Help... Transportation from Port Miami to Orlando

tpettie

What's a tag and why do I want one...
Hi, we will be 4 adults looking to get transportation from the port of Miami to WDW resort. I don't know how it would work for a car rental? How do you get the car? what do I do with its once at WDW resort? how does paying the toll fees work?

my head hurts LOL...

Hi, we will be 4 adults looking to get transportation from the port of Miami to WDW resort. I don't know how it would work for a car rental? How do you get the car? what do I do with its once at WDW resort? how does paying the toll fees work?

my head hurts LOL...

There are rental companies that have shuttles that pick up at the port of Miami or you cab/uber to the airport and rent a car there. if you rent from National or Alamo you can drop your car at the Car Care Center by the Magic Kingdom or the Dolphin hotel. If you rent from Avis, they have a location at the Hilton at Disney Springs.

The Miami area does not have cash tolls, but the rental company will set you up with a toll device.

if you prefer not to drive yourself, there are bus services including megabus - https://us.megabus.com/route-guides/orlando-to-miami-bus and Amtrak trains.

As mentioned, you can do a rental car. You may price out returning it to MCO Orlando airport and taking Disney transportation to the resort. I have found it much cheaper to rent airport to airport than other drop off locations.

if you rent from National or Alamo you can drop your car at the Car Care Center by the Magic Kingdom or the Dolphin hotel.

Just drove up from Ft. Lauderdale to Car Care center for work yesterday using National. Wanted to add that they do toll by plate. So the easiest trip up will be on the turnpike and you will just use the sun pass lanes. Just drive through Like you have a transponder. The rental company outsources the toll by plate and usually in a week or so you will get the bill for the toll charges.

we used Budget out of downtown Miami ... but we had issues actually FINDING our car in their parking lot!!

They are about the closest to the port (but still using a taxi to get there)... and there is an office in one of the "Hotel Village" hotels near Disney Springs.

It's actually a pretty easy drive up. and every 45 miles or so there are very nice rest areas ... clean restrooms, fast food vendors and souvenirs.

Check with MouseSavers - they always have lots of discount and coupon codes for the car rental places. You usually have to check them all out to get the "best" deal.

It's easy to make one way ressies and there are numerous rental car locations in / near WDW. I have generally found that non airport locations have the best prices overall since renting from an airport location involves many additional "just because you are a captive audience here at the airport" taxes and fees that the off site places don't have.

We have used National (once) and Alamo (twice), picking up at the car rental center at MIA airport and returning the cars to the Alamo/National location at the Dolphin (twice) or MCO (once, after keeping the car for our entire stay that included a stay at Vero Beach after the WDW portion of the trip). Although Alamo/National has a shuttle from the port, we preferred to use Lyft after our cruise last January, but there were just the two of us, so it was pretty reasonable, about half the cost of the taxis we used the first two times we did this.

Alamo/National charges $3.95/day as a convenience fee for the toll services, charged back to the credit card on file for the rental, typically about 4 weeks after the rental in our experience. The charge is only imposed for days on which you incur toll charges, so only one such charge if you drive up to WDW and then return the car.

We are doing this for a cruise in April. It was $4 more expensive to drop car off at the B hotel near Disney Springs that to take it all the way to the airport. In total it was about $40 for a 1 day rental. We are renting through enterprise.

We have used National (once) and Alamo (twice), picking up at the car rental center at MIA airport and returning the cars to the Alamo/National location at the Dolphin (twice) or MCO (once, after keeping the car for our entire stay that included a stay at Vero Beach after the WDW portion of the trip). Although Alamo/National has a shuttle from the port, we preferred to use Lyft after our cruise last January, but there were just the two of us, so it was pretty reasonable, about half the cost of the taxis we used the first two times we did this.

Alamo/National charges $3.95/day as a convenience fee for the toll services, charged back to the credit card on file for the rental, typically about 4 weeks after the rental in our experience. The charge is only imposed for days on which you incur toll charges, so only one such charge if you drive up to WDW and then return the car.

Do you know wha the toll cost would be?

we used Budget out of downtown Miami ... but we had issues actually FINDING our car in their parking lot!!

They are about the closest to the port (but still using a taxi to get there)... and there is an office in one of the "Hotel Village" hotels near Disney Springs.

It's actually a pretty easy drive up. and every 45 miles or so there are very nice rest areas ... clean restrooms, fast food vendors and souvenirs.

Check with MouseSavers - they always have lots of discount and coupon codes for the car rental places. You usually have to check them all out to get the "best" deal.

It's easy to make one way ressies and there are numerous rental car locations in / near WDW. I have generally found that non airport locations have the best prices overall since renting from an airport location involves many additional "just because you are a captive audience here at the airport" taxes and fees that the off site places don't have.

I'm thinking of using Budget they seem to have the best price so far. My understanding is there should be a shuttle at the port to take us to the rental place. Thanks for the mousesavers tip forgot they had discounts.

I would budget about $20. It will vary a little depending on where you get on and off the turnpike.
That sounds about right. I had a credit card charge for about $28 total for tolls, but that included a second day when we drove from WDW to Vero Beach. We just paid cash for the trip from Vero Beach back to MCO, since it seemed wasteful to spend another $3.95 to avoid stopping to pay the two tolls on 528.

I recently returned a car to Alamo at the Swan after hours (I think they closed at 4:00 pm) and all I had to do was drop it with the Valet of the hotel. He gave me a paper receipt

We have driven from WDW to Miami for a cruise and we rented a car from Alamo/National/Enterprise. Picked it up at MCO before our WDW trip and dropped it off at Miami airport morning of cruise. Their shuttle took us right to the port (very easy). We also rented a car when we debarked the cruise for a trip to Delray Beach and the shuttle bus was right outside the terminal and took us to the airport to pick up our rental. Hint....if there is a long line at the counter for the rental, just use the kiosk....so easy and their was an attendant there to help if you had questions.

We live in NY but are in Florida a few times a year so I got ourselves a SunPass account and transponder.

MJ

my head hurts LOL...
Having just experienced this same issue, I looked into lots of transportation means, but in the end, I went with Red Coach USA and I would use them next time too. It was so nice not to worry about the details "tolls, pickup and drop off rentals" I actually napped in the recliner chair and my kids watched movies on WIFI. It just made life so much easier. I am sure you will love WDW so much more if you don't have to stress it. Best of luck, using Redcoachusa.com can make all the difference in your visit!

Having just experienced this same issue, I looked into lots of transportation means, but in the end, I went with Red Coach USA and I would use them next time too. It was so nice not to worry about the details "tolls, pickup and drop off rentals" I actually napped in the recliner chair and my kids watched movies on WIFI. It just made life so much easier. redcoachusa.com I am sure you will love WDW so much more if you don't have to stress it. Best of luck
Well, OP apparently did the cruise/trip in Jan 2019. I think they probably figured it out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter