Help with decision

beezerdave

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone. I hope this is a good place for this question. Three + years ago I was diagnosed with degenerative arthritis in my left knee. I started steroids which helped within the next year my right knee went bad. Got steroids in both and then doc gave me Monovisc in both. That all seemed to help some. Been getting worse and harder to walk over the last year or so. Due to my current health insurance I can’t afford any shots until 6 days before leaving for a planned trip to WDW and then it’s just steroids. Currently I can’t walk longer than 15 minutes before I’m in real pain. I'm thinking of canceling the trip. My fear is I get there and find I can’t walk around the park like I could and can’t find a rental or am just so miserable I’ll have an awful time and so will my partner and her kids (It would be their first time there ever.). Guess I’m just asking for some helpful opinions.

Hello everyone. I hope this is a good place for this question. Three + years ago I was diagnosed with degenerative arthritis in my left knee. I started steroids which helped within the next year my right knee went bad. Got steroids in both and then doc gave me Monovisc in both. That all seemed to help some. Been getting worse and harder to walk over the last year or so. Due to my current health insurance I can’t afford any shots until 6 days before leaving for a planned trip to WDW and then it’s just steroids. Currently I can’t walk longer than 15 minutes before I’m in real pain. I'm thinking of canceling the trip. My fear is I get there and find I can’t walk around the park like I could and can’t find a rental or am just so miserable I’ll have an awful time and so will my partner and her kids (It would be looke ever.). Guess I’m just asking for some helpful opinions.
look at renting a scooter/ECV for your trip. you need a new tool for your trip. you can always park scooter if you feel like walking for a short time and with the scooter you always have a seat to rest. the one thing I would tell you is take it easy on the walkers in your group

Do the steroids help? What other pain medicine (tylenol, motrin, etc) do you take? If the steroids are helpful and you can take tylenol. I would still go.(but i am also the person who flew to Disney three weeks after total knee replacement - not recommended - but I did). I would suggest renting a scooter from an outside vendor. You could then have it 24\7. I would never advise walking the parks with two bad knees. But a scooter becomes a game changer!!!

Do the steroids help? What other pain medicine (tylenol, motrin, etc) do you take? If the steroids are helpful and you can take tylenol. I would still go.(but i am also the person who flew to Disney three weeks after total knee replacement - not recommended - but I did). I would suggest renting a scooter from an outside vendor. You could then have it 24\7. I would never advise walking the parks with two bad knees. But a scooter becomes a game changer!!!
Steroids help some. Every six month I get Monovisc but I think the steroids help more. I have topical anti pain gel I use that offers a little relief but not much. Ibuprofen helps more. Thanks for your input.

As long as only issue is hurts to walk - rent a scooter and enjoy! I’m really not sure why so many people are hesitant to get a scooter. Even the most abled folks strugggle with all the walking. Don’t miss out on family time. Rent a scooter and enjoy every second.

Steroids help some. Every six month I get Monovisc but I think the steroids help more. I have topical anti pain gel I use that offers a little relief but not much. Ibuprofen helps more. Thanks for your input.

So... think of the scooter like Monovisc, but for WDW. It will give you the *most* pain relief possible. You won't wake up every morning with swollen joints, and you won't find yourself limping around the Resort.

A scooter is a tool - nothing more - to get a job (in this case, moving around) done. Just like you wouldn't probably hesitate to use prescription glasses to see better, a scooter at WDW a way to move around better.

No one will give you a second glance; there are so many folks using all different kinds of mobility devices at WDW that I promise, you will be a non-event. In fact, it's way more likely that someone will walk right in front of you, or right *into* you (folks here have had it happen!) because they just aren't paying attention to anyone else.

Don't be that person who needs another vacation to recover from their Disney World vacation when you get home! Use all the tools at your disposal to have a great trip! 🙂

My DH also has knee issues. At home he mostly uses a rollator , sometimes a cane. Could you share the gel you use that helps? Perhaps it's something to add to what DH uses beside shots and tylenol.
He will be using a scooter for the first time in a few weeks. The past 4 or 5 years he used a wheelchair, now it's time to make the next step. He is a little concern using the scooter. Our plan is get the scooter about 9 and spend some time at the resort to get a feel with driving, backing up etc.

When we first started with the wheelchair, DH didn't want it, but then he was in pain all the time. But when we did get, it was like a lightbulb came on. Wow, it's so much more enjoyable to be able to stop and watch outdoor shows.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Thanks everyone. Sounds like a scooter is the way to go. Now the logistics. We’ve rented a car for our stay. Coming into Orlando airport on a Monday morning around 10:30. We were going right to the park. There are four of us, two adults and two kids. How small are the scooters? Can they go in the trunk of a mid size or do I need to upgrade? Better to pick it up at the hotel or the scooter rental location or get one at the parks? (I would much rather pick up at park and then drop off at the end of the day.)

Last edited:
My DH also has knee issues. At home he mostly uses a rollator , sometimes a cane. Could you share the gel you use that helps? Perhaps it's something to add to what DH uses beside shots and tylenol.
He will be using a scooter for the first time in a few weeks. The past 4 or 5 years he used a wheelchair, now it's time to make the next step. He is a little concern using the scooter. Our plan is get the scooter about 9 and spend some time at the resort to get a feel with driving, backing up etc.

When we first started with the wheelchair, DH didn't want it, but then he was in pain all the time. But when we did get, it was like a lightbulb came on. Wow, it's so much more enjoyable to be able to stop and watch outdoor shows.

Hope you enjoy your trip.
I use Voltaren arthritis pain gel. Use to be prescription only but now it’s otc.

Thanks everyone. Sounds like a scooter is the way to go. Now the logistics. We’ve rented a car for our stay. Coming into Orlando airport on a Monday morning around 10:30. We were going right to the park. There are four of us, two adults and two kids. How small are the scooters? Can they go in the trunk of a mid size or do I need to upgrade? Better to pick it up at the hotel or the scooter rental location or get one at the parks? (I would much rather pick up at park and then drop off at the end of the day.)

While some of the scooters can fit in the trunk of a mid-size car, it could be challenging. If you can afford the expense, I'd upgrade to a small SUV or minivan, than you should be able to haul the scooter pretty easily.

We had a minivan with 6 people so we had to have the 3rd row up. We were able to easily disassemble the Victory Pride 3-wheel scooter (I highly recommend this one for battery life, comfort and ease of use) and fit it in the minivan. If you are able to fold down the 3rd row of a minivan, it would be a breeze. But, I also think you could fit in the back of an SUV as well.

We also used Gold Mobility and I highly recommend them. They have helpful videos on the site showing how to assemble/disassemble their scooters.

I was also reluctant to use a scooter the first time, but it was a life-saver and made the trip possible. I never could have managed without it. Enjoy your trip!

We’ve rented a car for our stay. Coming into Orlando airport on a Monday morning around 10:30. We were going right to the park. There are four of us, two adults and two kids.
If you plan to have it in the car with all the luggage -- absolutely you'll need to upgrade. If you plan to drop the luggage at the resort and pick-up the ECV, it should fit. Ask the ECV vendor about the vehicle they recommend.

With an in-park rental you run the risk of not getting one by mid-morning. The supply may replenish by early afternoon, but those units were used all morning and probably have not fully recharged. An off-site rental will be less expensive and you'll have it for the long walk back to transportation and to your room.

Parks are often are sold out at opening of business we have seen it over the weekend. I also recommend renting from an outside vendor also. You'll want to rent a Minivan or SUV with a hatch on the back. Smaller scooters are available you can fit in a trunk but the battery won't last all day. I never recommend a scooter other that the Victory 10 sized scooter. I also use Gold Mobility Scooters ever time I rent now, and I'm currently here using them at Saratoga Springs.

As long as only issue is hurts to walk - rent a scooter and enjoy! I’m really not sure why so many people are hesitant to get a scooter. Even the most abled folks strugggle with all the walking. Don’t miss out on family time. Rent a scooter and enjoy every second.

And when you first rent a scooter and break down in tears ("I actually had to rent a scooter!"), you won't be the first-been there, done that. And since it was a solo trip, I felt I needed to call DH and cry to him about it. But it didn't take long to realize how much better I felt without pain, and there were so many nice people. No one said anything snarky (and believe me, I was expecting it). Please rent a scooter-you'll be so glad you did.

And when you first rent a scooter and break down in tears ("I actually had to rent a scooter!"), you won't be the first-been there, done that. And since it was a solo trip, I felt I needed to call DH and cry to him about it. But it didn't take long to realize how much better I felt without pain, and there were so many nice people. No one said anything snarky (and believe me, I was expecting it). Please rent a scooter-you'll be so glad you did.
It was emotional time for me the first time, but it was 150% the best thing I ever did.

Thanks everyone. Sounds like a scooter is the way to go. Now the logistics.

First the medical: I also have 2 badly arthritic knees and have for several years now. The doctor (my HMO) won't replace them because I'm "too young" and they wanted to wait until I'm 60. I think they want to see if I would die first - lol! I swear it's been a challenging many years now. I can get steroid shots every 4 months. I used to be able to go a bit longer sometimes but now I don't get nearly as much relief from the shots. I also have gastritis and Advil is usually a no go for me although it helps but my stomach pays the price.

I have rented a scooter for several years now for my trips. My kids were younger when I started and young adults now but it is awesome to be able to keep up with them and do anything and everything I want. Disney is the ONLY place I can go on vacation and say that. It's why I keep going back.

If you're staying on property I would rent off-site (I also like Gold Mobility) and meet them at the hotel to pick it up. We did this in December. I dropped off all the luggage, got my scooter, and went to the park. We didn't rent a car though.

If you're off-site or want to be able to take the scooter in the car, consider renting the portable model that breaks down relatively easy into parts. I would think you and another adult could get it together. If you have trouble lifting heavy objects - it's somewhat heavy. The rental scooters at the park are awful and also more expensive. If you rent off-site be sure and get a 3 wheel because the turning radius is much better for the park lines.

At this point I use the scooter for most of the park lines - some of the lines are really long (Soarin) just to get to the ride area. For shops I usually park and walk inside. If I'm feeling good I park and walk around the lands (like in Epcot). Generally just park wherever there is stroller parking. I hope you have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter