Help with finding flights for August 2004

SNOWHITE7

Mouseketeer
We will be making our first DVC trip in August 2004 and I have just started looking for flights. I haven't been able to find prices on the Virgin Atlantic or BA web sites yet. Any advice on where to look for the best prices and when to book would be appreciated. We don't want a car as we intend to stay on site most of the time so I'm not really interested in fly drives.

I know this time of year gets booked up quickly and is expensive because of school holidays but as our son is now in secondary school we feel we can no longer take him out during term time.

Although we have been to WDW four times before this will be the first time we have travelled without booking a package so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

www.klm.com

We got return flights for around £300 under what we were quoted by the likes of Expedia for this October... In total we saved in excess of a grand.

I'm not sure when the dates for next summer go up, but make sure the above site is one you check out first (always look under their USA deals, otherwise you won't get the cheap flights).

Flights direct from the airlines only go onsale 11 months beforehand, so you'll only see them after you've hit 11 months prior to your return date. The only way to book earlier is thru a brochure, but that will only be Fly-drive. I'm not sure if you can buy a fly-drive and not utilise the car option - I know someone who did it, but I have also heard of others saying there is a surchage if you don't...so your guess is as good as mine on that one!

I went in August last year and direct flights with Virgin cost just over £600 for an adult - ick!

Ours worked out at £375, travelling:

Edinburgh - Amsterdam
Amsterdam - Detroit
Detroit - Orlando

No big waits in between flights either - a bargin compared to what we normally pay!

Originally posted by SNOWHITE7
We don't want a car as we intend to stay on site most of the time so I'm not really interested in fly drives.

You should always compare the price of flight only with that of fly drive.

I always stay on site.

I never use a car.

Virgin Holidays fly-drive Gatwick/Orlando is usally cheaper than Virgin Atlantic flight only.

I usually book Virgin Holidays with the minimum one week car hire included, and never show up at the rental desk to collect my car. I have now done this three times. Only once did they ask for a surcharge for not using the car, but it still worked out cheaper.

Andrew

Thanks for all your replies.

DisneyDiver - I will check klm when the prices are announced for next August, you certainly got great prices. However we really need direct flights as my son really hates take off and landing and getting him on one flight is hard enough let alone three.

Andrew - I had considered doing that but thought the surcharge would make it more expensive. A few months ago I checked the prices on the Virgin Holidays web site and on the fly drive they had an option not to take a car but that has now changed. I would like to do this as I am a member of the Frequent Virgin Club and would get a discount. Thanks for your advice I will definately compare the prices. Do you remember how much the surcharge was?

Originally posted by SNOWHITE7
Do you remember how much the surcharge was?

It was two or three years ago, so I can't remember. It was fairly nominal though, and still cheaper than flight only.

Andrew

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter