Help w/Cabin Choice -Cat.7 or 8,9?

ReneeMoss

Mouseketeer
We have been on the Magic 7-Day and the Wonder 3-day - both times in a Cat. 7 Nav.Veranda. (sans children). We loved Deck 5 and Deck 6 was good too! We are now planning Aug. 23 2003 and will be cruising w/Grandson age. 12 I'd love to be able to save my Vacation Club points and book just an outside cabin - but am wondering if I will be "penny wise and pound foolish". The booklet says "Porthole" - but another message board poster mentioned Cabin #2566 as having a large window? I assume Cabin #2566 to be a Cat. 9? Also, snce we will be cruising in August, with the posability of "weather", perhaps the lower Deck 2 would be more stable? I'd appreciate anyone's expert opinions? We had AFT cabins on our previous Disney Cruises, and although we are experienced cruisers and didn't mind the motion, I think that the Disney Ships have a bit more "motion" than other larger ships we've been on. (Princess, RCCL etc.) - with our grandson and his first cruise experience, I'd like to have the LEAST chance of "motion" and I think mid-ships and a lower deck would do better. The outside cabins (Cat. 8, & cat. 9) seem to be all the same size?, except for the Veranda addition in Cat. 7 - and the Navigator's Veranda is so small, and enclosed, I don't think it is worth the extra for our budget. Thanks for your help with all this!

Hi Renee! The Cat. 8s and 9s are exactly the same size as the 5, 6 and 7s, except for the verandah. They all have LARGE porthole windows, except for the Cat. 9s on Deck 1. Those have two smaller porthole windows.

Although I definitey prefer a verandah (a full one, not the Navigator's) I have sailed in a Cat. 9 and it was fine too! :)

Good luck deciding! :)

Renee

My family sailed in a category nine on our first DC and had a wonderful time. As a matter of fact we are sailing (four days) in a category 9 September 2003. You will not believe the size of the port hole. It looks more like a picture window.

DH and I sailed some years ago on the Big Red Boat with a port hole. That one is no comparison to the one on the Wonder.

I will say that having a veranda is so nice when you travel with a child. Our DS is almost ten and we have had a veranda twice and will have one again in a month. It is great to be able to go outside late in the evening and have a glass of wine while he winds down watching a movie. Having a third person does make the room much smaller and you may want some adult time. We are DVC members too and what we do is pay for one adult in cash and the child and other adult with points.

Thanks all for your helpful comments.....We will be on the Wonder Nov 14 and will check out the staterooms and make a decision. Leaning toward the Cat. 9 - with the On-Board discounted points - it will be a big savings and we can save extra points toward another cruise next year!

Cat 10 w/an obstructed window! Secret porthole room on deck 5. I couldnt reserve at our 11month DVC member window because they were all supposedly taken but a few months later one opened up and I grabbed it.

If you go with a category 9, be sure to check out Dave from Marietta's noisy room list. I didn't and I wish that I had. We were in a category 9 (room 2632) that was VERY noisy. We hardly slept at all.

i second that why not go Cat 10 on deck fivre one of the secret porthole rooms , u could save even more...
all u have to do is ask for cat 10 on deck 5 if there r no rooms aval. on that deck than , sorry the secret porthole rooms r taken
peter

The only thing that troubles me about the "secret Porthole" cabins on Deck 5 is that they are so forward. Since we are going late August - we might run into weather and I think I'd be better off down on Deck 2 and midships. I love the Disney ships - but I must say I feel more motion on both the Magic and the Wonder than I do when cruising on other lines/ships. I'd rather book midships or at least aft.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter