HELP w getting to Volcano Bay

DisFam95

DIS Veteran
We're new locals and was about to drive my big kids to VB for the day but just learned there's no direct route and bus at CW is required? Any details on where exactly? Guess I'll have to drive over and park and find it with them otherwise.

Edit to add -
We headed over to figure it out. Followed signs for VB. I was told by the VB parking (which I got stuck in that line) to exit and look for the Uber/Ride share/Guest drop off area. Easy enough to loop around and find that. That took me to a garage rooftop with a giant maze of metal barricades with the only signage of blue/green/red/yellow/purple etc. No idea what any of that means. I looped through and found a "guest drop off" and saw people w swimsuits and beach towels so my kids just followed them.

Big mistake. I saw them on life360 almost walking into IoA and called him. He said he was following another family w swimsuits. I told him lots of people wear swimsuits to theme parks so not the best plan.

Can anyone tell me the process of what should have happened from that guest drop rooftop to get to VB? He said he saw signs "Guest Entrance" and that took him to City Walk through the entire security process. I think that meant theme park guest entrance not VB. Are there any signage that says to VB busses that he missed?

What a mess. Learning is fun.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, no direct, as I think only handicap parking available for VB access from a parking garage. There should be signs in the parking garage as to where to park and then where to wait for VB bus. Might want to ask when you stop to enter the parking garage.

Hope they found it by now. There must be overhead signage they missed to find the VB shuttle. Last time I parked in the garage, I believe the shuttle buses were down the escalator before you would go through the city walk security. This is also the cabana bay shuttle area. It’s been a few years so I’m not sure what may have changed. (This area used to be guest drop off area and also taxi area but I think that changed when they set up the rideshare area.)

Last edited:
We did the same thing when trying to drop my DH and son off there. I was headed to Wal-Mart so thought I'd just drop them off. they directed me to the uber/drop off which was the top of the parking garage. no one there and nothing but a maze of cones. We never did figure out where they were supposed to go.

I recently dropped off family members for Volcano Bay. Since I had an annual pass w/free parking, I was able to drop them off at the Volcano Bay parking area where the shuttles pick up. It was set up on the 1st floor of the Spiderman section of the parking garage. I am not sure which garage the rooftop drop off is located, but following the signs for guest entrance should have taken them down to the 3rd floor/security level. That connects the parking garages. Since the VB shuttle is in the garage area and outside of security, there shouldn't be a need to go through security lines there. There should have been signs for Volcano Bay transportation which is at Spiderman. That area is so confusing and I don't believe it is very clear how to get to Volcano Bay.

Yes, no direct, as I think only handicap parking available for VB access from a parking garage. There should be signs in the parking garage as to where to park and then where to wait for VB bus. Might want to ask when you stop to enter the parking garage.
problem is I wasn't parking - I was dropping them off. They messed up by trusting "the swimsuit family" was going to Volcano Bay and not just park attire for wet rides/sweat. There's zero employees anywhere to ask a question on the rooftop. Just a giant rooftop maze of unknown color coded rows. They made it eventually but there has to be better way.

I recently dropped off family members for Volcano Bay. Since I had an annual pass w/free parking, I was able to drop them off at the Volcano Bay parking area where the shuttles pick up. It was set up on the 1st floor of the Spiderman section of the parking garage. I am not sure which garage the rooftop drop off is located, but following the signs for guest entrance should have taken them down to the 3rd floor/security level. That connects the parking garages. Since the VB shuttle is in the garage area and outside of security, there shouldn't be a need to go through security lines there. There should have been signs for Volcano Bay transportation which is at Spiderman. That area is so confusing and I don't believe it is very clear how to get to Volcano Bay.

I have an AP w free parking too. I contemplated going in and parking and walking with them. My mistake - I saw a nice big bus drop zone with a bunch of VB busses and the uber/guest drop sign so we went ahead up to the rooftop and I pointed to where the busses were right below but apparently I learned later that was only for resort busses and they needed to go INTO the garage. But they followed the wrong swimsuit family toward IoA! They finally made it - LOL.

So next time do you think it's easier that I just enter the parking garage? and they hop out there somewhere? Thanks!

Pick up should be really fun
And can you choose which garage you enter? Do they have names? I'm used to Disney where you choose one of 2 colors to enter etc. And which garage is the VB one.

edited to add - I found this info.

Getting to Volcano Bay (if staying off-site)
Even though Volcano Bay is on the other side of the resort, guests who are driving in to Universal will still park in the central parking garages. As you approach the toll plaza, keep an eye out for signs to the dedicated Volcano Bay parking area on the first level of the garage. After you park, follow the crowd and even more signs for the complimentary shuttle over to the water park.

So my question is why park (and pay) here and ride the shuttle vs just going to VB and park there? Or is this parking area just an AP perk area?

Thanks - from a newbie!

Last edited:
can you drop them off at cabana bay? or is there a badge gate to use that entrance, I forget?

Pick up should be really fun

And can you choose which garage you enter? Do they have names? I'm used to Disney where you choose one of 2 colors to enter etc. And which garage is the VB one.

edited to add - I found this info.

Getting to Volcano Bay (if staying off-site)
Even though Volcano Bay is on the other side of the resort, guests who are driving in to Universal will still park in the central parking garages. As you approach the toll plaza, keep an eye out for signs to the dedicated Volcano Bay parking area on the first level of the garage. After you park, follow the crowd and even more signs for the complimentary shuttle over to the water park.

So my question is why park (and pay) here and ride the shuttle vs just going to VB and park there? Or is this parking area just an AP perk area?

Thanks - from a newbie!

There is no general parking at Volcano Bay, not even for AP holders. That description was all about the main Universal garage. For going home, perhaps have them take a shuttle from VB to Royal Pacific or another resort and pick them up there instead.
can you drop them off at cabana bay? or is there a badge gate to use that entrance, I forget?
That was an entrance that checked your CB room keys, at least pre-covid. They might be able to walk to Cabana Bay after and get picked up there.

I've been told so many different things its crazy. Had someone who apparently does this all the time do the Cabana Bay thing. Google maps does not show any gated entry to CB so I'm not sure what the whole room key showing is about. Can't I just drive in and drop them in the parking lot in front of the hotel and they walk the 5 minutes? Not sure where a room key would be checked based on google maps. Or is there some 'through the hotel" entrance.

Apparently today I followed signs to theme park and VB parking and veered off some ramp from Hollywood Way before Universal and was taken to a different entrance so thought it was a separate lot but after checking maps it looks just a south entrance to the same garage complex. Not sure if one is better or takes you to a different side.

Still don't; know how I'm getting my kids back tonight LOL besides maneuvering through a maze of uber pick ups - kill me know. I might just go park in the main garage and try and find the bus zone.

next time should be easier right :goodvibes

I've been told so many different things its crazy. Had someone who apparently does this all the time do the Cabana Bay thing. Google maps does not show any gated entry to CB so I'm not sure what the whole room key showing is about. Can't I just drive in and drop them in the parking lot in front of the hotel and they walk the 5 minutes? Not sure where a room key would be checked based on google maps. Or is there some 'through the hotel" entrance.

Apparently today I followed signs to theme park and VB parking and veered off some ramp from Hollywood Way before Universal and was taken to a different entrance so thought it was a separate lot but after checking maps it looks just a south entrance to the same garage complex. Not sure if one is better or takes you to a different side.

Still don't; know how I'm getting my kids back tonight LOL besides maneuvering through a maze of uber pick ups - kill me know. I might just go park in the main garage and try and find the bus zone.

next time should be easier right :goodvibes
Tell them to shuttle to a resort instead of city walk garages. It is much easier for you to drive up to a resort to get them.

I have walked from CBBR resort to VB many times pre-covid, yes, there is a separate security entrance and they did check for room keys to CB. Otherwise everyone would be doing it!

So next time do you think it's easier that I just enter the parking garage? and they hop out there somewhere?

If you have an annual pass w/parking, I would just park at the Spiderman parking lot and wait for them. I just told the gate I was going to Volcano Bay. They send you to the Volcano Bay section of the Garage where the bus/shuttle picks up and drops off. I ended up in Cat in the Hat, which was just next to Spiderman. I texted my group where I was parked and they found my car.

Tell them to shuttle to a resort instead of city walk garages. It is much easier for you to drive up to a resort to get them.

I have walked from CBBR resort to VB many times pre-covid, yes, there is a separate security entrance and they did check for room keys to CB. Otherwise everyone would be doing it!
Do you know if they scan CB room keys or do they just look at them? I have room keys from when I checked out a couple days ago and the front desk staff told me I could pay the visitors parking rate to be able to park at CB and walk over to VB. Seems to me like it would work except for the possibility of them scanning room cards.

We're not in any way locals. We'll be driving to VB from the villa we're staying in. Is there just regular parking for VB, and is it well sign-posted to get to?

Do you know if they scan CB room keys or do they just look at them? I have room keys from when I checked out a couple days ago and the front desk staff told me I could pay the visitors parking rate to be able to park at CB and walk over to VB. Seems to me like it would work except for the possibility of them scanning room cards.
They didn't scan them but I think they can see the date, so that may not work. Don't know how closely they check the date.
We're not in any way locals. We'll be driving to VB from the villa we're staying in. Is there just regular parking for VB, and is it well sign-posted to get to?
There is signage in the regular Universal garage area as to where to park for the VB shuttle. There is no parking at Volcano Bay itself. I drove over last year when I was offsite and found it OK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter