• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help with info on Vertigo/Motion medications???

Wishing on a star

DIS Veteran
I have never taken any of these before. But might need them on the vacation we are planning. I have Height Vertigo.... (just now finding out that instead of the ears, this might be triggered by a neurological thing associated with the eyes!!!)

I am hoping that there are some wonderful people here who can give me their experience with the different meds.

There seems to be:
Meclizine (Antivert, Bonine)
Dramamine

I am also seeing:
Promethazine (Phenergan) But, I am thinking I remember this knocks me out cold!

Are any of these more helpful, or have lessor side effects?

Thanks to anyone who might have some insight!

Bonine used to be my go-to for motion sickness, and works really well. But I tried "Motioneaze" on my last cruises and think it's even better. It's an all natural remedy and you just place a drop behind each ear:

http://motioneaze.com/

The best thing is that you can use it even after symptoms start, with relief in about 5 minutes. I found out later that the fishing charters in my area are all keeping it onboard now for tourists who are all excited for some deep sea fishing and then go out and get sea sick and have a bad experience. :crazy2:

Since you mentioned a type of vertigo, the same company makes an anti-vertigo formula you might try:

http://di-vertigo.com/

Have fun on your trip :thumbsup2

I can not take Dramamine, it just makes me groggy, but doesn't help my symptoms

Bonine works okay. I have to make sure I take it, before really getting up and being active, or riding in the car for a long time. If I already feel sick, it does nothing for me.

The best for me is the transdermal patch

We recommend Bonine (meclizine) on the boat where I work for motion sickness, but I don't know anything about how that would affect vertigo. As the poster above mentioned, the trick is to take it BEFORE you feel badly. Usually a dose an hour prior will suffice but if someone is extremely prone we recommend a dose at night before bed and then another one an hour before whichever activity you anticipate being an issue.

Still see plenty of people get sick who have told me they took medication, though. I think the most effective thing is the prescription patch.

On our cruise last year I got vertigo from a ear/sinus infection. I took Meclizine and it helped and I didn't have any side effects. I agree that the phenergan will probably make you sleepy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter