Help with Disneyland/universal planning

firsttimer4

Mouseketeer
We have done Disneyworld many times but are debating a Disneyland/Universal trip next October. We are thinking 5 days total. How many days do we need at each place? Where are the best places to stay?
Please give me all the info! Thanks
@claudiaken

Last edited:
I am going to DL for a day next month for the first time in a very long time, so I have been reading a lot on these boards over the past few weeks. I would say my first question for you is, does it have to be October? Honestly if it does I would go somewhere else. October seems miserable at DL

I am going to DL for a day next month for the first time in a very long time, so I have been reading a lot on these boards over the past few weeks. I would say my first question for you is, does it have to be October? Honestly if it does I would go somewhere else. October seems miserable at DL
We wanted to see the haunted mansion overlay for Halloween and my kids have fall break so they are off a Monday and Tuesday in October. I didn't realize October was such a bad time for Disneyland. Guess I should do some more research

We wanted to see the haunted mansion overlay for Halloween and my kids have fall break so they are off a Monday and Tuesday in October. I didn't realize October was such a bad time for Disneyland. Guess I should do some more research

You and everyone else's kids too , including Arizona which always brings in extra people as well. Seriously , after the first week of October is the worst time to go especially for your first trip , the crowds will be very heavy and may force you to feel rushed.
In addition Oogie Boogie parties will be starting up and if not going to the parties , DCA will close at 6pm to regular guests.

The haunted mansion overlay stays through the Holiday season as well , through early January so if that is one major decision in going in October , rest assured you don't have to limit yourself.

Also "best" hotels are subjective depending on your family needs and desires in accommodations. The most veteran people will always recommend walking distance , again this is subjective as some consider anything not across the street
"too far".

This all said is not to dissuade from visiting , just want those to have realistic expectations and details can help us cater answers and recommendations :)

As everyone else has said. Try to avoid October if at all possible. Early November can be great and the Haunted Mansion Holiday is up and running through Christmas.

Personally, I always try to go in Jan/Feb but we aren't partial to any of the holiday offerings.

The go either in November, September or December. Haunted Mansion Holiday will be up for all those months and you won't end up miserable.

Also wanted to add if you've been to Universal in Florida..I still think ours pales in comparison and not necessarily worth a visit. Now with NIntendo Land opening that could sway me but it remains to be seen. Also our CityWalk is nowhere near the size or capacity over in Florida.
We've actually never done Universal Florida. Every time we go we just stay in Disneyworld

We've actually never done Universal Florida. Every time we go we just stay in Disneyworld

Oh okay , hmm. Well I will say having been to both and US in Florida in September 2018..Florida's park blows the Hollywood one away in every aspect. I needed two full days and it worked out because crowds were nearly nonexistent but also recall a hurricane was looming a few days away. It ended up going north but as a Floridian knew people would scatter.
In October it's hard to say because they run Horror Nights but have heard it can be busier.
We have done Disney World three times in October. How do the crowds compare?

Honestly take those crowds from all 4 parks , and jam them into MK alone. I am not trying to scare you off but really I have been to DLR several times this October and if I didn't use DAS and Genie+ together , it would have been far too much for me.
I saw multiple meltdowns , parents and kids alike. Higher crowds means higher chance of ride breakdowns due to higher capacity loading as well.

California stays hottest in September and October , it is a dry heat but we had days that were seriously above average at 115 degrees, we do get several days of high 90s still usually.

There's been some great trip reports posted lately I recommend reviewing.

I can agree! Just got back from a week at DL (had to go in October for various reasons) and the parks were absolutely packed. And hot (by CA standards, 90 for a few days). If we had not purchased Genie+ and did early entry, it would not have been good, especially at DCA - which I would probably skip or only spend a few hours there on a future trip. Loved DL and had a great time, just be prepared for huge crowds if you go in October.

At the end of the day, if you want to go and this is the only time that works for you, just do your homework and be prepared. Most reports I have seen on this forum have shown how rough/crazy/crowded October is. But there was someone posting alongside that really seemed to have a great trip. She worked hard each day with Genie+ and fishing and it paid off.

I think you need only 1 day at universal Hollywood.
I would do 1 night at DCA for WOC. I think 1 day is fine to see most things if you rope drop.
I would spend 2 days at DL. One night on the weekend for fireworks, and another on the weekend for Fantasmic. If you only have 1 weekend night I would try to get viewing for the 1st Fantasmic show (through hungry bear package or River Belle Terrace (not at the restaurant for dinner but get the tickets for seating at RoA) and then watch the fireworks from there.

We are in the same boat - many WDW trips, first timers at DL. We are booked for February 2023. We got 3 day park hopper with Genie+ and plan to do 1 day at Universal. We have never been to Universal Orlando so nothing to compare. We plan to have one day off and not really sure what we will do on the day off as I think it may be too chilly to swim.

I can agree! Just got back from a week at DL (had to go in October for various reasons) and the parks were absolutely packed. And hot (by CA standards, 90 for a few days). If we had not purchased Genie+ and did early entry, it would not have been good, especially at DCA - which I would probably skip or only spend a few hours there on a future trip. Loved DL and had a great time, just be prepared for huge crowds if you go in October.
I just wanted to point out for those considering coming in October that 90 degrees is pretty standard for September and October in Southern California/Anaheim particularly. They are two of the hottest months of the year. We 100s that time of year as well. Fall in SoCal isn’t generally cool.

I think you need only 1 day at universal Hollywood.

I would agree with this. We did 1 day at Universal a couple years ago during a DL trip and that was enough time to see everything we wanted to do. And with the hour+ commute (depending on traffic) from DL area we didn't want to do that more than one time on our visit. Maybe instead of 2 Universal days just do 1 and then add in a Knotts Berry Farm day. It is quite a bit closer to DL which is nice.

You didn’t say what 5 days of the week you are considering. October is crazy (you can see in my signature we do Oct often!) as others have said. You mention the kids being off Monday/Tues as part of their fall break, for funsies I am going to assume you are thinking Fri-Tues as park days. This is what I would do… Fri-Sun in DL and DCA, then you should be able to see WOC one night, Fantasmic one night and fireworks one night (this also gives you a buffer if the night time shows get cancelled due to weather one night—storms do happen in Oct.) Sunday could be the OBB (Halloween party), which you could watch WOC whatever they are running for the party that night (and yes, I would pay to go to the party). Then Mondays tend to be their own special kind of hell in the parks, I would pay to Uber etc and spend the day at universal and not move hotels. And then come back to DL on Tuesday for a 4th day. Having 4 days, rope dropping every day, and then closing the parks (think in line at 6:45 am and leaving the parks at midnight), and allowing for a break from 1-4 ish for naps would be my plan of attack. Stay on site if you want to spend $$$ or stay across the street. I wish you luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter