• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help with booking an 8 passenger vehicle - not a full size van

Hemlock

DIS Veteran
is there a way to book a guaranteed 8 passenger vehicle. I usually book with Costco Car Rental and the Chevy Suburban shows that it seats 7/8. We only have 1 driver so 2 vehicles is not an option. I would be open to a full size van (seats 12) but they’re currently $2900 for 1 week 😱 as opposed to $600 for a Suburban (March 2023)

Not really, without booking either a 12/15 passenger van. Some minivans seat 8, some large and extra large SUV's seat 8 but you won't know which version you get until you get there. You're also challenged by travelling at a peak time at MCO, everything is going to be more expensive and in shorter supply. I would expand your search beyond Costco and try www.autoslash.com they will look across all rental companies and all publicly available rates to find the best deals.
The Suburban is available in both 7 and 8 passenger configurations, no telling which model you'll get, most rental companies have both on their lots, they get whichever the manufacturer had more of that year.

I've rented a lot of Tahoes, Suburbans, Expeditions over the years, and I'm going to say you are most likely (but not guaranteed) to get an 8-seater.

7-seater on these vehicles means there's captains chairs in the 2nd row instead of a bench, and a lot of brands actually charge more for that configuration. When I bought my own Expedition, we had to scour the province to find one in our desired colour and trim with the 7-seater configuration. Most are 8s.
Rental companies understandably don't add a bunch of options to their vehicles usually, and you're more likely to find one with a bench. I can't recall a single case where I've ended up with a 2nd-row passthrough.

Also since the booking is "... or similar" there'll almost always be something like a Nissan Armada in the row/class. The Armada only seems to offer 7-seater on trims that the rental companies wouldn't buy (like Midnight Edition, or an option on the Platinum). Most (99%?) rental Armadas will be 8-seaters. They just won't have a Suburban sized trunk.

21TDI_ARMb019-d.jpg

Every one I've ever rented has the captains chairs. When I bought my last 2 cars, a mini van and a yukon, almost all of them had captains chairs in the 2nd row. Also, fyi, unless you get a suburban, there won't be room for 8 people and all of their stuff. With all 3 rows in use, there is not very much room behind the 3rd row in most minivans, and I know the regular size yukon doesn't have a ton either. I had an odyssey and couldnt fit a folded double stroller or a cooler behind the 3rd row. Or really even 2 full size suitcases with the way the back row and the trunk door are angled.

Even if you go for the Armada or similar, there wouldn't be a guarantee that you'd get an Armada and not an Expedition or Tahoe.

Baggage is almost always the limiting factor in big vehicles. In almost all cases you get either the passengers or their stuff. The picture posted above illustrates the point perfectly. Those are not exactly huge people, but the guy in the middle of the back row has to sit with one shoulder in front of the shoulder of the guy next to him. The only cargo shown is two lacrosse sticks, where is the rest of their gear? Lacrosse players would have helmets, shoulder pads, gloves and elbow pads. In the picture we see two sticks, one helmet, one pair of gloves. Where in that thing are you putting even carryons for everyone, let alone actual luggage.

Baggage is almost always the limiting factor in big vehicles. In almost all cases you get either the passengers or their stuff. The picture posted above illustrates the point perfectly. Those are not exactly huge people, but the guy in the middle of the back row has to sit with one shoulder in front of the shoulder of the guy next to him. The only cargo shown is two lacrosse sticks, where is the rest of their gear? Lacrosse players would have helmets, shoulder pads, gloves and elbow pads. In the picture we see two sticks, one helmet, one pair of gloves. Where in that thing are you putting even carryons for everyone, let alone actual luggage.
Agree. I have a Yukon xl. If I had the middle bench seat I could fit 8 but I’d really have to Tetris the heck out of the luggage to get it all to fit. And probably put some stuff under the kids feet. And if you have car seats that makes it more challenging

Agree. I have a Yukon xl. If I had the middle bench seat I could fit 8 but I’d really have to Tetris the heck out of the luggage to get it all to fit. And probably put some stuff under the kids feet. And if you have car seats that makes it more challenging
I have a regular Yukon. If all my seats are taken, there’s barely room for a large grocery order in the back!

If you have that many people, the longer wheelbase SUV's like Suburban or Yukon XL will be necessary to have room behind the 3rd row for your luggage. Tahoe & Yukon are the shorter wheelbase versions and won't have any room for luggage. I think regardless of where you rent, they will all say 'or similiar vehicle' and don't let you pick an exact model. Tahoe & Suburban might hold the same number of people, but that isn't what matters to you. Each rental car company defines their vehicles differently so you might have to go the counter to get the exact model you prefer (assuming one is available).

Thanks to everyone that took the time to respond! I called Alamo directly and was able to book a chevy Suburban- they’ve assured me it will be an 8 seater 🤞

Thanks to everyone that took the time to respond! I called Alamo directly and was able to book a chevy Suburban- they’ve assured me it will be an 8 seater 🤞
How did this work out? I'm likely to be in the same situation next year where I will need a 7-8 passenger van. Problem is also fitting luggage. What was your experience - did you get the 8 passenger, and was there enough room for everyone and their belongings?

How did this work out? I'm likely to be in the same situation next year where I will need a 7-8 passenger van. Problem is also fitting luggage. What was your experience - did you get the 8 passenger, and was there enough room for everyone and their belongings?
I have used Turo twice in this situation. If you haven’t heard of it, it’s basically like AirBnB with cars. Since you are booking a specific vehicle, look to find one that seats 8. While we could split into two cars, we’d double our tolls and incur some pretty hefty parking fees (I paid about $200 more to have the Universal AP that includes parking, so someone else in the family would have to upgrade or pay $30/day to park).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter