Help understanding vacation rental locations

MommyBryn

DIS Veteran
So we're trying to plan our next big trip, and we did the Grand Villa thing last time (AMAZING!!!). This time we need a house as we're doing more off-site and we have 2 extra kids in our group now. I've been looking at a lot of vacation homes and I know the Windsor Hills area is highly recommended on here, but my question this time is how to figure out WHERE some of these homes are when searching (particularly NOT the WH homes, as those pins are usualy accurately placed), when the map just has them as a general location in which I'm pretty sure is just put there to get attention as when I map that area it's NOT homes (these are usually the houses closest to Disney property). What's the deal with this? (I'm new to vacation rentals, for the most part!) Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Are you asking where homes are in the Windsor Hills community, or how to find out where other (non-WH) homes are? I know there are several communities similar to WH around. We stayed at Windsor Palms, which was only a mile or so from WH.

Are you asking where homes are in the Windsor Hills community, or how to find out where other (non-WH) homes are? I know there are several communities similar to WH around. We stayed at Windsor Palms, which was only a mile or so from WH.

Sorry, I will specify that in my OP! I meant like on the map, when you search for vacation rentals (not from any company in particular, so like on VRBO, just as an example), some will show their pin in areas where that is obviously NOT the correct location, but since they don't list addresses, how does one find the actual location? A lot of them, especially the Windsor Hills/Palms ones we've looked at, do show accurate pins, but the ones that are giving me trouble seriously look like they just place them in/near Disney to attract attention.

Not specific to WDW, but a lot of times the reviews will mention how convenient a property is or have other clues. Sometimes there are also clues in the description or in the photos. If there's a photo of the front of the house, often I can find the exact house on Google maps street view based on the clues (I can be a bit obsessive though...).

But it's done for security reasons, to prevent break-ins I'd imagine.

I will try to open it on my phone to take a screenshot, but basically as an example, it's pinning a handful of homes to be located on the All-Star resort and/or parking lot. (that's just one example, I"ve seen them all over the place within Disney as I've searched over the last month) When you select the home and it usually gives you a map of the location, instead of an accurate pin, it gives the big blue "general area" circle in the area where it was pinned (which again isn't possible based on what's REALLY in that location on the map). Does that make sense?

Not specific to WDW, but a lot of times the reviews will mention how convenient a property is or have other clues. Sometimes there are also clues in the description or in the photos. If there's a photo of the front of the house, often I can find the exact house on Google maps street view based on the clues (I can be a bit obsessive though...).

But it's done for security reasons, to prevent break-ins I'd imagine.

Yes I've been able to do this too, when I can find the area the house is in and then see the street number. It's very helpful for someone on the other side of the country to get an idea of what I'm considering! LOL

I know exactly wat ur talking about. They add pins really close to disney instead of the actual location of the house in hopes u will book thinkn its close to disney. Ive had the best luck with flip key. U can try the following to help get an accurate location. Email the actual owner and ask for specific location and address, read the reviews cause alot of times there is mention of the location, use google maps or earth to verify location, look at the house pics and u might see the house number addy and do a google search. Go with homes that have excellent reviews as their going to have the most accurate information and location. Good luck

I've used VRBO and HomeAway a lot and I've never seen that. Can you post a link so that we can see what you're talking about?

Same here. We've probably booked 20 different trips with VRBO and never had that as an issue. On occasion it may not pin it to precisely where on the street it is, but it's always the right neighborhood/community and right street.

We haven't stayed at WH, but based on all the love it gets here, we looked hard at it. It looks fine, but I don't really see it as any better than any of dozens or hundreds of other places nearby. We always stay right along the Rt 192 corridor, as there are countless gated rental communities there. They are all in close proximity to WDW.

Sorry, I will specify that in my OP! I meant like on the map, when you search for vacation rentals (not from any company in particular, so like on VRBO, just as an example), some will show their pin in areas where that is obviously NOT the correct location, but since they don't list addresses, how does one find the actual location? A lot of them, especially the Windsor Hills/Palms ones we've looked at, do show accurate pins, but the ones that are giving me trouble seriously look like they just place them in/near Disney to attract attention.

Here is a link where you can select the community and it will show it on a map:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/villa-map.php

Most places do not give you the address until you get a contract.

I would try to find places that list specifically what 'community' they are in. If they list the specific community then you can google search that community and see where it's at. I had a harder time finding where places 'are at' on AirBnB then VBRO. That being said we went with Vacation By the Mouse because instead of putting 1/2 the money down it's a $200 deposit and if you have to cancel at least 35 days before then you only lose the deposit. DH has a bunch of older people in his family(like 90's) so we need to be able to cancel.

I know exactly wat ur talking about. They add pins really close to disney instead of the actual location of the house in hopes u will book thinkn its close to disney. Ive had the best luck with flip key. U can try the following to help get an accurate location. Email the actual owner and ask for specific location and address, read the reviews cause alot of times there is mention of the location, use google maps or earth to verify location, look at the house pics and u might see the house number addy and do a google search. Go with homes that have excellent reviews as their going to have the most accurate information and location. Good luck

Yes, this is EXACTLY what I'm referring to.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter