complete renovation, then maybe I'll give them another try. My preference from your choices would be a fifth sleeper at POR.

Wow, you have a lot on your plate to figure out!
I can only say that I have stayed at POR several times and it is our favorite. We like the laid back vibe, the Mill, the carriage rides, and the boat to DS. But it is not for everyone.
I haven't stayed at CBR and probably won't because we don't really care for the skyliner. You can also walk along the river to POFQ, which is a beautiful resort too.
We always stay at AB, but the Mansion rooms look the same except they have a fireworks headboard.
I don't know if this helps, and as you can see, I am prejudice towards POR, :)
Thanks! I've done more research, and we've decided against Caribbean Beach- double beds don't sound worth it, and it seems busses aren't too bad.

Is there any difference between locations of the buildings? Or are they both a 10-15 min walk from food courts/park transportation/pools or hot tubs?

Thanks! I've done more research, and we've decided against Caribbean Beach- double beds don't sound worth it, and it seems busses aren't too bad.

Is there any difference between locations of the buildings? Or are they both a 10-15 min walk from food courts/park transportation/pools or hot tubs?
You can get closer rooms in AB, but the royal rooms will all be a little further away.

I think it's fun to move resorts, I'd go CB. The Skyliner is awesome.

If late hours are in play for your dates, you could look at confirmed DVC or Swolphin.

Pre-Skyliner: POR and it's not even close. Love the pool, the QS and the quiet atmosphere. CBR is too spread out and rooms are dated. Pool is not all that.
With Skyliner: I still lean POR because it's nicer, but Skyliner is awfully convenient.

We love POR and dislike CBR. My opinion is based solely on our previous trips and the problems we had while staying at CBR. We would actually save the money and stay at a value if CBR was all that was available. We've never had a problem at POR and love walking around the resort in the evening, its so pretty. On the flip side our neighbors love CBR and stay at least twice a year.

I lIke the AB section more than the Mansions.

But I do find many of the rooms in the AB section far away and it can be a bit of a maze finding your room and building, especially at night. The Royal rooms are just a quick, straightforward walk across the bridge to the lobby.

There are multiple bus stops and quiet pools around POR so the walks won't be so daunting. In the mornings, we found the main bus stop near the lobby (south) would get dedicated buses. When, travelling to and from the parks in the afternoon we would go the whole loop (west, north, east) before we got to our stop.

Personally, I would book the AB room and use the money on drinks at Nomad Lounge in AK. I do agree with a PP to get familiar with the AB layout in daylight before trying to navigate it in the dark.

I'd book AB and save your money. Riverside is a lovely resort and is central to most of the parks, so bus service isn't too bad to anywhere. I love the skyliner but the pirate rooms can be a hike depending on what your location is.

I think the Skyliner is worth the extra cost to stay at CBR because to me, it was a game changer. I don't even necessarily mind the Pirate Rooms (and they are actually decently close to the Skyliner hub, but far from main pool, lobby, dining, etc.). But, I will say the Pirate Rooms are a bit shabby now and the beds are not especially comfortable (especially for someone who is tall). So, I'm not sure I'd deal with the hassle of resort hopping.

Skyliner is awesome but I would only go CBR if standard rooms were available. Pirate rooms (as mentioned) have smaller beds and are a hike from everything.
If a regular room becomes available I would go CBR then you can experience both resorts.

I believe I read that Disney is getting rid of the pirate themed rooms at CBR

Update: Thanks all! We decided we absolutely don't want the Pirate Rooms, even with Skyliner access), so we're going with Port Orleans! Turns out that the Standard Room is now unavailable, so we'll be going with a Royal Room (and may modify our reservation if we see a standard room become available for a couple hundred cheaper).

Pirate room at CBR may be one the single worst rooms on property. They are being retired and havent been well maintained. Good call on PO.

Love POR ❤️❤️ But resort hop with the skyliners and see how you like the other resorts!

I love POR, and have stayed at AB, Mansion, and Royal rooms. None are too far from the main building, but AB area is a challenge. Best to pull up the map in the MDE app while you're in the room to see the best route to the bus stop and main building. The signage at the resort isn't always the quickest way. We were a stairway away from the good walkway to main building, but it was best if we walked around the building to to a quick walkway to the bus stop vs taking the stairs and following the signs from there. There are four bus stops-first is for most of AB, second is for some of AB and Arcadian building of the mansions, third is closest to Magnolia Bend of Mansions and Oak of Royal rooms. the fourth one is at the main building and is always crowded. Parterre building of Royal rooms isn't really close to the third or fourth bus stop. The busses go in that order and if they fill up at any stop, they leave, which makes the fourth stop not always possible. While the fourth bus stop is busy, they usually had a CM there that was able to radio and get a bus dedicated to that stop. First through third bus stops are one stop for all the park busses. The fourth stop has specific areas for each park. But one nice thing about POR is the boat ride to Springs, and oh yeah, Yeeha Bob!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter