Help with AK itinerary

westminster

Earning My Ears
I could use some advice on our AK itinerary. We have most of the major attractions covered but there’s a lot of other stuff we want to do but can’t fit in. This will be our family’s first time in Disney (kids 7 and 9) and we only have one day at AK on a high crowd 9-8 day.

I’m not sure which of these we should keep or consider cutting out:
-Tusker House Lunch with ROL package (our only ADR for the day, but our fourth character meal of the vacation)
-Rivers of Light (this is only nighttime show we have planned in addition to HEA)
-Rafiki Planet Watch/Animation Experience (looks like this will suck up a good two hours but the kids really want to do it)
-Lion King and/or Finding Nemo (kids not into live shows but sounds cool to me)
-Walking around Avatar at night (how long should we allot and can we fit it in after ROL?)
-We also allotted time for walking Gorilla Falls, Jungle Trek, and Discovery Trails but maybe we could drop one of these.

Would love to hear from you pros which you would either prioritize or consider cutting out? Thanks!

One thing to know about AK is that the park is a lot on the feet. It feels like everything is very spread out and it gets hot quick, more than other parks. Doing all 3 trails is ambitious to say the least. I would pick one to do, one you would like to do if you are up to it, and cut one.

I also feel that RoL is the least interesting show compared to HEA, Fantasmic, and the old Epcot show. Idk when you are going, so the RoL could be better than the Epcot show. I wouldn't prioritize it personally, but if it seems awesome to you then go for it! Flame Tree and Satu'li Canteen are great quicker food alternatives than Tusker House, but Tusker is phenomenal. I would pick Lion King over Nemo personally. Im not a big musical person and its a 45 minute puppeteer musical. Really talented show, not taking that away from them, but even the musical lovers in our party felt a little bored with it. Lion King is shorter, more dynamic with singing, characters, gymnasts, and more.

Regardless, the major takeaway is you won't be able to do everything even if you are the only people in the park. Do what's most important to you, be ready to adjust on the fly due to various occurances, and think about what you are doing, not what you're missing out on. If it helps, try to leave the kids out of the minute details of the plan. Surprise them with what's going on when possible, it helps reduce potential disappointments.

Both Lion King and Finding Nemo are wonderful shows. If the kids aren't into live shows, I would prioritze Lion King over Nemo, its got more going on.
You can definitely walk around Avatar after Rivers of Light. It should probably only take about 15 minutes, maybe a little longer if you want to stop for a picture or two and there is a line for the photographer.

This is just my opinion and others will have theirs, but I don't think your plan is overly ambitious. I would skip the Nemo Show, but that's just me. Festival of the Lion King is a great show, if you can fit it in. It runs every hour, on the hour. Walking through Pandora at night will take as long or as short as you want it to. It is not a large area, so to walk through and see it won't take a big bite of time. I would, as PP stated, choose your favorite trail and do that. If you have time later, you can add on the others. Tusker House is a Must Do for our family because we love seeing the characters in their Safari-wear. No one can rock a Pith Helmut like Miss Daisy! Don't overburden yourself worrying about time. AK is a very doable park. It is large and takes a toll on the feet, but truly a park that can be seen in a day. I hope you have a great time.

I think both shows are great, but I wonder if your kids are into one more than the other. We tend to go see one each time we go, mostly for a break out of the weather. When my son was younger he enjoyed LK more. It does depend on the time of year you are planning your trip. If it is during the summer and you are not leaving for a mid-day break, you may want the shows for the air conditioning alone :)

Thanks so much, super helpful responses - keep them coming! Since a few people asked when we were going, I’ll add that we’ll be there on Feb 21.

I’m not sure which of these we should keep or consider cutting out:
-Tusker House Lunch with ROL package (our only ADR for the day, but our fourth character meal of the vacation)
We finally ate here last year and we were incredibly disappointed. The food is really bland. I would ditch it

-Rivers of Light (this is only nighttime show we have planned in addition to HEA)

I liked it well enough, but I don't know that it's a must do

-Rafiki Planet Watch/Animation Experience (looks like this will suck up a good two hours but the kids really want to do it)

If the kids really want to do it, do it

-Lion King and/or Finding Nemo (kids not into live shows but sounds cool to me)

Festival of the Lion King is fantastic! Finding Nemo is pretty good, but not as good as FotLK

-Walking around Avatar at night (how long should we allot and can we fit it in after ROL?)

You can just do this on your way out of the park

-We also allotted time for walking Gorilla Falls, Jungle Trek, and Discovery Trails but maybe we could drop one of these.

The trails are pretty great and they don't need to take up that much time

My other thought would be that the food at many of the character dining resturants are not my favorite (Garden Grill breakfast is our exception-we typically finish and hop on Soarin as the park is opening). My son also never really cared for characters. So, for my family, 4 would be overkill. However, everyone does Disney differently.

We always make time to walk around the various trails. To us, that's part of the enjoyment and beauty to enjoy while at AK. The park and the trails are pretty spread out though so just make sure you plan it accordingly to where you're at. If you see a cast member at the trails, I'd encourage you to talk with them about the animals, particularly at the Discovery Trails. They can give you specific information about the birds, monkeys, etc. and really add to the experience. Lion King is a must do, truly a phenomenal show. I'd pass on Nemo though. We weren't overly impressed with Rafiki's Planet Watch. We enjoyed it, but we like walking the trails more. Still, if your kids want to do it, then I would make time for it. Overall, I think your plan sounds like a good one. AK has always been my girls' favorite park. I think it's important to take time to go on the trails and appreciate what the park has to offer that enhances the experience there.

I think 4 character meals is a lot for one trip unless your kids are really, really into meeting characters. They take a long time. I would cut Tusker House.

I like Lion King slightly more that Nemo but they are both great. Even if your kids aren't into shows, Lion King is really cool. There is always a lot going on and it moves quickly. Its a must-do for me.

If you don't have time for all the trails, the Gorilla Falls one is my least favorite and Maharajah Jungle Trek is my favorite.

Thanks all, this clarifies a lot for me. So we’ll prioritize Lion King over Nemo, do Rafiki so long as kids still want to, walk Pandora after ROL, and cut out one or two trails if need be. The only thing I’m still unsure about is the TH lunch since the advice is mixed, and that’s the one thing we actually do need to decide in advance if we’re going to cancel. I think the kids will be ok dropping it which will give us the time we need to fit in Lion King, but I had also been counting on the dining package to get a good seat for ROL without having to show up too early. How much earlier would we have to arrive for a good seat if we do standby instead of dining package, on a high crowd day?

I have never eaten at Tusker House but we LOVE Yak and Yeti. We saw RoL on our last trip ( late February) and literally got there when it started. We still had good seats. It’s not the most popular show at Disney and a lot of people skip it. Our family was mixed. Us girls loved it, thought it was beautiful. The guys were bored and say they won’t go back. We usually try to do both Nemo and FotLK. 1. We like them both 2. It gives us a chance to take a break and sit in some air conditioning. They are both very different but FotLK is our favorite of the 2. Rafikis planet watch is ok, but usually does take too long. We have done the trails on a cool day but if it’s too hot we try to skip them. AK is our favorite park, you will have a great time

Lion King show is great and I consider it a must-do. Definitely do Lion King over Nemo. My kids get bored during Nemo.
For prioritizing the trails, is there one that your kids would prefer? We love Maharajah Jungle Trek for the tigers (and bats). We rarely do Gorilla Falls. That would be great if your family is into gorillas, but I guess we're not. The meerkats are pretty cool on that trail though. You can do the trails as quick or as slow as you like. My kids aren't impressed with Discovery Trails.
Rivers of Light is our least favorite disney nighttime show by far, so I'd say to skip that especially if you're pressed for time. We like watching Awakenings on The Tree of Life much better. I do see ROL FP come up pretty often as an additional FP day-of.
Pandora is beautiful at night. Go back to walk around and take pics.
Let your kids do Rafiki Planet Watch if they want to. My kids love the small petting zoo there!
We don't do character meals, so no help with TH. We eat quick service.
Do you plan to do the Dinoland Playground? I think your kids will love it there. Check it out, even if it's only for 10-15 min.

Sorry, got sidetracked and just got back to revisiting this thread now. Yes to the Boneyard! I allotted 30 min for that.

Our kids do really want to see ROL. Is it also other people’s experience that we should be able to get good seats for ROL standby without too long of a wait? Or that we might be able to get same day FP? I saw a lot of threads saying you need to get there at least an hour in advance but it seems like that may no longer be the case? If not then I’m inclined to cancel our ROL package which will give us more breathing room to fit in Lion King.

Your plan seems very doable.
It really will depend on how your kids do.
It can be a lot of walking.
I would consider dropping Tusker house. Its very good, but you have done 3 other character meals, and it takes a lot of time. Satu'Li and Flametree are great QS options.
Lion King and Nemo are very good shows and I think your kids would enjoy them. Its also a nice break from walking.
Neither of the 3 trails you mentioned are extremely long adn you can spend as much or as little time there as you please.
RoL is my least favorite show. Its not bad, but even with the changes, it pales compared to the other evening shows. I think your kids might be bored.
Definitely walk around Pandora at night. With the lighting, its totally different than daytime.

You will definitely have time for all the trails. We always manage to get them in no matter how much time we have at the park. IF you have to cut something make it Nemo. It's a great show but Lion King is more animated.

As someone with Tusker House booked for our upcoming trip, I would vote to skip it for you. Not because it's bad but because you are short on time and doing other character meals. We did Rafiki on our last trip and while the kids loved it (this was pre-animation experience), it took up a huge chunk of our morning. Keep in mind that you'll have to wait for the train both ways.

You don't mention any of the other rides you have planned? Are planning to rope drop and then stay until close?

Yep, plan is to RD Navi and then stay until close. Our rough plan is:
Navi
Dinosaur
Everest (FP)
Boneyard/Fossil Fun
Pick up Wilderness Explorers
Safari (FP)
Tusker House lunch
Gorilla Falls
FOP (FP)
Rafiki Train/Animation/Conservation/Affection
Maharajah
Lion King
Discovery Island Trails
Flame Tree Barbecue dinner
ROL
Awakenings
Valley of Mo’ara

I notice you are doing a lot of walking back and forth across the park in your plan, and I'd warn against that. I haven't been to AK since 2011 and our girls were smaller (2 and 4, so we had the blessing/curse of a double stroller to deal with), but I STILL remember who brutal it was trekking that park in the sun. I'm pretty sure all 4 of us had at least one meltdown. :)

Anyway, we're trying again this year, but I'm trying my best to cluster the things we want to see in any given area together so we don't have to do too much back and forth. It gets tricky with FP's, I know!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter