HELP! Trying to decide which room!!

skelley12

Earning My Ears
We are wanting to take a 3 night cruise to the Bahamas in January 2018. We have 2 kids, so four people total. We are stuck between a room with an extended verandah on the Aft (8th or 9th floor) OR a room on the starboard side (so we could see fireworks). My husband & 5 year old are prone to motion sickness. This would be our 1st cruise.

For the extended verandah
I love the idea of more space but are concerned that some people complain about the smell, soot and vibration. What about motion sickness in these rooms?

For the starboard side
I like the idea of seeing the fireworks and the room being slightly bigger, but don't want to regret not getting the larger deck.

Please help. Any advice would be great!!

Last edited:
We are wanting to take a 3 night cruise to the Bahamas in January 2018. We have 2 kids, so four people total. We are stuck between a room with an extended verandah on the Aft (8th or 9th floor) OR a room on the starboard side (so we could see fireworks). My husband & 5 year old are prone to motion sickness. This would be our 1st cruise.

I love the idea of more space but are concerned that some people complain about the smell, soot and vibration. What about motion sickness in these rooms?

For the starboard side
I like the idea of seeing the fireworks and the room being slightly bigger, but don't want to regret not getting the larger deck.

My choice would be midship over an aft room. I want to let you know, also, that there are verandah rooms (on the starboard side) that you are requested not to be out on the verandah during the fireworks. Those rooms receive a letter requesting that.

My choice would be midship over an aft room. I want to let you know, also, that there are verandah rooms (on the starboard side) that you are requested not to be out on the verandah during the fireworks. Those rooms receive a letter requesting that.
Can you recommend any rooms for the Disney Dream?

For the starboard side

If you are on the side of the ship that the fireworks shoot off, you are requested not to be on your balcony. Plus, i would recommend being on the top deck so you can see the show that goes on before the fireworks.

If I were you, I would want the extended verandah. My Dad and I did this on our first cruise aboard the Dream, and we were surprised to have a lounge chair on our balcony. That was very relaxing to sit on the lounge chair and look out at the waves that the ship formed. I don't know if lounge chairs in the back have changed. Just be warned that people sometimes complain about the noise at the back of the ship. For us, it puts us to sleep better and we actually don't notice it most of the time.

We also don't really get sea sick. If you get sea sick, the rooms toward the middle of the ship are what you should look at.

We have cruised in Dream 7558 twice and loved the location! Midship, starboard (with a great view of Castaway Cay while in port there) and convenient to two sets of elevators. There are two of us in my family who are prone to motion sickness, and we did use meclizine "just in case", but really seemed to do well with the midship location.

Also, we watched the fireworks and the pre-show from the top deck. That was a great show.. both times!

:)

This is very subjective. Personally, I prefer deck 10 because we spend most of the time on the upper decks and it is often much easier to walk up/down the single flight of stairs to deck 11 than to wait for an elevator. Also, going down, the elevators are usually near empty on deck 10 and gradually fill up, especially near dinner or show time.

The two negatives, people usually mention for deck 10, is noise from above and the overhang above the verandah. Neither has ever bothered any of us the slightest, even for cabins where online reviews reported unbearable noise problems, and I am usually a very light sleeper.

As for the fireworks, it only lasts a few minutes and, personally, I think it is much nicer to view it from the less crowded areas of deck 12, though I also agree with maribeau that the show is well worth seeing. Proximity to elevators and areas that you visit most often, as well as potential motion sickness considerations, would be far more important to me. I would love to stay in one of the aft extended balcony rooms some day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter