Help us with motion sickness rides

The day we arrive we have an early flight unless SW changes it so figure to get to PB resort by 11 am and have lunch at City Walk before heading to either IOA or US. We plan to put the patch on when we get to the hotel. Should we try FJ and Simpsons that afternoon/evening or wait until the next day so will be almost 24 hours with it on or does it not matter? Or do we need to put the patch on the night before we leave?

I've learned that my body can only take scopolamine for two days max, and then I'm just so thirsty/dry-mouthed I'm miserable in a different way. But it affects everyone differently. As a motion sickness prone person, I'd probably put the patch on before breakfast of your first full day, have a light meal, and then do Forbidden Journey and see how you feel. I personally wouldn't be able to do Forbidden Journey after a day of traveling, but you may be different.

Or, if you're feeling good on your travel day, put on the patch around lunchtime before hitting the parks. I found with scopolamine that the first day with the patch was the day I felt the best and could do just about anything. Check the directions on the box, I think it's recommended you put it on about an hour before nausea-inducing activities. No need to put it on the night before though.

I'm a big fan of the patch. I've had some minor side effects slightly blurry vision, dry mouth, minor dizziness after taking off the last patch (all on separate occasions)

I had the blurry vision a few times right after putting on the first patch so I started putting the patch on the night before our first park day (or cruise day). I figured the early side effects could happen when I am sleeping ;).

Our trip 2 weeks ago, I forgot about the patch and put it on the morning of our first park day. No side effects.

For the last patch, I now leave it on for a few days after the trip (beyond the 3 'effective' days.) My (very unscientific) theory is that the dizziness was caused by removing the patch while it still was 'dispensing'. By leaving it on, I let it slowly wind down. One way or another, I haven't had the post-patch dizziness since I've been doing this.

We just got back Sunday. My son and I get really sick from the screen rides normally. We used Dramamine and the Relief Band this trip. I believe it did help. I was able to ride Kong, Hagrids, Velocicoaster, Gringotts with no problems. I would not have been able to before. My son rode all of those plus Mummy (Mummy bothered me a little). We skipped Forbidden Journey, Simpsons and Minions. We also didn't do Hulk and RRR after hearing they can be rough rides. I think it depends on what kinds of rides bother you.

ETA: Spiderman got me. The spinning with the screens, I think. Normally, I would have had to lie down, but I was able to carry on and the queasiness didn't last long.

Last edited:
Shrek, Despicable me and I believe Fallon all have non moving seats. So essentially you watch the movie (with or without it’s respectful 3D glasses). My aunt really enjoyed this option as she doesn’t do well on various rides.

FYI: Do not use a scopolamine patch if you have glaucoma, it can increase intraocular pressure. (We always asked our patients this before putting one on prior to surgery.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter