• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HELP! Starbucks overcharged me yesterday and now I am negative in my account!!!

Update:
For those that asked why I didn't consult my SIL first, I did - she was out of town as it was a holiday, so I came here as others do for assistance.

For those that asked why I don't keep more money in my account - I cannot. Already working two jobs and this was a treat for my DD.

For those that asked why I would not keep track - I thought I had and with this transaction, I still would have had money left - not much, but enough.

I was really asking for advice on "how" to go about handling this, which I got, but in all the years I have been on these boards, I have never received this much criticism for how I am doing things wrong.

We all make mistakes and I am sorry if those feel that I could have avoided it all together. Yes, I could have. Yes, I should have kept track more, but I was looking for assistance as this is what I thought these boards were for, not that I would have to get all these responses about how I am not handling my money the right way.

I have received numerous PM about how others have done the same thing and that I need to have thick skin on these boards or I could be ripped to shreds and I thank you - :)

I will be scanning, but not posting for awhile as this experience has shown me that the "assistance and advice" days are basically over when it comes to these boards and the "what you did wrong" days are here now.

I love these boards and have gotten and shared a lot of info on them over the years but I am very disappointed in some of the responses I received. . Come walk in my shoes for a week with caring for a sick parent out of state, a husband who just got out of the hospital, a child in cheer, two jobs and a house to tend too. We are all human.
Come walk in my shoes for a week! I can match you heartache for heartache. And while I can have empathy for you, I still feel that it isn't wise to spend down ANY bank account to the point to where you think it is almost empty (but not quite).

If this were a case of "I have to pick up medicine for my child and I'm *pretty sure* I have enough to cover my copay", then I certainly would have picked up the medicine and dealt with the possible overdraft later.

There's no way that I would have done this for a latte (or mochachino, or any other beverage). I would have told my child that I didn't have the money for it and that would have been the end of the discussion.

You handle your money any way you damn well please, OP. But ask yourself if cutting things so close is worth the additional stress that it caused you. Don't you already have enough things in your life to stress you out? Why would you want to add to them?

Are you serious??? You do realize not everyone has $1000 to leave in an account right???? :confused3:confused3:confused3

OP, my sympathy to you. Some of these posts are extremely rude. If you want to spend a couple bucks of YOUR money on Starbucks, GO FOR IT! Heck I have had a few dollars left in my spending account and still spent it at Starbucks. I do not have the ability to leave $1000+ in an account, EVER. We would love to have a buffer, but that is just not always reality for people. Don't let anyone beat you down! :flower3:
Small purchases add up to substantial amounts of money over time. If you have the money to spend on non-necessities like Starbucks - then you do have the ability to build up a cash reserve. You may choose to spend your money rather than save it, but don't say that you don't have the ability to do so.

I read about Mr. Money Mustache right here on the Budget Board, and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading his blog. This particular article elaborates on the idea that small amounts of money saved rather than spent DO make a difference. http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/08/01/a-millionaire-is-made-ten-bucks-at-a-time/

Update:
For those that asked why I didn't consult my SIL first, I did - she was out of town as it was a holiday, so I came here as others do for assistance.

For those that asked why I don't keep more money in my account - I cannot. Already working two jobs and this was a treat for my DD.

Just an FYI- McDonalds has MANY of the drinks VERY similar to Starbucks for a LOT cheaper....and SONIC has their drinks 1/2 off in the PM

Wow, How I love the budget board. ;)

Op your words are so true. We hate each other on one thread and bend over backwards on another to help each other. And you never know what your going to get. :lovestruc

Small purchases add up to substantial amounts of money over time. If you have the money to spend on non-necessities like Starbucks - then you do have the ability to build up a cash reserve. You may choose to spend your money rather than save it, but don't say that you don't have the ability to do so.

I read about Mr. Money Mustache right here on the Budget Board, and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading his blog. This particular article elaborates on the idea that small amounts of money saved rather than spent DO make a difference. http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/08/01/a-millionaire-is-made-ten-bucks-at-a-time/

I hadn't heard of this blog, but just started reading it.

OP- I understand making mistakes and being stressed about them.. It is going to be okay. Definitely check into the bounce protection. It can be very helpful. I hope you will decide to post again. :)

Some of you all need to back off a bit. I often leave only $20 in my checking account after I pay bills--everything else goes into savings so that I am not tempted to spend it on unnecessary stuff. But I will spend some of that $20 on coffee or treats. And a huge NO to the stuff at McDs. It is not very good.

I'm sure each of us go though other poster's budgets and find things we think are a waste of money. I don't care how pared down you think your budget is. The OP asked for help on a specific issue, not a lecture on how she spends her money.

Some of you all need to back off a bit. I often leave only $20 in my checking account after I pay bills--everything else goes into savings so that I am not tempted to spend it on unnecessary stuff. But I will spend some of that $20 on coffee or treats. And a huge NO to the stuff at McDs. It is not very good.

I'm sure each of us go though other poster's budgets and find things we think are a waste of money. I don't care how pared down you think your budget is. The OP asked for help on a specific issue, not a lecture on how she spends her money.

In this case, its easier to address the root cause to make sure it doesn't happen again.

You can cut your checking account close, but you have to keep EXCELLENT records - and as this experience shows, check your receipts each time. Frankly, its easier to keep a cushion. And it is possible for someone who swings by Starbucks to create a cushion - there is room in the budget for that to happen.

Otherwise, you are in the situation where you overdraft on an error, and the rolling effects of a single overdraft can cost hundreds of dollars.

The OP wasn't asking for someone to address the root cause. Not that any of us know if there really is a so called root cause. If she had been, instead of feeling attacked she would have been grateful for the advice.

She was asking for help with a specific issue. Not a budget lecture. Quite frankly there is no "root cause". The OP knew how much she had in that account. A mistake not of her doing made it overdrawn. It could easily happen to any one of us.

Just an FYI- McDonalds has MANY of the drinks VERY similar to Starbucks for a LOT cheaper....and SONIC has their drinks 1/2 off in the PM

We don't have a Sonic here. But the McDonalds in our area make the cafe drinks for cheaper, it's true. However, the way they set up their espresso machine, very little coffee is made vs the amount of milk used. So a latte, instead of looking brown, looks almost white. This has been a continuous problem. A few years ago I wrote a complaint to McDonalds corporate about this and they sent me a free cafe drink coupon. But the drinks are still white. I won't buy another latte from McDonalds. I give up.

OP can skip over answers she doesn't like. Ignore them. Whatever.

If you post a kooky situation on a public forum, you are going to get a wide range of answers. I think some of them are pretty good. But each person can pick and choose what he or she agrees with.

I'm surprised at the number of posters lecturing the "lecturers". :lmao:

I wasn't going to post anything per my last one, but several have sent me messages asking for an update.

I put money into that account so I now have a cushion.
Bank posted all pending so I am still in the positive.
The mgr at Starbucks and I are meeting tomorrow and she will credit my account.

Thanks- Diane

Come walk in my shoes for a week! I can match you heartache for heartache. And while I can have empathy for you, I still feel that it isn't wise to spend down ANY bank account to the point to where you think it is almost empty (but not quite).

If this were a case of "I have to pick up medicine for my child and I'm *pretty sure* I have enough to cover my copay", then I certainly would have picked up the medicine and dealt with the possible overdraft later.

There's no way that I would have done this for a latte (or mochachino, or any other beverage). I would have told my child that I didn't have the money for it and that would have been the end of the discussion.

You handle your money any way you damn well please, OP. But ask yourself if cutting things so close is worth the additional stress that it caused you. Don't you already have enough things in your life to stress you out? Why would you want to add to them?

The OP wasn't looking for judgement on her choice of purchases. She was looking for advice on the banking situation that was now before her.

OP, I am sorry you have received such harsh criticism from some of the folks on this board. Its one of the reasons I normally just read the Budget threads and don't reply. I often think it makes people feel much better about themselves to speak down to others....and yes, on an internet board, that will happen more often than not.

I hope you get things all worked out at the bank. And don't let the self-righteous attacks keep you from posting elsewhere on the Dis.

The OP wasn't looking for judgement on her choice of purchases. She was looking for advice on the banking situation that was now before her.

OP, I am sorry you have received such harsh criticism from some of the folks on this board. Its one of the reasons I normally just read the Budget threads and don't reply. I often think it makes people feel much better about themselves to speak down to others....and yes, on an internet board, that will happen more often than not.

I hope you get things all worked out at the bank. And don't let the self-
righteous attacks keep you from posting elsewhere on the Dis.

Plus one.

I wasn't going to post anything per my last one, but several have sent me messages asking for an update.

I put money into that account so I now have a cushion.
Bank posted all pending so I am still in the positive.
The mgr at Starbucks and I are meeting tomorrow and she will credit my account.

Thanks- Diane

Glad you got it resolved!
I think I know where you were coming from, a sense of panic. The bank is closed the SIL is unavailable and (if you're like many responsible people operating on a budget) what do I do now thoughts take over:confused3. So coming on here to get ideas, experiences and maybe some reassurance that it's not that bad turned into lectures. Just know that not everyone on here is ready to cast stones at glass houses.

I did find some of the responses pretty interesting, I tend to look at what people have posted on other subjects when I read a response that comes off as 'snarky', mean, know-it-all or judgmental and sometimes it's pretty enlightening...they seem to have similar attitudes and 'takes' on various subjects. If you get my drift?
Anyway I'm glad it turned out okay for you. I just think that the banks and businesses out there tend to make far more mistakes than they ever want any of us to know!

I just found it to be a weird question. How does she avoid going negative in the account? Well, make a deposit or a transfer.

I am glad the OP resolved this issue without having any additional charges. Too bad she had to get raked through the coals for asking a simple question. :rolleyes2

I just found it to be a weird question. How does she avoid going negative in the account? Well, make a deposit or a transfer.

The way it reads, to me, is it would have affected her calculated balance after all of her transactions hit the bank. Maybe she was wanting to know if they'd clear the other transactions anyway or if the OD fees would hit before the transactions and they'd reject. I'm not sure but at my age(yes I'm playing the age card:rotfl::rotfl:) I know that when all the stars align (crookedly) that some of us mere mortals go into a full panic whether it's warranted or not and just need someone to talk us down off the ledge.:)

Yeah, seems the answer was pretty easy and obvious. :confused3

Not that easy..depending on the circumstances. If you have two different bank accounts in two different banks how do you transfer? ATM deposit? Who knows where she lives in relation to where the ATM is and if it's not a cash in direct to the ATM and envelope deposit at a free standing ATM can take a bit to post.
I'm sure if panic and maybe more than a bit of irritation that someone at Starbucks was incompetent hadn't taken over she could have solved it. I tend to be a worst case scenario person myself...or a worrywart as my family likes to say.:rotfl2:

I personally would never share that type of information with anyone on the internet mostly because of the false bravado that people display when hiding behind a keyboard. For all any of us know, the people being the harshest and most judgmental on here may have even more financial problems than the OP actually expressed in her case.

I hope you get things all worked out at the bank. And don't let the self-righteous attacks keep you from posting elsewhere on the Dis.
I gave her advice on the first page of this thread. She didn't have to supply all of the details that she did in her OP, nor did she need to come back and justify her decisions any further.

I'm walking a similar path that the OP is on with two sick parents on the other side of the state, a husband who may need open heart surgery in the very near future and a business to run on my own while he recovers. And on top of that, I also have to keep a house in order and handle all of the other physical tasks that he used to handle. This is how life is and I don't complain or make myself out to be a victim of my circumstances. But I do know that I don't need more stress in my life. I imagine that the OP is the same. And that's why I question whether it's a wise decision to spend down ANY bank account to the point where even a slight error such as this one would put you in the red. In my eyes, she doesn't need the stress that was caused over this situation and it could have been avoided if she left a bigger buffer in the account and didn't flirt with being overdrawn.

Call it "self-righteous" if you want to, but I just call it common sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter