Help..Split Stay or Moderate

Which Stay for 8 nights (split stay 3/5)

• All Star/Poly

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • All Star/Contemporary

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • All Star/Beach Club

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • French Quarter Entire Trip

Votes: 28 47.5%

• Total voters
I love DELUXE, who wouldn't? So, if you can afford the 3/5 split then do it!!
I've done 2 splits and honestly it is NO BIG deal, if you plan accordingly. Keep those 2 or 3 outfits on top in your luggage and take only those clothes out. Zip your luggage and under the bed until the morning of your transfer. I put all of the toiletries in a large bag I had brought. You could easily put these in your luggage too.

My best piece of advice is this: Plan on the transfer day to be a very low key non park day. I would go to DS, nice lunch, see a movie, do some shopping or just look and then head back to your deluxe hotel and relax in the lobby, go to the lounge for a drink/appetizers or head to the pool/bar!! Head to bed early and hit the ground EARLY next morning.

I'll just add in again that we have done split stays with 2 little kids. We didn't find it an issue at all. With 2 adults, even easier. I think it depends on your personality, if you have a car, etc. We never have a car so we like to have a few options for transportation.

I'll just add in again that we have done split stays with 2 little kids. We didn't find it an issue at all. With 2 adults, even easier. I think it depends on your personality, if you have a car, etc. We never have a car so we like to have a few options for transportation.
The car is a really good point. We never have one but if I had a car I would be less inclined to split because loading, unloading and transferring the car to the new hotel would be annoying to me.

My vote would be FQ, the report is a good size and depending on your park plans I like to build in taking a Minnie van or Uber to/from the parks bc you can schedule them in advance and it feels Deluxe getting dropped off right in front for MK.

In the minority but we prefer to do split stays. Lots of them- usually do new resort first then change to the Epcot area to finish. Prefer to walk to 2 parks over other transport for the entire trip. YC/BC are 2 favorites. Haven’t stayed at POFC but it doesn’t appeal to us. We prefer CSR.

I would do POFQ all trip.

We aren’t fans of split stays for a variety of reasons. - we hate packing and unpacking, I don’t feel truly relaxed and on vacation until we move (probably because I’m dreading the move), being homeless for part of the day (crap can happen like weather, illness, etc. where you need your room), we do midday breaks and want our room available midday, possibly having to do two food orders since Disney doesn’t move refrigerated items, we can’t/don’t want to leave certain items to be moved and possibly lost (meds, cash, electronics) and also can’t/don’t want to take them to the parks with us.

Last trip I offered my DD a value/BC split and she said no thanks and BC is our favorite. I was relieved because I didn’t want to do it either. We thoroughly enjoyed our trip at CSR for 9 nights.

Last edited:
We decided one resort and picked the Contemporary. I received a pin code which saves us $1800 off of our 8 night stay. Never stayed on the Monorail loop or even ridden it before and the Poly will be right next door and we can walk to the MK.
Enjoy your trip! There are clearly advantages to one resort, but also split stays. We do splits often and it's like starting vacation over again for us - half the trip to enjoy EP/HS and half to enjoy AK/MK (without kids, we do MK much less these days). A pool day on transition day until the room is ready - all good (most trips!). Enjoy the CR - the walk to and from MK is a huge perk! And a simple monorail ride to TTC to pick up the EPCOT monorail - also, a big plus!

As others said, it depends on your attitude toward switching hotels. Some people find it a hassle. Families like mine find it delightful, especially if we can structure the split stay so that the nicest or most desired hotel is at the end.

Here's my "are split stays right for you?" checklist -- apologies for repeating what some others have said above, but I agree with them.

DO YOU....

...Pack light? My family travels carryon-only and everyone's things are in color-coded packing cubes or pouches that can simply be unzipped and placed in a drawer or on a shelf, so packing and unpacking take us all of 5 minutes. However, if you like to pack for every eventuality and prefer to unpack a lot of loose items and really "settle into" a room, switching hotels might be stressful rather than fun for you.

...Like to spend a full day at the parks? Disney's complimentary luggage transfer from one hotel to the other can take most of the day: our routine on switch day is to drop off our bags for transfer before we head out to rope drop a park, stay in the parks for several hours, and then head to the resort no earlier than 5pm, to be sure our room will be ready and our bags will be waiting for us at Bell Services. If you needed a midday nap or pool break every day, and don't want to be "homeless" on the afternoon of your switch day, you'd have to forego luggage transfer services and transfer your luggage yourself, which would be a pain.

...Enjoy changes of scenery/theme? My family loves trying out new places and locations and we don't visit WDW often, so doing a split stay allows us to experience multiple themes. We try to structure our touring so that we're taking advantage of each hotel's proximity to particular parks (e.g., visiting EPCOT and HS on days when we're staying at Crescent Lake area hotels, and MK/AK on days when we're staying closer to those parks). However, if your park touring order isn't going to take advantage of your hotel's location (particularly at the deluxe one, as they're all very close to at least one park), and/or access to extra evening hours (but see anecdotal note below) you'd be wasting one of the biggest perks of staying deluxe.

...Value the differences between a moderate and a deluxe, enough to justify the cost? Frankly, my family doesn't, which is why we've only ever stayed deluxe on rented DVC points, which effectively bring the cost down to what we'd pay for a moderate. The "perks" of a deluxe resort are typically a higher proportion of onsite table service and lounge options, close proximity to at least one park (e.g., Beach Club is walking distance to EPCOT/HS, and Poly/Contemporary are walking distance or a short monorail ride to MK), slightly larger rooms, slightly more elaborate feature pools (in some cases), slightly nicer in-room amenities (in some cases), grander lobbies, more upscale on-site shopping venues (again, in some cases), and access to extra evening hours (typically at MK or EPCOT, one night per week each, with slightly shorter lines for attractions -- although candidly, we found that with unbelievably high use of G+ lanes by DAS users during those hours, waits for major attractions were shorter than at peak daytime hours, but still double their forecasted wait times -- obviously, YMMV, but for us, extended evening hours were not an impressive perk at all, and their availability wouldn't "move the needle" to a deluxe in any of our future decisions about where to stay).

Last edited:
Interesting thread as we are considering this for 2025. My original plan was for 13 nights at POR, but we've done many split stays and don't mind the move, so now considering 5 nights at Poly and 8 nights at POR. Although i may change my mind when the prices for 2025 are released and end up at POR for the whole stay. I should imagine I'll spend 2024 swinging between both options!

We decided one resort and picked the Contemporary. I received a pin code which saves us $1800 off of our 8 night stay. Never stayed on the Monorail loop or even ridden it before and the Poly will be right next door and we can walk to the MK.
That is AWESOME!!!!! I hope you have a wonderful time!

Have you considered renting points from a DVC member and staying deluxe the whole trip? I'd check out the DVC-Rent/Transfer forum and price compare. Price per point can vary, but we booked a 6 night trip over Marathon weekend at Old Key West for just over $1200.

Or check out one of the main businesses that rent points out for DVC members.

My vote is for AS/Poly especially w/ 2 adults. It's just DH & I the majority of our trips now that our kids are grown. We love the deluxe resorts & once you go deluxe, it's so hard to go back! BWI is our favorite atmosphere for adults. So since that wasn't a choice I went w/ Poly. The monorail is wonderful & the Poly is so beautiful. It's one of my favorite resorts now. We are staying at YC in 3 weeks & I'm hoping it's a different vibe than BC. We didn't carefor BC but I'm glad we stayed there all the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter