Help with autistic child who outgrew highchair

stitch34

DIS Veteran
I really am desperate to find something to keep my son in his chair at restaurants. While it can be a struggle to get him in/out of certain styles of highchairs, it's doable. But after him getting stuck in one at Whispering Canyon Cafe back in November something else needs to be figured out.
He can sit nicely in a chair - sometimes. But toss in a buffett sitting across the room from him which he wants to keep running to, characters roaming about - um, yeah, so much for him sitting in the chair!

I've been looking online, and all I can find is for smaller toddlers, won't fit a 6 year old. anyone know of anything I can get, or rig up myself to keep him safe?We're going in early April, and time is running out.

This is just what I'm looking for - but unfortunately he's too large for it. He's 57 pounds.

http://www.jackaboo.com/babysit.html

we eat out all the time at home - and usually get a booth and block him in there, but there are so few restaurants at Disney with booths like that.

Anyone have any ideas? thanks so much!

You can strap him to his pushchair and bring that into the restaurant.

You can make your own version of the item you posted A harness for when he is in parks so he does not run off then switch the harness for a strap that fits around a chair. Someone with a strong sewing machine can sew on D rings on the sides then you could clip on a strap around the back of the chair.

I would suggest contacting that company and asking if they might be able to make one to your measurements. It looks like it just might mean longer straps.

Otherwise, if you can sew, you could buy one of these and alter it, try to use this one as a pattern to make one, try to alter a harness that fits to also work on a chair or find a seamstress in your area and see if they could make one.

Don't know if this will help you, but I've got a 12 year old autistic son. He was a runner, too. We found a few things that kept him put.

1. Ask the host/hostess for a table in as much as an out-of-the-way area as they can manage.

2. Bring an item that your autist obsesses over. For my son, he loves K'nex and his Rubics Cube and can play with either one for HOURS! Beware, though that that these items can be thrown if the stim is just too much.

3. My son is obsessed with certain shows on tv (Backyardagans, Wonderpets, Word Girl, etc.) We got him a video iPod with earphones that are comfortable for him (very important that you try different earphones to get ones that are comfortable!) We reward him for certain things by downloading a show for him. Then when we're at WDW we put him in his wheelchair (he has one that's like a big umbrella stroller), put on his headphones and hand him his iPod with a favorite show playing. This puts him in a physically comfortable and familiar place (his wheelchair) and cuts all sensory imput to his familiar sights and sounds. While we're in our hometown, we don't need the wheelchair for going out to dinner. We just bring the iPod and ask for an out-of-the-way table.

Perhaps some of these tips will help you. My big relevation came when my son got transferred from a general ed setting where he was running out of the classroom, running out of the cafeteria, running out of the school, digging under the fence at recess, etc. To a school for autists. In his new school the stim became more manageable for him and he stopped running away.

Good luck!

PS -- FWIW Before he got his own wheelchair, we rented one from WDW for the week. He didn't like it as much as he likes his own wheelchair, which is fitted to his size.

I am wondering if you can take a picture to a seamstress and get something made? What about a lap snack, that he has to hold on his lap? (it is weighted I am not sure where my OT got my sons...but I could find out.

OR, what about a Mickey that he has to hold? Not knowing your son, I am not sure what would work, I would maybe try a couple of things.

Good luck!

Michelle

We find that getting a booth whenever possible helps when it comes to keeping my DS from running away. ;)

Okay, as a special education teacher you quickly learn that if something can be used for one purpose, you can find a way to use it for another.

A tool often used with special needs kids on School buses are E-Z-On Harnesses. I have had my students refer to them as their parachute, since there is a little parachute on the front. If you get a harness, and the mount to be used for a wheelchair, you can use the wheelchair mount and attach it to the chair where you are eating.

Check out the manufacturers web site: www.ezonpro.com

look under the following for the vest
PRODUCTS --> FAMILY VEHICLE PRODUCTS --> NON-ADJUSTABLE VESTS

Look under the following for the mount that you could use to attach it to a chair
PRODUCTS --> MEDICAL TRANSPORT PRODUCTS --> WHEEL CHAIR MOUNT

It is a thought, one I have had on many occasions. I have wondered what to do with my DD7 at various times. The last time I put her in a highchair in a restaurant was a year ago. Oh how I have wished from time to time that she still fit in one. Just last month we had to leave a restaurant before we even managed to order our food due to her behaviors. Even squishing her between her mom and I in a booth does not work. :crowded: She just goes straight down to the foor and is out. If she had been in a highchair we could have stayed.

I sew. I can tell you, that Jackaboo harness wouldn't be brain surgery to make. ;) If that's the style you like, print out the web page and the "view instructions" page because it really shows the construction, and take it to an alterations shop, or if you know anyone that quilts, or if you have a local college with a theatre dept or a community theatre that will have a costume shop...

Having said that, it does look like a smaller company and as such, you could try emailing them for a custom harness. If they knew there was a market for larger sizes, they might be inspired to add to their collection.

I sew. I can tell you, that Jackaboo harness wouldn't be brain surgery to make. ;) If that's the style you like, print out the web page and the "view instructions" page because it really shows the construction, and take it to an alterations shop, or if you know anyone that quilts, or if you have a local college with a theatre dept or a community theatre that will have a costume shop...

Having said that, it does look like a smaller company and as such, you could try emailing them for a custom harness. If they knew there was a market for larger sizes, they might be inspired to add to their collection.
I sew too and that looked like it would be pretty easy to make.

Your suggestions made me think of another place that might help. If your school district has Home Economics (the old name) Classes that teach sewing, you might be able to have a student in one of those classes take it on as a project. Home Ec has a newer name - something like Family and Consumer Sciences (I should know because that is what my older sister teaches, but the name escapes me right now).

My Ds uses a luggage strap. I know it sounds odd but they are nice and wide and have a "click" type buckle and they are adjustable. We take one with us to ues in chairs and put the buckle in the back. If he doesnt need a harness this may work and they are not expensive at all. Good luck. If we are put in a booth we just ask for a chair and put DS on the end. It works for us. Hope it works for you!

My Ds uses a luggage strap. I know it sounds odd but they are nice and wide and have a "click" type buckle and they are adjustable. We take one with us to ues in chairs and put the buckle in the back. If he doesnt need a harness this may work and they are not expensive at all. Good luck. If we are put in a booth we just ask for a chair and put DS on the end. It works for us. Hope it works for you!
That's a good suggestion. Easy to find and inexpensive.
You could use 2 for more security.

Just a thought for the headphones if noises bother your little one. Sometimes things get loud and if that causes stimulation then you might want to consider that type of distraction anyway for those times as well. Just another thought. Good luck.:goodvibes

I was going to say, use a belt. A regular, pants belt (for an adult).

The best kind are the fabric kind that you can "slide adjust". I've gotten a few on some pants that I've purchased for myself. It's easy to carry (rolled up, doesn't take much room in a purse or backpack), and can be set up on any kind of chair.

Just call it a "seatbelt" and say it's for safety, just like in the car. Your child should not have too much of a problem with it. You can loop it around the back, and fasten it around the waist, or put it around the seat bottom and fasten it up around his upper thighs (might help with him trying to stand up in his seat).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter