help! What would you do?

:grouphug:I am so sorry for your loss :grouphug:

I say, GO, have a GREAT time, EAT, SMILE, Enjoy the trip.. and recall all those past great times.....I have a sneaking feeling that your trip will be quite MAGICAL for you....:cloud9:
Again, so sorry about your mom...as one "Disney Person" to another, yeah, you are so right...some people just don't get it :rotfl: but there's Plenty that do ;)

I have a feeling there will be something extra with this trip, my mom will be with me in every sense of pixie dust

It's so tough losing your Mom, I'm sorry for your loss.

And I agree with everyone else. Go and have a great time. I don't think 6 days are too many. You can do something different such as watercraft, miniature golf, spa, Segway Tour or other tour--there's more than just the parks. But just enjoy yourself. Have a great time!

Oh, the spa sounds wonderful!!!:goodvibes have you ever gone?

My solo trips are typically 5 nights... and when it's time to come home I always wish they were longer! :lmao: So I definitely think you will find more than enough to entertain you for 6 days :cloud9:

BTW I have also done the deluxe dining as a solo... makes it easier to do the signitures... and I always get such wonderful and attentive service :goodvibes

I'm so sorry for your loss but what a special way to celebrate your mom and what she has meant in your life :goodvibes

I feel when dining alone I will be able to form connections much more with the servers and learn more about my options:goodvibes

I am so so sorry for your loss. I hope you decide to go and enjoy yourself. Whatever time frame you decide on will be great!! Just go and have a great time!! You deserve it!! :goodvibes
:hug: thank you

I appreciate all of your input! woo hoo!!

I am sorry to hear about your mother. I feel the same way about mine. I'm sure your mother would want you to have a great trip and pamper yourself!

Okay, so I found out that there was a PIN under my name when I called dis res! free quick service dining! Which altogether really only shaved approx 100 off, but hey! 100 off is 100 off! And, I figured POP is about 1000 cheaper than WL, which, is a HUGE difference. So, right now I have a reservation for six nights at POP. I stayed there earlier this year and loved it. Just enough room for sleeping and getting all the necessary things done. Also, the pool was big and bright.

And I will still lounge on the beach, probably at Poly now, on a night where I want to enjoy the hammock and sand

any ideas for the 4th? I know the parks will be PACKED and as of now I have
a 8:30 for Tusker house, and a 9:45 for Narcoosees to watch the fireworks from the windows in the restaurant

I'm terrified of the crowds at EPCOT and MK, but I know Narcoosees and La Hacidenda have the best views for fireworks. Decisions, decisions

So sorry for your loss! I'm glad you are going!!!! Pop is great and uplifting if you are a bit blue! And a night on the beach at the Poly sounds perfect! For your other decisions I say go with your heart and treat yourself!!! This is a time for healing!!!!! :hug:

I'm so sorry for the loss of your mom, best friend and travel buddy! Don't listen to the non-disers. They just don't get it. Your mom got it and what a better way to celebrate her life and her love than to go to the one place that brings back wonderful memories of her! Go, splurge and celebrate the love you have for her! She'll be with you in spirit! It may be a hard trip to take, but a necessary trip for you to take. Lots of hugs being sent your way!

I am sorry to hear about your loss!!!

As A Disney person to another, You should go and have a great time, and I agree with you, your mom will be with you throughout your trip, and even beyond the trip. Hope you have a great time at Disney.

Okay, so I found out that there was a PIN under my name when I called dis res! free quick service dining! Which altogether really only shaved approx 100 off, but hey! 100 off is 100 off! And, I figured POP is about 1000 cheaper than WL, which, is a HUGE difference. So, right now I have a reservation for six nights at POP. I stayed there earlier this year and loved it. Just enough room for sleeping and getting all the necessary things done. Also, the pool was big and bright.

And I will still lounge on the beach, probably at Poly now, on a night where I want to enjoy the hammock and sand

any ideas for the 4th? I know the parks will be PACKED and as of now I have
a 8:30 for Tusker house, and a 9:45 for Narcoosees to watch the fireworks from the windows in the restaurant

I'm terrified of the crowds at EPCOT and MK, but I know Narcoosees and La Hacidenda have the best views for fireworks. Decisions, decisions

We went to MK over the 4th last year. MK in the morning and afternoon were fine, but that evening was a madhouse. If you do MK, leave before 6pm and enjoy the fireworks at the Poly or make dinner ressies at the California Grill to view the fireworks. Cali Grill would be the best viewing spot!

I get it! Your plans are a beautiful way to honor your mom and celebrate her life. The last vacation I ever took with my dad was to Disney World in July 1976. He died that winter, when I was nine years old. And every trip I have taken to Disney World since, he has been with me. I feel it.

I was going to suggest POP. You made a wise choice. The Fourth of July fireworks are the BEST! Narcoossee's would be a wonderful place to enjoy them. Or even venture into the Magic Kingdom. You will not have to worry about being separated from your party in the crowds, and there will be no hurry to leave after they are over. You can just enjoy them, and then, look in the gift shops and enjoy the magic after the hoopla.

Best wishes! Oh, and a special request! Please think about doing a trip report when you return home. You could create something really beautiful. Will you take a camera with you? :goodvibes

I am so sorry about your loss. I too lost my best friend my mom on january 28. My mom always wanted to take the grandkids to disney and on the cruise, but never had the money. So me and my sister, who have never been closer, are taking our kids to disney this dec in honor of her. We can't wait. Have a great time and pamper yourself.

Okay, here's my story

I lost my mother on February 20th, 2011. She was my best friend, my travel buddy & the only person who understood and thoroughly encouraged my love for Disney (she also shared that love) So, for her birthday, July 2nd, I was planning on celebrating her life in the one place I knew felt right, Disney World.

My problem: I will be going solo and I have a hard time validating the money I spend on myself. I know I need this and deserve it, and can afford, but I always feel guilty (you know, oh well that could pay for bills, blah blah blah)

So here is what I was thinking, this will be my first ever big girl solo trip"
Wilderness Lodge 6/29-7/5 The tricky part is the 4th. The cost will be 2,370. 81 it will include the DxLdining, which I am absolutely for sure about (the food, of course).

But, I have been thinking maybe six nights is too long (even though I have already planned what I would do each day, there are four parks, a water park I haven't been to and of course, I would be staying at WL so I would need a day for the pool and beach)
But- four nights would be 1,679 at WL (7/1-7/5) but since that is over a holiday, I feel that wouldn't be enough time.

Any input or ideas? Thank you!:goodvibes

First of all, I'm so sorry for your loss!!! I think your trip is a wonderful idea and I think it will be very healing for you.

If you can afford to do it, I think you should go for the 6 days at WL (your first choice). I think if you take your 2nd choice, you'll feel rushed and that would defy what it is you're trying to accomplish. In a way, you're trying to say goodbye to your mom and I think you should do that at a more leisurely pace.

I lost my father two days before Christmas. Then it snowed 6 inches in eastern North Carolina.......it NEVER does that. We had to wait until Dec. 28th to bury him due to the holidays and the snow. I came home (2 hours away) that night and the next day I was sitting around being miserable. I picked up my computer and logged on to the Disboards. Fifteen minutes later I had booked a trip for the next day through Jan. 2. I called my DH and told my two sons to pack. We were leaving the next day for Disney! A lot of people wouldn't understand this, but the people on the Disboards did.:goodvibes

On New Years' Day we had the most wonderful dinner at California Grill and ordered the most expensive bottle of champagne I've ever had and toasted the exceptional life that my father lived. My family will always remember it and it was completely in honor of my father. Go and have a very special trip.:hug:

My heart goes out to you. I lost my dad (my best friend) on November 14th 2010, and had our first family trip booked and were set to depart on November 26th. I struggled if we should go as well, and posted a thread here. Many wonderful Disers responded and we took their advice and went. I think you should do the same and have a great time doing something you both loved so much.

I am sorry about the loss of your mother.

I just did my first solo trip in Feb at WL:lovestruc. I only went for a long weekend as I am a stay at home mom and it was my getaway. If you can afford to go for the week then I would do it! Your mother would want you to go and have fun. Life is short and while we are here we need to enjoy every moment. Don't second guess going solo or spending the money if you have it.

They are running summer specials so make sure you price your trip with them!

I lost my father two days before Christmas. Then it snowed 6 inches in eastern North Carolina.......it NEVER does that. We had to wait until Dec. 28th to bury him due to the holidays and the snow. I came home (2 hours away) that night and the next day I was sitting around being miserable. I picked up my computer and logged on to the Disboards. Fifteen minutes later I had booked a trip for the next day through Jan. 2. I called my DH and told my two sons to pack. We were leaving the next day for Disney! A lot of people wouldn't understand this, but the people on the Disboards did.:goodvibes

On New Years' Day we had the most wonderful dinner at California Grill and ordered the most expensive bottle of champagne I've ever had and toasted the exceptional life that my father lived. My family will always remember it and it was completely in honor of my father. Go and have a very special trip.:hug:

good for you, I hope you had some of the most amazing memories and I know your father was with you, every foot step and every ounce of pixie dust :hug::angel:

My heart goes out to you. I lost my dad (my best friend) on November 14th 2010, and had our first family trip booked and were set to depart on November 26th. I struggled if we should go as well, and posted a thread here. Many wonderful Disers responded and we took their advice and went. I think you should do the same and have a great time doing something you both loved so much.

I'm glad you went. My ma wanted to take a trip in May (after we had canceled our Dec and Jan trips because of her illness) but I can't afford it that soon. So, July seems fitting. Celebrating her life and what life she's given me:hug:

I am sorry about the loss of your mother.

I just did my first solo trip in Feb at WL:lovestruc. I only went for a long weekend as I am a stay at home mom and it was my getaway. If you can afford to go for the week then I would do it! Your mother would want you to go and have fun. Life is short and while we are here we need to enjoy every moment. Don't second guess going solo or spending the money if you have it.

They are running summer specials so make sure you price your trip with them!

Thank you!:hug: I'm glad you were able to get away, moms deserve the world, literally!

so now I am stuck

I just got a new job (because I moved shortly after my mother's passing) and I was talking with my boss last night. She's upset that I'm "already" wanting to take a vacation. I expressed to her the reason and she seemed to be a bit more understanding but she told me it would have to be within days she can see be accommodating to her. I can budge my travel dates back a bit so they don't interrfere with the fourth (as many people prefer to have that day off, I don't mind working especially!!!! If i see all the fireworks at disney the week before!)

so actually, it would make my mom's birthday the LAST night of the trip
so I think that would make it even MORE special

I'd still do six nights, just bump up the arrival date

any opinions?

DH and I took our kids to Disneyland the day after his father died.

DH's parents lived in southern California and his father had been on hospice care. We flew out to be with him in his final days.

The morning after his father died my husband woke up and decided we were taking the kids (DD was 3 and DS was 2 at the time) to Disneyland.

We had a beautiful day celebrating his fathers life. His father used to take him to Disneyland on school holidays (including Christmas Day way back in the 60's!) so it was a place that brought back strong and wonderful memories.

Despite our many trips to Disney (both before and since that day) that one day stands out above all others.

Have a wonderful time and celebrate both your life and your mothers life!

I spent a lot of time at Disney with my parents. The last time I ever saw my dad was a day we spent at the Magic Kingdom. I have a great picture of us from that day. I knew he was sick, but his death was still a shock.

From that point, I took my mom to Disney a lot. My stepmother graciously gave my dad's new AP to my mom and Guest Services was happy to give it to my mom. We spent a lot of time there together. She had cancer at the time. She was in a wheelchair, but we always had a ton of fun.

Now, when I take my own children almost 20 years later, I can tell them about all the fun we had and all the great meals we shared. It is a way for me to connect them to their grandparents they never knew.

In just a few short days, my middle daughter will be dancing at Disney with her studio's performing company. My stepmother is joining us for this. I can still share my love of Disney with her. :)

Go!!! Enjoy and relive all the fun you had with your mom :)

Kelly in NC

I spent a lot of time at Disney with my parents. The last time I ever saw my dad was a day we spent at the Magic Kingdom. I have a great picture of us from that day. I knew he was sick, but his death was still a shock.

From that point, I took my mom to Disney a lot. My stepmother graciously gave my dad's new AP to my mom and Guest Services was happy to give it to my mom. We spent a lot of time there together. She had cancer at the time. She was in a wheelchair, but we always had a ton of fun.

Now, when I take my own children almost 20 years later, I can tell them about all the fun we had and all the great meals we shared. It is a way for me to connect them to their grandparents they never knew.

In just a few short days, my middle daughter will be dancing at Disney with her studio's performing company. My stepmother is joining us for this. I can still share my love of Disney with her. :)

Go!!! Enjoy and relive all the fun you had with your mom :)

Kelly in NC

that is so sweet, you got tears in my eyes:hug:
good luck to your daughter! and keep making those memories

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter