Help with budgeting for 2 families and military discount?

My family only goes to Disney with the military discounts thanks to my dad and we looked into SOG but for me and my mom, it was always cheaper to stay at a moderate with the room discount than SOG because he's such a higher rank. Plus the pros of being able to make fastpasses at 60 days and stay in the Disney bubble makes it more enjoyable in our opinions. For only a five day trip, if the room is only to sleep in it might be cheapest to stay at the all stars too but that's my opinion.

My family only goes to Disney with the military discounts thanks to my dad and we looked into SOG but for me and my mom, it was always cheaper to stay at a moderate with the room discount than SOG because he's such a higher rank. Plus the pros of being able to make fastpasses at 60 days and stay in the Disney bubble makes it more enjoyable in our opinions. For only a five day trip, if the room is only to sleep in it might be cheapest to stay at the all stars too but that's my opinion.
SOG is 60 days for FPs. I know it wasn't in the past.

The mil discount for Pop rooms is about 30 percent off.
The extra cost of SoG can vary by season. Be sure to look up the proper rank of the mil person to determine cost.

Each has pro's and con's (If my info is not accurate, someone please correct me)
Pop- can be less expensive, smaller rooms, great buses, free parking in the parks, definite Disney bubble atmosphere.
SoG- large rooms, relaxed atmosphere, predictable bus schedule, distant bus stops compared to Disney Resorts at the actual parks, you have to pay to park in the parks. Can cost more per night than a value, but your priorities may allow for that.
Are the bus stops that far from the others? I don't remember that, but I last went in 2017.

I would choose SOG every time. It is so beautiful, the pools are great, the rooms are huge and you can walk to the Poly with ease for any Disney feelings you want. The buses to AK and DHS aren't bad at all. Very predictable schedule. If we are going to MK or Epcot, we walk to the Poly and monorail from there.

Are the bus stops that far from the others? I don't remember that, but I last went in 2017.

They are only somewhat farther away, but the main issue is that there is no shelter. You are exposed to the sun or the rain as you stand in the parking lot where all the various non disney buses drop off and pick up guests.

One thing I didn't see mentioned here is that the military room rates were different last year than in previous years and that the availability was greatly reduced. Shades may be the best bet because with Star Wars coming online there may not be any more military room discounts next year. Same with the military salute tickets (although the general military discount may still be available). Best bet is this site https://www.militarydisneytips.com to keep up with discounts available for military and how it all works.

It is the same umbrella you use for those wonderful Florida daily storms.
You may already have it in your bag of tricks! (right next to your granola bars and your SPF 15 lip balm) :)
Great, when it's raining. A hat doesn't have ribs that can poke/injure others. A hat doesn't require constant usage of one's hand or hands.

We have stayed at SOG many times and our kids love it!! They have an amazing pool with water slides and another pool in a different area, a small playground, arcade and a very small PX that you can buy things at military pricing with no tax. This includes discount tickets to other area attractions. They have van service (for a small fee) to other parks like Universal and Seaworld. Just FYI, they also have a golf cart that will take you to the end of the road to cross the street to the Polynesian. We pay the driver a few bucks to take our family of 5.
The room pricing varies by rank but not by season. The rooms are large and very comfortable. Like others have said, the bus schedule is very timely and comfortable. They offer multiple discounts if you include breakfast or dinner during certain months and offer some monthly specials not available in other resorts.
For everything SOG has to offer, we love it. Close enough, but far enough away!!

First - Many thanks to your FIL... for fighting for his country, and his family for the sacrifice and keeping the home fires going... God Bless him and all of you...

Second - I would look at what is going to be easier with a 6 year old in tow... you will want a stroller for her, even if she doesn't normally use one, with all the walking you will need it or someone will be carrying her... trust me I promise... been there, done that ... have back problems to prove it... ...

Third - I would give yourself some room and privacy while family togetherness seems like a good idea a bit of space is nice... Family suites might be a good middle ground, or 2 rooms at a value...

Fourth - every step counts at Disney.... especially at night when you are walking back to the room...

Fifth - No matter which way you choose, I hope you have a wonderful and magically trip... pixiedust:

Just now tried to book POFQ with our military discount as we have done for several years. The cast member told me that the only military discount resorts for Oct. are the Copper Creek cabins! He actually said no other resorts were showing military discount availability. I asked if there were no available rooms at any other resorts or if Copper Creek was the only offering for Oct. He was very vague and said maybe I should just check back. I understand that WDW has the prerogative to offer the military discount, but we have used it consistently for about 7 years with no problems.

Just now tried to book POFQ with our military discount as we have done for several years. The cast member told me that the only military discount resorts for Oct. are the Copper Creek cabins! He actually said no other resorts were showing military discount availability. I asked if there were no available rooms at any other resorts or if Copper Creek was the only offering for Oct. He was very vague and said maybe I should just check back. I understand that WDW has the prerogative to offer the military discount, but we have used it consistently for about 7 years with no problems.

The military offer works like the other special offers in that there are a certain number of rooms available at that rate, and once they are booked then even if you see rooms available at a resort they won't be available at your military rate. Who knows how many rooms Disney makes available under each offer.

October is a popular time to go (F&W, MNSSHP, fall breaks from school), so the discounted offers fill up. Historically, the military offers come out at the end of September for the following year, so booking has been open for October for quite a while.

Can you modify your dates at all? If not, check back like the CM suggested.

Yes, trying to book 6 months out, I am sure most of the military rate rooms are taken.

October is the only month where I have had no luck getting a military discount. Ended up at the Dolphin instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter